• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Mick's 2013 Body Transformation

Monday the 7th of Octobr 2013:

Week 1, Month 2 of 5/3/1, 3 month challenge

PRESS:

Warm Up:
65lb x 5
65lb x 5

Set 1 - 100lb x 5 reps
Set 2 - 115lb x 5 reps
Set 3 - 130lb x 5 reps

BENCH PRESS:
150lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

PULL UPS:
5, 4, 4, 2 = 15 (yes I suck at pull ups)

LAT PULLDOWN:
145lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

PREACHER CURLS:
60lb - 3 sets of 10 reps

TRICEP PUSH DOWN:
70lb - 3 sets of 10 reps

EDIT:
I am an idiot....forgot to go max reps on the last set of 5/3/1 presses.......Faaaarrrrkkkkkk, my bulk is ruined..........

Last edited:
Tuesday the 8th of October 2013:

Week 1, Month 2 of 5/3/1, 3 month challenge

DEAD LIFT:

Warm Up:
145lb x 5
185lb x 5

Set 1 - 240lb x 5
Set 2 - 280lb x 5
Set 3 - 315lb x 7

SQUAT
180lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

AB CRUNCHES:
5 sets of 20 reps

Thursday the 3rd of October 2013:

Week 1, Month 2 of 5/3/1, 3 month challenge.

BENCH PRESS:
Warm Up:
125lb x 5
125lb x 5

Set 1 - 170lb x 5
Set 2 - 195lb x 5
Set 3 - 220lb x 9

PEC DEC MACHINE:
120lb - 3 sets of 10

MILITARY PRESS:
95lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

T BAR ROWS:
120lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

PREACHER CURLS:
60lb - 3 sets of 10 reps

TRICEP PUSH DOWN:
70lb - 3 sets of 10 reps

Mick, a question if I may, regarding the bench press in your workout....

Set 1 - 170lb x 5
Set 2 - 195lb x 5
Set 3 - 220lb x 9

If you can do 9 reps with 220lbs on your last set
What is the reasoning behind doing only 5 reps and with lighter weights in the two preceding sets?

I am no expert on 5/3/1, but I believe it's all to prepare for that final set that is a near max effort. I know one thing even now hours after the workout my chest is pumped and throbbing, I can feel the blood going through it as I am typing this.

If you go back to my first week you can see my comments where I think it's the easiest workout I have ever done, and it is reasonably easy, but it seems to work so far.

Ask me again in a few months to see how it's going, week three of month three I will be testing my one rep maxes for each lift again, and I am hoping they will be better than my signature, feeling pretty confident at this stage to be honest that I will smash them.

This is only a three month cycle, at this stage I am thinking that after my new 1 rep maxes are set I will have a week off training and then start another three months challenge using my new 1 rep max and different assistance exercises.

The first two sets are essentially heavy warm ups, building up to the final "all out" set.. Still heavy enough to give you a bit of work but not so heavy as to negatively effect the third. Or something to that effect - Wendler does explain it in the book but I can't remember his exact wording and CBF hunting for the right bit atm ;)

That sounds silly to me
There are already two warmup sets beforehand, so those first two 'work sets' are just a waste of energy.
Why not make the first work set 220lbs, chances are you'll be able to get 10 or more reps and you'll be able to increase the weight on the next two work sets, or do all three sets at the heaviest weight.

Last edited:
Friday the 11th of October 2013:

Week 1, Month 2 of 5/3/1, 3 month challenge.

SQUATS:
Warm Up:
130lb x 5
155lb x 5

Set 1 - 205lb x 5
Set 2 - 235lb x 5
Set 3 - 270lb x 7

DEAD LIFT:
240lb - 5 sets of 10 reps

ABS:
5 x 20 Leg Raises

Will be retesting my new PR week three of month three, looking forward to it, but I think all numbers should be going up:)