• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

power bands

It depends what sort of training effect you are after. Obviously the greater the tension the bigger the contrast and overload.
For heavy work, ME etc:
The militia and nazareth barbell approach was uncrease tension over 4 weeks during the prep phase- starting from light tension to heavy tension. Thats kind of similar to the circa-max phase practised by some the WSB guys.

I know Mike suggests around 10%.

Are you sure you want to do that?

Hmmm good point. I just did the forum version of a Corey Worthington didn't i?

corey420-420x0.jpg

P. sure my question was legitimate
Causing a disturbance to alert of a potential disturbance, absolute classic

Spritcha if youre using them to increase volume at weakest joint angle should the band tension be such that the reps are smooth? Like when i bench he bar acelerates and decelerates a lot so with the bands it should be set up so velocity is constant or does it not matter?

You can do a lot with them. The contrast will determine the bar speed. It will probably change the force curve, but just how and how much will be determined by a lot of variables.
What exactly are you asking? Lockout? Mid-range? Ability to grind?

Bar decelerates the most a few inches off the chest and my force curve is a wedge. Classic noobie weaknesses

Spritcha, another easy way to test tension for bigger guys or those who cbf'd is to buy a luggage scale. Most have a digital readout on the top of the handle so they give you specific readings. Cost is about $15-$20 for a 50kg capacity, more expensive for higher capacities (up to 200kg).

[ame="http://youtu.be/ZlVpszQuTfQ"]SuperTraining.TV: Stand on the Band Deadlifts | How To - YouTube[/ame]

For me personally, I'm 5'10 conventional pull, when using the "Stand on Band' approach for deadlifts, bands give the following tensions:

Band type: tension at bottom kg/ tension at top kg

Mini Band (red): 0kg/20kg

Small Band(orange): 0kg/30kg

Light band (purple): 0kg/45kg

When using band-resisted movements starting out with a 10% tension is a good place to start, for band assisted movements (reverse band work) 10-20% would be my suggestion.

Or you can anchor them to something of known weight like heavy dumbells and barbell plates and keep adding weight until it stops coming off the ground. Add up the weights required and that's the resistance of the band.

Bar decelerates the most a few inches off the chest and my force curve is a wedge. Classic noobie weaknesses

I'm assuming you already do paused bench. I'd say for you lighter tension, good bar speed but also varied contrast.

Last edited:
Yeah i do all paused reps atm. A only have micro minis and monster minis. I was thinking doing something like a paused 4rm with bands. I honestly doubt their effectiveness as it seems like the tension increases too slow or too late in the rep instead of increasing through the weak joint angle if that makes sense?

Hm thinking about it the tension would increase sooner the more prestretched they are... This is why i hate bands lol

Yeah i do all paused reps atm. A only have micro minis and monster minis. I was thinking doing something like a paused 4rm with bands. I honestly doubt their effectiveness as it seems like the tension increases too slow or too late in the rep instead of increasing through the weak joint angle if that makes sense?

Are you doubling them up man? Also where'd you get your bands from? I gotta grab some new micro's soon.

yeah as bams says- you can change the tension of the band. There are two different lengths you can buy, you can double, choke etc.

I got them from underground elite
Alright so you mentioned contrast... is this the amount the tension changes throughout the rep?
Am I right in thinking that I will need a lighter band - say the micro mini doubled up - and stretch it out over the pegs when I loop it over the bar so that there is plenty of tension at the start of the rep but it doesn't increase all that much through the rep?

I got them from underground elite
Alright so you mentioned contrast... is this the amount the tension changes throughout the rep?
Am I right in thinking that I will need a lighter band - say the micro mini doubled up - and stretch it out over the pegs when I loop it over the bar so that there is plenty of tension at the start of the rep but it doesn't increase all that much through the rep?

yeah the contrast is the difference from top to bottom. If you double a band there will be less contrast but more constant tension. I think playing around with both is worthwhile. More contrast will overload the top more.

So... keep with regular rep and RPE and just add the bands? or do they suit a different range?

Have you had a lift analysis with Mike? I'm the opposite to you. In fast off the chest slowing at lockout. However a buddy of mine is similar to you (he is a 145kg version) and he got great result from the slingshot and reverse bands.