• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on wraps/grips??

So I've recently switched to sumo style deadlifts, using rack pulls as an accessory. I've always not used wraps/grips till the very last set or evn not at all, though with sumo style I grip the bar where it's smooth and I find upwards of about 120kg it slips away too much!!!
Thoughts??

It may be worth noting that I used under/over for conventional deads and am doing straight over hand for sumo's...

Why can't you grip the knurling? My grip between Sumo/Conventional/SLDL do not change.
This would mean your arms will taper from the shoulders to the wrists?

Just use underover for sumo as well.

Under knuckles tend to scrape the inside of the leg but liberal babypowder and a teaspoon of cement make this a non issue.

I will also add to the above and say that the deadlift is not a grip exercise
Feel free to use straps and do grip work on the side

I will also add to the above and say that the deadlift is not a grip exercise

Or you could just not use straps & never need to do any grip work...

Or you could just not use straps & never need to do any grip work...

His deadlifts are suffering from his lack of grip, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't use straps to train his deadlift and do grip work separately. As long as you can hit your top number in competition then who gives a shit if you deadlift in training with straps. There are shitloads of strongmen that deadlift with straps and are 800+ pullers lol.

Olympic lifters use straps all the time in training and they are bad asses.

I see no problem with the practice. Sometimes the hands get pretty beat-up with deadlifts and straps help stop the slippage and let the callouses heal.

Personally i find any sort of small muscle group training (grip training) fucking boring as shit.

Obviously your not gripping the knurling so of course your grip may slip. Fix your grip width.

+1 harden up/keep it simple, your grip will develop in time if you don't use straps. This is certainly my personal experience. For quite a while grip was the definite limiting factor - with hindsight, probably not a bad thing, as it stopped me from grinding out maxes/reps all the time and got in some quality work @ lower %s with relatively better technique and speed. And chalk is always good.

I have small girly hands and use to struggle to hang onto 110-120kg with mixed grip...

IMO if you do things like chins and rows without straps there's your grip work. Personally, I could not think of anything more mind-numbingly boring than doing isolated grip work (unless it's on my own penis).

Though I do think straps have a place, e.g rehabing an injury or just to get a few reps out on something/recover your hands when your grip is completely torched.

Last edited:
I use grips for nothing else, maybe bb rows, over 100kg, wouldn't say deadlift is suffering, it's more an issue of where I'm griping the bar, and maybe going to over under...

Grip work on a pair of titties would be orright.

Hook grip - how do you stop the thumb from feeling like its going to burst like a pod?

I can understand Havin grip issues. Key for myself when I do SLDL or power shrugs at 90%+ weights. Good old hook grip for me. But gotta admit the pain in the thumbs can be intense. Failing that straps r sweet if u wanna bang sets out for reps.

The OPs issue isn't grip strength, the issue is slippage due to holding the smooth part of the bar therefore just grip the bar on the knurlings.

And to say that the deadlift doesn't strengthen your grip is silly.

The OPs issue isn't grip strength, the issue is slippage due to holding the smooth part of the bar therefore just grip the bar on the knurlings.

And to say that the deadlift doesn't strengthen your grip is silly.

Thank you!!!

Yes I'm fine with grip strength, my max conventional deadlift, I have done stone cold motherless raw!!!
I'll have a look at moving a tad wider, I may have overlooked arms tapering in... And also I'll go for over/under...

So I did deads this morning... I feel at the most comfortable when my hands sit with my outside 2 fingers on the knurling... They don't seem to taper there, I'll just use grips then make sure I don't for rack pulls I think