• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sourcing replacement safety bars

Good points guys.

I figure I could loop the straps around the top crossbeams of my squat rack and potentially use band pegs to keep it from moving, not that I'd imagine the sling will change position at the top too much when the slings have enough weight put on them.

If I'm interpreting correctly, you guys are suggesting the bar could swing because the bench pressing movement isn't vertical? I would've thought that it wouldn't be too hard to control the bar's horizontal movement, even during failure, as controlling the bar's horizontal movement as it descends doesn't require me to actually lift the weight on the bar, rather just guide it down to the stop point.

I figure having the straps stop at chest height would make the most sense. Perhaps I'll find more difficulties when I get them and test it. In any case; I'll have a spotter and metal safeties (albeit dented ones) in whilst I'm testing the slings for benching. As I said, 4 straps only came to $50 odd, so they should be useful for squatting in the least.

TBH i never use safties when benching, I just don't use collars and let the plates slide off the bar when I fail.

Wish I could do that

Mate not that hard, just buy the materials from someone like Ezy Metal and get a mate with a welder to do it for you, I would be happy to do it for free if you were close. Does not take long at all.

Mate not that hard, just buy the materials from someone like Ezy Metal and get a mate with a welder to do it for you, I would be happy to do it for free if you were close. Does not take long at all.

Thanks Mick, come to think of it I do have a friend who can do such things

TBH i never use safties when benching, I just don't use collars and let the plates slide off the bar when I fail.

At heavy weights that seems like leaving a bit too much to chance, can you always guarantee that you can lift one side up when you've totally failed?

In any case, if I was one of the (almost statistically irrelevant) few to die benching despite possessing a rack, I'd most certainly be up for a Darwin award, so I think I'll keep my dignity intact for what little effort it takes haha.

Got my straps and wanted to report back. 4x 1m worked out really, really well, they hang maybe 5 cm above my chest when benching (will depend on your bench / cage though). Only concern we had was that when dropping the barbell in the event of a failed squat, it may swing and hit the squatter in the back. Essentially solved this problem before even finding out if it was one, by placing the adjustable bench outside the cage with the back inclined so that the bar simply hits the bench if it swings forward at all. For benching, I don't imagine the swing would be an issue if you just hold on to it instead of letting go when failing, as controlling the horizontal movement doesn't require pushing the weight upwards. In any event I have a spotter for benching. If anyone wants a picture of the set up or link to where I got the straps, let me know.

Post a pic if you can.
I'm interest in using straps as my room is too narrow to keep adjusting the safeties.

Post a pic if you can.
I'm interest in using straps as my room is too narrow to keep adjusting the safeties.

I'll try grab one tomorrow for you Kaz. I think I saw your set up in one of the home-gym threads, reasonably certain you have the same rack I do (Force USA Home?). Those safeties are horrible hollow things :(.

I took some crappy phone photos of the set-up because I can't find my camera atm: Force USA Home w/ Straps - Imgur

I also took some measurements if it helps; the barbell is 26 centimeters off the floor in the middle of the bar, and sits 9cm above the force usa bench which I believe you own too. For me, it's pretty ideal for benching and fine for squatting too :D.

If you need any specific photos (with a bit better quality) or other measurements just let us know!
The straps I purchased can be found here: 2Ton Straight Capacity Eye to Eye Green Web Lifting Sling Tow Strap 3.3Ft | eBay

I purchased four to hang them as seen in the photos.