• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What Is the Best Time of the Day to Workout?

I train about 6pm. In the ideal world i wouldnt have to go to work and id start training at 4pm so that dinner can be my pwo :p

Amen.

Shift worker for 8 years, 3 earlies, 3 lates, 3 off,

I train when I can after 9am. I just feel better if I've been up and mobile for a few hours before training.

So you would train at night regardless because you feel better.

I could train at 5.30 but I feel like shit even though it would suit me better.

Last edited:
I could think of nothing worse than working out first thing in the morning
I workout around 6pm during the week and around lunch time on Saturdays

5am every day, its the best time for me to workout, given work/child etc & it makes me feel fantastic every day :)

I often get a later workout in too if I can.

Time of day is not really a factor, it comes down more to a lifestyle fit & personal choice.

I could think of nothing worse than working out first thing in the morning
I workout around 6pm during the week and around lunch time on Saturdays

6pm is usually the busiest time for gyms. I'de be queuing up just to use a bench or the one rack. Can't be done. Must be different in Adelaide

The morning to me is anything before 5pm :p
Therefore anytime after that...although because I'm so nocturnal, I have had sessions start as late as 11pm...seems the later the better for me :)

So you would train at night regardless because you feel better.

I could train at 5.30 but I feel like shit even though it would suit me better.

On an early I'll train as soon as I get home about 1300. I will have been up since 0300 so if I shower and sit down that day is done and finished, late in the arvo I'm a zombie.

On a late ill train pretty much at 0900 then go to work. Days off ill normally train arvo around 1600

to me, its never made sense at all to train upon waking. takes me longet to warm up both mentally and physically. where as in the arvo im wide awake, im focussed, ready to go.

morning is far more ideal for me time wise, but i hate it, so for consistency i train after work.
even on weekends ill hold off until the arvo for a session unless i got shit on.

6-7pm for me.

I did read once about an Olympic hammer thrower who bombed out of his first Olympics because time change killed him. So to prep for the next Olympics he trained in the time zone of the country he had to travel to to help his adjustment to different training and sleeping patterns. At the next Olympics he won a medal.

Whenever I can make it, is the best. I've always read that testosterone is higher in the morning, but I find that even though I may be tired by the end of the day, I can lift better at night.

I find 10 or 11am is damn near perfect for me, but unrealistic except for weekends given work.

I recall reading that cortisol is produced less if you work out at night than in the morning, but that levels testosterone is higher in the morning. Maybe PB's are best chased with a morning workout?? Not that that means much to a newb like me who is PB'ing each week *enjoying it while it lasts* :)

Been trying to train mornings, but its just not happening for me.
I'm like a walking zombie, by the time I warm up I'm on my 4th set and the brain doesnt kick in until the 3rd excercize. Sometimes I dont even remember being there.
Got to stick to nights (8pm) as I am useless early mornings inj the gym.

Found late arvos early evening have been best for me over the years .. Every time I've tried the early morning thing have never felt I was at my best performance no matter what way I attacked training or what I ate before hand .Could never get the mental side of it happening to achieve the feeling of a satisfied result afterwards like I get with the arvo sessions .
Each to there own !!!

yeah early evening here too seems to normally be the best time performance wise.
on weekends though late morning is the go, fasted also. food in the morning just slows me down.