• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

power bands

Long Band (41in) tension stats, for some rough numbers. Even I think the way I do it is a little over zealous, but bringing in hooke's law is lol worthy.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/long-band-calibrations/

I know Iron Edge have some numbers on their site too, but not sure how they measured them.

Oni, from that set of pics you posted Pin Presses as an extra movement would be good. Ideally from a little below where you think you start decelerating, so you can learn to generate force through a disadvantaged position.

The monster mini's you have would add at least 20kg/40kg to the bottom/top of the lift when doubled for a bench press man. My red mini's add 18kg/35kg to my bench and I believe we're around the same height? For reverse bands, you could use the monsters but you would need a second set of safety pins so you could again "double" them up.

In that 80kg t'n'g vid tucking a little harder might help with form, think I might've said this before? You're flaring your elbows very early and basically at 90deg abduction off the chest. Not sure if this is usual with your paused benches too or perhaps because it was a max weight for you.

Paused benches are not like that but as I fatigue it increases which is why I've been sticking at a 9RPE. I seem to remember I slid back off the bench a little as well. Looks like I'll be rotating pin press a few inches off the chest, monster mini resisted bench and regular bench as my downsets then after the strongman comp

anyone wanna do some plate lift tests with a single band?

All I know is that at full extension in a squat (I'm 182cm) a blue band attached to the barbell sleeve will lift a 32.5kg Dumbell off the floor, needing some plates on top to stop it. One on each end of the barbell gives 60 to 70kg total tension at the top of my squat.

The Orange ones each give at least 45kg of tension at the top of my squat. Bugger to get in and out of the rack.

TBH I think it's easier just to take a tape measure into the gym and work it out on your phone than figure that graph out. The tension is in fractions of a hoojimiwhatsit as well, I forgot we were back in the 17th century again

How is it possible to attach those to the bar without it tipping over?

Load the bar with weights first. The bands are on the sleeves outside the plates.

No tension a the bottom of the squat, meaning you can get out of the hole with your normal squat poundage, and maximum resistance towards the end of the movement where you are the strongest.

I think this was mentioned earlier but you know those luggage scales?
You just attach that shit to the bands and lift it. When you let go even the cheap ones will have a marker where the greatest weight was. When doing reverse bands you just... pull it down lol

vonfram - yeah my physics just derped. Of course if the bar is fully loaded then adding 50kg to one side won't tip it over

Just adding to further discussion. In Mike Tuchscherer's Total Game Plan DVD he says (paraphrasing as I cba rewinding and playing a bunch of times):

Chains will target a weak part of the RoM (or reverse bands). Bands are more for affecting the over all shape of the force curve.

He also said that for guys that are fast off the chest and are slow through the rest of the lift then sets of 2-3 @7-8 is best for high volumes... Pretty much the opposite of what I was thinking LOL. So now I'm confused. I think when I get to a 100kg bench I will buy his weakness analysis and get a professional look at it as I'm getting two different prescriptions from looking at the same thing.

Until then I can always just alternate between the two prescriptions I guess.