• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best way to log activity

Riddles

So I'm considering a good way to log my exercise and stuff and I'm not sure what might be the best way to do things. Basically I would like to keep track of my progress and be able to look back and understand what courses me to make progress (or lack thereof). I've started a diary which has the benefit of being able to include other thoughts and experiences throughout the day but it doesn't track lifts and progress so easily as other methods that automatically graph it out for you and other fancy things.

I know some people log their workouts on a thread here or in other forums. And there are things such as fitocracy and other loggers.

But I'd like to start with a discussion on what works for you and why you think it works so well.

I've been using Flex on the iPhone now for a couple of years and am quite happy with it.

I also duplicate that log info on here

I'm also looking for an app for the iPhone to log with, and will allow the data to be easily transferred to my log on here!

Was using gym buddy but the data needs changing to much once posted here to remove all times and workout names

I've been using Flex on the iPhone now for a couple of years and am quite happy with it.

I also duplicate that log info on here

Does flex allow for this or do you log it here manually ?

Last edited:
I thought about that, but I like the way an app will do the math for ya and present it nice and easy to read!

I'd end up wrecking the book before years end and fill most pages with sweat! my wife already thinks I spend to much time training as it is, imagine trying to explain why the pages of my 'training diary' are stuck together..... ;)

I hate phones in the gym so i take a notepad and pen and have been doing so for years, I think I have about 8 or more notebooks with all my workouts logged in them.

I seldom log but when I do its the old fashion pen and paper, its too easy to just browse through a book and have a look, too many ppl in gyms spend half their time looking at their ithiings and/or phones

I seldom log but when I do its the old fashion pen and paper, its too easy to just browse through a book and have a look, too many ppl in gyms spend half their time looking at their ithiings and/or phones

It's something to do in between sets, if i didn't do that i'd need something else, i can't do nothing for even 60 seconds without getting antsy.

I used an app called Gymrat on my Android phone.. I'm a fan of it. Easy to set up a specific workout/routine in it and when you go into the app each day it has your workout for that day ready to rock - some neat little graphs and calculators n whatnot mixed in if that's your thing. One of my favourite features is quite simply how easy it is to start the "rest" timer - you put put in what you got on that set and hit "save & rest" and the timer automatically starts (based on the rest interval you've set - which can also be changed very quickly for just that set if you want a longer/shorter rest) and when the timer hits zero it makes a little noise and/or vibrates to let you know its time to do some work again..

I'm also like NFT though in that I need something to keep me occupied between sets otherwise I get bored and either jump back under the bar too soon or get distracted and end up losing 10 minutes.

jefit or fitocracy for me.

fitocracy is great that it gives you a link to your session if you do a ausbb log as well.

I use myfitnesspal for food, and but its by no means the best way to log cardio IMO (mind you I still put the cardio in there to help keep a track of daily calories). I swear by my Garmin watch and HRM, so i upload all cardio activities onto the Garmin Connect site, the use of the HRM makes the calorie burn more accurate than just using generic numbers in Myfitnesspal.

For weights I use Fitness buddy for Android. Its pretty good, but I might give some of the others that people have mentioned here a crack as well.

I use a pencil and a piece of paper. I don't take my phone into the gym, I'm always scared I'll drop something on it.