• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sumo/conventional deadlifts

does anyone here do both conventional and sumo deadlifts?

I recently switched to sumo, love doing them, but they hit my legs are lot harder, is there any issue with doing them as a lower body movment and conventional deadlifts for back?? or would that be considered too much??

some good reads, nothing really pn doing them both in the one routine that I can see though...

I read somewhere, I think it was alberto nunez, recommended if you do sumo, to do rack pulls from above the knee, as an accessory or on a different day, Ive been doing this, I am thinking though, squats, sumo deads and deads multiple times a week plus a sport like waterskiing could be pushing it a bit!!

You never know about the volume until you have given it a fair old crack for a while, then if you feel too beat up, drop it back a bit.

The first question you need to ask is "What training effect are you trying to get from performing this exercise?"

He is trying to do a Goosey.

I pull heavy conventionals on wedesdays (5x3 at 265) and sumos on saturday.

yeah if i was to convert to sumo i would do both, as you said sumo hits your legs a lot harder, need to keep the conventional in there to keep up the back strength to be able to maintain position in sumo. i wouldnt run sumo on its own

Gooby has the right way of thinking about it
If you're doing it to increase your sumo pull then sumo pull. The sumo pull is more of a hip exercise where the deadlift is more of a lower back exercise. If you're doing them to get stronger at deadlifts, you're taking a lot of the stress off the lower back yet this is probably the area you need to put the most stress on in order to get stronger.

The example of Dan Green is a good one, he does the deficit pulls afterwards. One thing I'd be careful of is training sumo and neglecting conventional. I can't find many examples of people that pull sumo in training and then conventional come meet time. The obverse of this is true however. There are also lots of people that train BOTH so if you want to build up your sumo pull I would make sure that you're doing some lower back intensive work or deadlifting as well.

Sticky i remember you saying you pulled sumo for a bit when your si joint blew up. What did your training look like and how did it effect your deadlift when you switched back?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydFg5gvZ-o]Deadlift Sumo AND Conventional - YouTube[/ame]

>little carryover from one lift to the other but:
>If you suck at one, it will improve the other
>strongest guys are strong everywhere
>they legit just get fucking strong everywhere, every stance, every grip, every position

Mark Bell suggests high carryover b/w different forms of pulls

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoqhPE8yXE]Deadlift, Cube Method and Westside - YouTube[/ame]

Another consideration- recovery- I had a conversation with some Russian lifters back in 2007 at the IPF worlds. They said they all pull sumo because you can pull heavy sumo and squat heavy, but if you pull heavy conventional your squat will suffer. I think it was Lebedko who said to be even if you are better at conventional you pull sumo. However, guys like Tuchsherer pull conventional and squat big- but then again he is built to deadlift.

That would partially lend itself to the training program that they chose though right?
Just pulled up a 5 day Sheiko and in the first week they are pulling 5x a week and squatting 4 for pretty high volume. At the risk of sounding like a pussy, this would be different if your training volume was sensible do you think?

Absolutely. I had assumed that the Ruskies pulled sumo because they believed it to be better in terms of leverages etc- but they said it was actually a decision based on your ability to manage fatigue- which is all about balancing heavy squatting and heavy deadlifting. Volume, intensity and loading are all relevant- as is bodyshape and your god-given leverages- although none of them pulled conventional- even though some were short and fat and others tall and long limbed. But then again there may be differences between raw and equipped. In my weight class at the raw worlds the top 3 deadlifters all pulled conventional- including the Russian.