• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The old Shape up at Blacktown was good. Until Definition bought it out. I remember some huge boys and fit women trained there.

Also the Old Blacktown Workers club before Definition bought that one too!
Free weights before Pin weights!
The old Club had a unisex Sauna. Omg not a shirt in sight!!

i like MSB richmond. old school. like you just stepped back in time to 1979. i don't like their squat racks and leg equipment though...i'd never hit legs there. good atmosphere.

victory gym in footscray looks good but i've never been there.

olympia gym in sth melbourne is decent too. still old school.

i train @ doherty's in brunswick but i think their city gym is the best. thats got a metroflex/temple gym kind of feel there.

theres a few great old school/real bbing gyms here in melbourne. what ever happened to findlays?

Last edited:
Elite fitness in Phillip, Canberra. The owners and trainers are all competitive lifters, and the raw power of the powerlifting room was intense when I first went there. They had chalk, boxes, chains and bands. Only gym I have seen with this gear here.

Elite fitness in Phillip, Canberra. The owners and trainers are all competitive lifters, and the raw power of the powerlifting room was intense when I first went there. They had chalk, boxes, chains and bands. Only gym I have seen with this gear here.

Yeah pretty cool gym.

Strength Sports Gym is good, but I think the best gym I've ever been in was at the Suncorp Stadium. The gym at Southbank Institute of Technology would have ranked really highly if the floor was safe to deadlift on. Actually, in spite of that set-back, it still ranked really well back when I was a student there. They had a squat rack, a power rack, kettlebells, belts, chalk, about a dozen barbells (including a few womens barbells, a cambered bar or two and a trap bar), 3 EZ-bars, a parallel grip bar, a few cable machines, and plenty of shiny equipment as well (not that I used much of it, but I'm not going to downgrade a gym for having machine weights and cardio machines, since they do have their use).

Best gyms in New Zealand= powerhouse gym in Wellington and Eastside barbell in Christchurch.
Best I went to in USA was Metroflex in Texas, but I'm sure Supertraining in Sacremento and Westside in Columbus are crazy.
Best I have been to in Oz is ESP, although loser barbell is pretty cool- lol.

I'm gunna say derrimut 24/7 in caroline springs. It's got cross fit, UFC size octagon, boxing ring, powerlifting and the best damn machines I've ever seen including nautilus, hammer strengh and life fitness. Also classes up stares for those who like that stuff..I've only seen golds Venice beach on footage but this place is huge I'd say its Australia's golds. The first half hour I just walked around like a tourist lol when I started training I realised all the new ppl do the same after seeing some before haveing a chuckle to myself lol never seen a place with 10 of everything. Bench day mondays wouldn't even be a problem here lol

Got some real lifters too... there was a guy attempting a 360kg squat (equipped) in the monolift today...

was it gregg gordon?

Looking at some youtube videos... looked a bit like him... is he Melbourne based? ...
Edit : I'm beginning to distrust my gym partners counting of weight plates now i think about it, it might have only been high 200's, maybe 280

Last edited:
Looking at some youtube videos... looked a bit like him... is he Melbourne based? ...
Edit : I'm beginning to distrust my gym partners counting of weight plates now i think about it, it might have only been high 200's, maybe 280

Yep he's Melbourne based. Pretty sure he's a member here as well.

Golds Gym Venice Beach
World Gym Ashmore
Muscle and Fitness Gold Coast (doesnt exist anymore)
Archers Gym (doesnt exist anymore)
Fitness First Sydney City

mojo strength has a good set-up
my backyard gym is hard to beat
But when I lived in Chicago, we trained at this huge 24 hour gym, it had EVERYTHING. Basketball court, pool, ropes, boxing ring, spin classes, yoga classes, plus all the weights you could ever want. The wildlife wasnt too bad either. XSport Fitness I think it was called.
heres the link
http://www.xsportfitness.com/locations/lakeview-chicago-gym.html

Last edited:
Best gym ive trained in is still PTC sydney.
Followed closely by Warrior Performance in caringbah. Warrior is better equipped (best equipped strength in sydney imo), but the atmosphere in ptc in the earlier days was hard to beat.

Actually i might have to change my ranking haha. Warrior's owner Shannon Green is far more knowledgeable in all things training than any other gym ive trained in.

For all those in perth.

Trained at genesis bentley for about 6 months, best gym I've seen in perth in regards to equipment, layout & Variety pitty i had to move away :(