• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bench proper form

kyronE

i'd like to start training my bench for comp's but i have noticed the form is a lot different to the way i bench. so that i don't go and try it without learning about it

has anyone got any advice on proper bench press form

joking right? theres a sticky thread by sticky. Also youtube dave tate bench press and dave tate 'so you think you can bench'

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that perhaps the typical competition style bench does not suit everyone, and that you may just simply need to experiment to work out what setup/technique is strongest and safest for you, and practice practice practice.

For example, for me it seems a mild arch, quite narrow grip (shoulder width) and touching a little higher than most is both the strongest and safest setup for me. Every time I try to use a more conventional PL sort of setup, my numbers drop, fail to improve and I get injured/shoulder issues.

I suspect this is because I have an odd build - 180cm with quite long arms and narrow clavicles. And yes my bench and pressing is pretty shit, but the above setup allows me to bench "heavy" frequently, make progress and stay injury-free. Attempting to bench in the same way most successful benchers do does not.

Last edited:
I think it's an individual thing. I am 194cm, large wingspan, I get the least shoulder irritation with a large arch and a very wide grip (index on rings). Going narrow or using a 'lazy arch' (as I sometimes do) gives me clicking and pain in my shoulders.

Having said this from what I've seen arching is the safest way to do it as it limits ROM and therefore limits shoulder rotation. Also, a lot of people have a lot easier time with a narrow grip. Not saying this is the best way for everyone - narrow grip for example fucks me right up.

I think it's an individual thing. I am 194cm, large wingspan, I get the least shoulder irritation with a large arch and a very wide grip (index on rings). Going narrow or using a 'lazy arch' (as I sometimes do) gives me clicking and pain in my shoulders.

Having said this from what I've seen arching is the safest way to do it as it limits ROM and therefore limits shoulder rotation. Also, a lot of people have a lot easier time with a narrow grip. Not saying this is the best way for everyone - narrow grip for example fucks me right up.

I'm roughly about the same height as you, and my wingspan is greater than my height. So index fingers on rings feels pretty natural width grip for me. I can't arch very much and I'm not very good at staying stiff through the movement (practice, imbalances, etc).

I looked up the Dave Tate stuff on youtube that you mentioned earlier, makes a lot of sense, I'll try some of it out next time.

Check out the raw bench records on powerliftingwatch. Every record is done with a sifferent technique. Rick weils 181 record is done with hillarious form

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that perhaps the typical competition style bench does not suit everyone, and that you may just simply need to experiment to work out what setup/technique is strongest and safest for you, and practice practice practice.

For example, for me it seems a mild arch, quite narrow grip (shoulder width) and touching a little higher than most is both the strongest and safest setup for me. Every time I try to use a more conventional PL sort of setup, my numbers drop, fail to improve and I get injured/shoulder issues.

I suspect this is because I have an odd build - 180cm with quite long arms and narrow clavicles. And yes my bench and pressing is pretty shit, but the above setup allows me to bench "heavy" frequently, make progress and stay injury-free. Attempting to bench in the same way most successful benchers do does not.

just wondering man wat kind of prehab/recovery techniques did u use when u were experiencing issues? also how do u expect to increase numbers at a significant rate if u r recruiting less muscle fibres. and is it the PL technique that has failed u or is it the lack of practice in that technique and the subsequent lack of muscle/neuro development for said technique?

as for the narrow grip does that not furthermore limit the number of muscle fibres recruited? I have thought grip on the bar at about the rings for an ABC power bar include involve less distance to travel more muscle fibres recruited and better overall leverage as the elbow will not have to bend as far. post up a vid man? however KK seems to get on well with his narrower grip.

Narrow grip wouldn't limit the number of MUs recruited
If anything the larger range of motion would illicit a better training effect
Of course you need to practice competition form though

Narrow grip wouldn't limit the number of MUs recruited
If anything the larger range of motion would illicit a better training effect
Of course you need to practice competition form though

yeah i was talking about the whole "lazy arch" in combo with the narrow grip. getting tight in the back is really goin to recruit more muscles throughout the lift rather than reacting to the immanent load a moment prior to the lift. when uve just squatted a 110%+ rep in a meet im sure using all the muscles possible to get that bench up will be an advantage. as for a larger range in motion there are plenty of accessory exercises to boost strength and size thru a larger ROM bench for strength needs a perfect technique. training a larger ROM is only goin to create a limiting effect during a meet situation. the idea to increase ur chances of winning not reduce them.

i try'd it for the first time today. arching my back the way they do in comps just hurt.maybe because i haven't foam rolled in awhile. but i also had to have a mild arch and i'm around the same height as you just not as long arms.

i've seen guys put like semi foam rollers under there back does that help with the arch ?

Some of the Japanese put PVC pipes in while they bench- it is a way to train you into a better arch. Personally I don't like it because it doesn't teach you to tighten up. An arch isn't just about reducing ROM it is about stability and changing the angles. Most people will get more pec major recruitment when they arch because it ends up changing the angles to something like a decline. The most important thing in my mind is stability and tightness. The russians call it the bench stance- its basically getting all the loading through the feet and shoulders- so your butt is just contacting the bench but isnt supporting you. You wedge your shoulders under the bar and drive through the feet. There are two main ways to set up under the bar- the metal militia way and the Japanese way. To see the Japanese way google Watanabe or Kodama and bench. To see the militia way google Sebastian Burns and bench. Merry Christmas.

Some of the Japanese put PVC pipes in while they bench- it is a way to train you into a better arch. Personally I don't like it because it doesn't teach you to tighten up. An arch isn't just about reducing ROM it is about stability and changing the angles. Most people will get more pec major recruitment when they arch because it ends up changing the angles to something like a decline. The most important thing in my mind is stability and tightness. The russians call it the bench stance- its basically getting all the loading through the feet and shoulders- so your butt is just contacting the bench but isnt supporting you. You wedge your shoulders under the bar and drive through the feet. There are two main ways to set up under the bar- the metal militia way and the Japanese way. To see the Japanese way google Watanabe or Kodama and bench. To see the militia way google Sebastian Burns and bench. Merry Christmas.

What does Minh style fit under?

I like the PVC pipe but only for my warm-ups
Once I get to 60kg I take it away. I have felt that tension you spoke of before where the ass floats on top of the bench instead of resting on it but dismissed it before as shitty technique so I'll definitely start doing that again. RE leg drive I can never seem to manage to get it right. Is there an easy way to learn it or is it just practice? My ass shoot up or I will slide off the bench lol. Maybe I'm not using enough weight to pin me down properly yet?