• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

need help with losing weight

jack1993

hey guys just started training again and am starting to take it seriously i have had about 3 years off since the last time i was in the gym. i need help losing some weight.
im 20 6ft2 and weigh between 95-100kgs
my typical training routine is
monday-boxing 1hr
tuesday- surf boat rowing 1hr
wednesday-chest and arms
thursday-surf boat rowing 1 hr
friday-legs and back
im a tradie so i am also pretty active at work. i dont drink soft drink, dont eat fast food and very rarley get on the piss but i cant seem to lean up.

and example of my diet would be

breakfast-up n go and an apple or banana or a bowl of nutri grain with skim milk
snack- nuts(pistachio or almonds) or a muslei bar ( uncle tobys one or a nutrigrain bar
lunch- turkey or ham sandwich with salad or wholemeal pasta and Bolognese sauce
snack- fruit or can of tuna or egg sandwich
dinner- chicken and salad or steak salad cooked on bbq

i dont count calories because i dont know how to or wether it really works.
any advice would be appreciated

Hey bud.
Start with downloading a good calorie counting app like My Fitness Pal. It will give you a target of calorie breakdown while tracking your food intake. Or head to tthe News agent and Pic up Dr Borusheks calorie counting book. Full of info for for about $13.
Calorie amnesia is not a good way to be when dieting.

You sound rather active.

So your training side of things is good

Count calories

Get your protein, vitamins and minerals and good fats.

Watch the sugars.

Drink water, try not drink your meals (never satiated)

Start at around 2500 calories and slowly taper them off, I wouldn't go any lower than about 1700 though.

wether it really works.

It does work. If it doesn't then it's bad data (ie, you not counting EVERYTHING). Laws of thermodynamics cannot be bent or broken.

I would, as others have suggested, just track calories, weight, activity and measurements for a month and see where you end up. it gets more complicated to work in a deficit when you're active because your calories out is more closely tied to your physical activity than it is to your body size, but it can still be done - if your activity is routine and repeated then your calories out will average out over time...

1. Protein (aim for 220g+ ie 2-2.2g protein per kg body weight) - depending on your portion sizes, your protein intake might be a bit low at the moment, consider swapping the up n go out for a shake (as it sounds like your breakfast choices are based on time).

2. Separate out back and legs so you're weight training min 3x a week (or try an upper/lower 4x split or a 3x full body program - have a look in the bb/strength stickies)

3. Fill your daily calories as needed to lose 0.5-1kg a week - ie eat the same each day (roughly), weigh yourself each morning to check progress and decrease your calories once your weight loss stalls (give it min. 2 weeks). Otherwise, see above posts re using a fitness app to calc calories & suggested calories per day.

cheers guys i will download the app... what sort of protien should i be looking to buy and any other supplements i should look into ?

Your rowing twice a week... I doubt you need a back day at all...

Better off doing 2 push days a week to complement the rows...

Not so sure if thread is srs/10... You don't eat much for a 100kg guy who is one extremely active dude...

You might find that it is this activity that is preventing you from getting leaner? You might need to cut down on the boxing and rowing... Add a bit more heavy lifting to lower your body fat %....

Last edited:
Not sure if serious..... but....

Energy is measured in kJ or calories. Every time you raise your arm, walk a little, or even breath, you use a few kJ. If the total you use for a day is larger than the total you take in from food then you lose weight.

If you're not losing weight you're eating too much (to lose weight). It's that simple. You need to either eat less or exercise more (eating the same amount of food) to lose fat.

You don't need any supplements to do this although caffeine might help you a little as it's an appetite suppressant.

To lose weight you need a Calorie deficit

To lose fat and hold lean mass you need a slight calorie deficit plus

High protein
Heavy weight training (up near your maxs)
And in some instances lower activity levels.....

The right balance on what to do will rely very heavily on your genetics...

Last edited:
i dont mean lose wieght as in on scale i just want to lose the fat look from around my stomach and chest...is there any sorts of foods i should not eat at certain times like complex carbs at night or does it not matter if your counting calories ?

Just eat big macs and cheese burgers every day, as long you don't go over your recommended calorie intake you'll be buff and live to 120.

This will fall on deaf ears, but you younger people who are carrying injuries and such and only been lifting for a short time need to show a little respect for the older members here and in general, it's not good.

I always listened to my elders and treated them with respect.

Darkoz was in Baghdad while most of you were still in your dads bag.