• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on wraps/grips??

I don't use grips etc on deadlifts, or anything under 8RM.

I do however, use grips on accessory work, eg; 20 rep shrugs, lat pull downs etc where I am supersetting, and have completely ruined my grip (and forearms) earlier in the workout. If you're following a powerlifting regimen - with more rest in between sets - you'll most likely you'll have enough time to recover. I always have when training like this. However, after doing overloaded reps with grips - my lats & traps have exploded. Instead of doing 8-10 chins with 20kg on the dip belt + 96kg bodyweight, I can pump out 16-20. Yep, struggled to get out of bed.

My grip is pretty good... I do 5x5 rack pulls on 170kg, for deads it's more when doing sumo I feel most comfortable gripping at the smooth part of the bar, so it's slides away

If the issue is that you are gripping the smooth part of the bar- why can't you move your grip out?
Are you training for powerlifting?
If yes- then you have to grip the bar without straps so ditch straps and address the real issue which is the way you are gripping the bar- or where you are gripping it.

If the issue is that you are gripping the smooth part of the bar- why can't you move your grip out?
Are you training for powerlifting?
If yes- then you have to grip the bar without straps so ditch straps and address the real issue which is the way you are gripping the bar- or where you are gripping it.

I'm hoping to compete second half of next year, if I can hit your numbers I'll be stoked!!! Lol

But yeah, it just feels a bit uncomfortable to go wider but I'll probably get used to it, so best just stick it out...

Does anyone buy chalk and take it into their gym, or is that stupid?

If your gym doesn't allow chalk then I would hazard to say that it isn't a "real" gym

1. chalk
2. grip strength stuff (hanging off bars for ages, do it at 90deg elbows if you want to get some lat activation too)
3. use straps if necessary but remember that you won't be able to in comps

I'm hoping to compete second half of next year, if I can hit your numbers I'll be stoked!!! Lol

But yeah, it just feels a bit uncomfortable to go wider but I'll probably get used to it, so best just stick it out...

Does anyone buy chalk and take it into their gym, or is that stupid?

I once trained at a gym that frowned on the use of chalk. I got one of those chalk balls rock climbers use and kept it in a plastic container so no chalk got on the ground. Sounds stupid, but I think if you can show you are considerate most reasonable gym owners are going to be ok with it.
If you want to compete then you need to fix your technique so you can get your grip out. It may just be a mobility thing. You'll find the closer you get your hips to the bar then easy the lift will be so work on opening up your stance- this may also help with the grip issues. Where are you based? Might be worth catching up with some other lifters to get some in-person suggestions?

I once trained at a gym that frowned on the use of chalk. I got one of those chalk balls rock climbers use and kept it in a plastic container so no chalk got on the ground. Sounds stupid, but I think if you can show you are considerate most reasonable gym owners are going to be ok with it.
If you want to compete then you need to fix your technique so you can get your grip out. It may just be a mobility thing. You'll find the closer you get your hips to the bar then easy the lift will be so work on opening up your stance- this may also help with the grip issues. Where are you based? Might be worth catching up with some other lifters to get some in-person suggestions?

Yeah would be good, I have spoken to a guy, though I have trouble getting to his gym during the times he is there, and it's about half an hour from my house..

Just keep it in your bag, i have 2 blocks in mine, never spill any. Be respectful and they shouldn't kick up a fuss.

If you want to be a good dead lifter, then dead lift lots, doing grip work does doesn't mean you can pick up more in the dead lift. You will find the shitty gym bars much easier to grip with chalk.

I've been doing deads, squats, Bench and sohp all 2xweek..
I've been talking with a guy at ptcbrisbane via email and I'm hoping to head in there and get some coaching to help bring up my week spots.
I think my dead is ok, about 170, BW just under 75 (guess, hardly ever weigh myself)