• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Cause I cbf creating a new thread could anyone tell me if Im doing something bad here, decided to try deads for the first time in 8 months, this is 160kg

160kgx1 Deadlift - YouTube

The biggest problem is your setup. You start with the bar way too far out over the toes with your knees forward. This forces you to do a SLDL.

Start with the bar over the middle of your foot and keep it there as you set up. This will result in your shins being more vertical than they are now. Take more slack out of the bar to get the upper back tight. Bring your hips closer to the bar to initiate the pull (which will get the hips to start in a lower position than they currently are). Keep the bar against your shins and keep your chest up as you drive your hips through.

So bring stance in, then work on flexibility so that I can pull off a wider stance?
I don't think I have weak external rotators, I just don't have the flexibility to do it. I'll work on the goblet squats as gooby says too

A twenty kg dumbbell works well, no need to go heavy with this exercise, just rep's ,and lots.

You're doing the gob's right when your elbows are between the knees.

The proggression is then moving to front squatting, then to over-head squatting, keeping the gob squat as a warm-up or to grease the groove, so to speak.

Front squatting places an emphasis on the lower extremities, for which I believe transfers nicely to the squat, building strength here takes the pressure off the lower back.

A few months of this will make the difference.

Yep, bring stance in and slowly take it out as you get used to getting your knees out. The way I see it, you're only getting a leverage advantage to the extent to you can get your knees out and sit between your hips. If you lack the flexibility or control to get your knees out further, by taking the stance out, you're actually reducing the force you can transmit through the ground as well as point your knee joint in a compromised position.

That said, even if you did improve your flexibility, wider might not necessarily be better for you. I would suggest at looking at top squatters who have similar proportions to you. The fact you are a very good conventional deadlifter suggests to me that a slightly narrower stance might work better anyway.

I'm not suggesting your external rotators are weak. Your deadlift suggests the opposite. But you may not be fully utilising them at the bottom of the squat. The band around the knees is sort of like wearing a loose belt: simply having something there to resist against can cue the right muscles to fire at the right time.

Thanks

A twenty kg dumbbell works well, no need to go heavy with this exercise, just rep's ,and lots.

You're doing the gob's right when your elbows are between the knees.

The proggression is then moving to front squatting, then to over-head squatting, keeping the gob squat as a warm-up or to grease the groove, so to speak.

Front squatting places an emphasis on the lower extremities, for which I believe transfers nicely to the squat, building strength here takes the pressure off the lower back.

A few months of this will make the difference.

Did these today, I need my feet turned out a fair bit

Dick Peters invented (in no particular order), the Masters-X Police and Fire strict-curl only record, the past-parallel squat, the Dick Peters DVD (starring Dick Peters and son Tadpole), the reach-around by a Phillipino boy, and the patented NASA STEROID GRAVEYARD t-shirt* (all rights reserved). He brought you himself (Dick), his son Tadpole, world-record-holding senior-citizen powerlifting, and America's Most Successful Athlete? J.T. Hall (sponsored by Inzer).

Everyone poo-poos Dick Peters when all he wants to do is run the country's largest privately owned powerlifting federation and save the sport. You might not understand this, because you all use 2.5m knee wraps, and that extra half-meter is cheating. The 2.5m knee wraps are gateway gear; soon, you're sucking tranny cock in a gas station bathroom for one squat session in a canvas suit. And then you'll be off squatting high, taking drugs, and raping children.

Good thing we have Dick Peters to save our sport. He tried to warn us a long time ago, but nobody listened. All the good NASA lifters betray him and leave, because they're record-chasing dick-lickers. It's not him. It's them.

If you want to be a part of REAL powerlifting, go compete in NASA, where you will be first place by default at every meet you ever do. If you get in good with Dick and tickle his sack a little under the head table at your next NASA meet, he'll nominate you for NASA Athlete of the Year. And NASA has the best trophies; the Westside Pro belt was just a pap-smeared NASA belt. That just shows how people have been riding Dick's dick since Dick won those IPF Junior championships as a coach. Did I mention he's the most prolific meet promoter in the history of the world?

And just so you know, fat Dick Peters is slimming down making a comeback to competition--provided he can make the limit for SHW, get ready to find out all over again what REAL powerlifting is all about.

"Many Westerners seem oblivious to the fact that the general paradigm of periodization was based heavily upon the philosophies and methodologies of communism. The cyclical nature of periodization was strongly influenced by the “five-year plans” and other cycles of productivity in the Soviet system, while the precise calculation of training quantities reflected attempts to minimize the unscientific factors of subjectivity and emotiveness.” - Verkhoshansky

"Many Westerners seem oblivious to the fact that the general paradigm of periodization was based heavily upon the philosophies and methodologies of communism. The cyclical nature of periodization was strongly influenced by the “five-year plans” and other cycles of productivity in the Soviet system, while the precise calculation of training quantities reflected attempts to minimize the unscientific factors of subjectivity and emotiveness.” - Verkhoshansky

That and magical unicorns.