• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hey @Fadi; just an off topic question if I may. You trained at the A.I.S. in the 80s, did you know Robert Kabbas?

I first picked up a Barbell in 1984 during the Los Angles Olympic Games after watching Australians Robert Kabbas and Dean Lukin. Robert Kabbas was a sort of hero to me as a kid. I used to do Clean n Jerks with my Fathers barbell with 15 lbs plates either side. We never really heard of Robert Kabbas after the L.A. Games, he seemed to disappear. Thanks for your time Fadi. :)

Hi Sir,

Yes I did know him and his father. We had a nice long chat at the 1982 Commonwealth games in Brisbane where I was only an up and coming young weightlifter back then...

Dean Lukin used to give me lifts to the AIS when he came over to train with us for few weeks, so I know him as well.

Even though I know these two former lifters (as well as other Australian Champions) of that time, I would doubt very much that they would know me. People usually know you when you're at the top of your game, and back then (to these Champs), I was still climbing up the weightlifting mountain as others like me were at the time. I have great respect for Robert, Dean, Tony Pignone (middleweight champ back then), who visited us at the AIS and made a comment when he saw me squatting, he said: "man, if I can squat like that I'd be breaking world records." I thought that was pretty cool coming from the champ himself. Ah, the good old day...

I left the game of weightlifting just as my feet were getting wet,....oh well, we move on and we learn from our childish mistakes!

Last edited:
Hey [MENTION=7738]Timeah[/MENTION]; what's the principle behind Powerlifters doing higher frequency Squatting?

It's not for the hormonal response or conditioning is it? It's just to teach the Body to Squat better isn't it?

Hey [MENTION=7738]Timeah[/MENTION]; what's the principle behind Powerlifters doing higher frequency Squatting?

It's not for the hormonal response or conditioning is it? It's just to teach the Body to Squat better isn't it?
Couple of things.
Firstly definately makes you better at doing it. Practice makes perfect rings true there.

Secondly, like training any other muscle group multiple times a week, can get bigger/stronger quicker - providing of course you are recovering quick enough also. More volume (again providing adequate recovery) equals more gains faster.

Why would you train biceps once a week when your biceps can and will happily recover and accept much more work than that and therefore respond quicker.

Get what im saying?

Tim.

Couple of things.
Firstly definately makes you better at doing it. Practice makes perfect rings true there.

Secondly, like training any other muscle group multiple times a week, can get bigger/stronger quicker - providing of course you are recovering quick enough also. More volume (again providing adequate recovery) equals more gains faster.

Why would you train biceps once a week when your biceps can and will happily recover and accept much more work than that and therefore respond quicker.

Get what im saying?

Tim.

Cheers mate. So it's pretty much not just limited to Squats, although I remember Sticky saying train Deads only once per week.

I just wondered if it was Squats which they specifically chose to use a higher frequency. Thanks. On spread again.

Not sure where it originated from but most 5x5 formats including Madcows had squat and bench 3 x week and deadlift once although one of the bench sessions could be incline.

Even deadlifting more than once a week wont kill you. Just need to be mindful of the volume you are exposing the lifter too. 5x5 deads once a week or 3x5 twice. Id probably pick the 3x5 option and vary the intensity.

Tim.