• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
carbs are bad fats are good
Way to simplistic (and dangerous) for my liking. Both sides of the fence are ever ready to produce their proofs with utmost enthusiasm. We humans have bodies that are much more complex than to simply put out a blanket statement that says this or that food group is good or bad, without looking at the whole picture.

Insulin has been at the center of the diet wars that is currently going on on the internet and other places. For example, to say carbs are bad, causing all sorts of mayhem with insulin, is to not only oversimplify the issue, but to also be disingenuous. How about if I tell you that saturated fats for example, has a negative role to play when it comes to insulin-sensitivity and insulin resistance? What then? Surely you wouldn't want me to stop there right! You'd want more (and perhaps deeper) information on the subject.

How about the positive effect of exercise on insulin? How about the fact that protein spikes insulin more than carbohydrates do? How about this and how about that! And yes, we need that spike in order for those amino acids to be shuttled into our muscles cells etc. Everyone is using (or rather abusing) this amazingly anabolic hormone insulin to their advantage. Insulin is not the boogeyman, it's insulin resistance and lack of insulin sensitivity that ought to be of concern. Sitting on one's back side all day long behind a computer should be one of the main focuses of our discussion here; not using insulin as our scapegoat, and then pretending that carbs are evil and proteins and fats have nothing to do with this whole confusion. Then there's leptin....

Please be aware, that your "normal" blood test results, or the blood sugar reading (as that's what I'm discussing right now), is not what it seems. In other words, just because a blood sugar reading is within the normal range, does not negate the fact that your diet (through a high insulin release/spikes) is not causing you/your arteries some damage in the way of inflammation. Our body (as everyone here knows) has an amazing way of maintaining homeostasis. So you can eat plenty of fruits or plenty of meat, the insulin release is going to be major and the main point one needs to be aware of here. The release of too much insulin here is obviously generated to counteract that spike in blood sugar levels.

So is fruit bad? No. Is meat bad? No. What's bad then? The overdoing it in either when you're not exercising enough to burn off that blood sugar. And even then, if you eat in a way that necessitate an over release of insulin, you're going to be met with problems later on down the track. That is why one of my all time favourite food groups is/are legumes and pulses. What with its resistant starch that serves your microbiome extremely well! Once added to any meal, would serve to really stabilise insulin release into our blood stream. Please do your research on beans and the second meal effect if you want to be impressed beyond what I can write here re this most often neglected (not heard of) of subject matters.

Last edited:
Yeah I did read about beans being a really good staple to add to your diet. Refried beans in particular goes wicked with everytime I eat a Mexican.