• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

vonfram88

This topic will canvass views about improving the image of powerlifting whilst also maintaining a satisfactory level of interest in the sport.

I proceed on the following assertion;

That performance enhancing drugs are used by some athletes who compete in strength sports.

A shocking statement, I know. It's difficult for many to recognize the Elephant in the room and I expect some hot-headed and puerile responses, so I am relying on the moderators to objectively moderate.

Acknowledging the success of the GPC movement, which has done much to lift the recognition of the sport, my call is for an improved level of citizenry. Good corporate citizenry is not just about taking a moral stance, it also translates into good business.

I find it hard to accept that any sponsor of an event would NOT want their brand associated with a higher standard of behaviour. Whether we like it or not, community expectations will shift in the wake of the recent high profile doping cases. The sheeple who presently have no stance on the matter will be easy prey for the media and silver-tounged policy makers.

I note that PA has clear policy on the matter of doping. I also note that CAPO has a stance on the matter and has a list of banned substances. Forgive me if I am being ignorant, but I have found it difficult to access any resources on GPC policy in this particular area.

I have heard the cost being cited as a reason/excuse not to test. Yet PA with its rather limited resources manages to comply with ASADA requirements. The other powerlifting organisations are well resourced to find a funding solution so I can see no economic argument against testing. It is also possible that there will be greater subsidy of the cost of testing by the government for NFP's, in the wake of recent events and if enough people jump on the bandwagon.

Does the most prolific and noticed powerlifting organisation (GPC) have an enhanced level of responsibility? Is it now time to take such action as is necessary to improve the profile of the sport?

Clear policy, alignment with community expectations and appointment of suitable ambassadors for the sport are amongst some of the measures that a pro-active organisation might like to consider.

On ambassadors; the finest folks I have met in recent times are the proprietors of the Perth chapter of PTC. Clean living, mild mannered and softly spoken.

Is this thread a joke? (well it is, but was it intended to be?)
People want to see freaks lifting massive weights, gear is part of this. For the record I'm a lifetime natural lifter even though I only lift in untested Feds (due to PA having their stupid rule about not competing in other Feds).

I think it's pretty common knowledge that there are some massive freaks lifting massive weights taking performance enhancers - not to discount their work ethic/dedication, but it's the nature of competitive strength sports.

My question is: in federations that apparently test, how effective is testing methodology anyway? E.g does a lifter simply cycle off for the test, then go back on gear?

Perhaps GPC are trying to attract a larger fan base/avoid awkward politics by not testing and therefore avoiding the whole issue altogether?

Personally, I have no moral issue with lifters taking gear, they are entitled to that choice, no judgements. However, personally, I intend to stay a life-long 'natural', and therefore when I'm more competitive, would like to compete against like-minded individuals with the confidence that they are indeed towing the same line.

Testing in any fed is a joke

PA take it pretty seriously, off season & random testing, quality testing protocol.

Nothing is infallible but from what I've heard its the real deal.

Your always gonna need untested feds for the guys using gear to have somewhere to compete.

Last edited:
Lol.

I think you should worry about getting your own fed right before trying to change others.

GPC is the largest growing powerlifting federation in the country, holding the best events, in the best venues, and are only looking to go bigger and better on the coming years.

The support we have gotten from powerlifters across the country, and the world.... Not to mention that of the public, means every body is very happy with how thing are going.

Last edited:
PA take it pretty seriously, off season & random testing, quality testing protocol.

Nothing is infallible but from what I've heard its the real deal.

Your always gonna need untested feds for the guys using gear to have somewhere to compete.

Untested feds purpose is not to give "guys using gear somewhere to compete". Guys at the top of all sports, tested or untested, are on gear no doubt about it. Instead of spending oodles of money on hopeless testing protocols, id rather there be multiple comps per year to attend. And id rather there be more than 5 people at each meet. If it were legal to compete in both feds i know plenty who would, including myself.

People are going to use shit regardless.

lol who even cares, PEDS are a huge part of the sport and paying lip service to testing like every other fed does is pointless because all testing is monumentally flawed even when there is a huge amount spent on it. Besides its not like its a mainstream sport with mainstream sponsors that care about that sort of "clean" image stuff anyway and attempting to change the sport into a "cleaner" one, to find those sort of mainstream sponsors isn't going to happen.

Lol.

I think you should worry about getting your own fed right before trying to change others.

GPC is the largest growing powerlifting federation in the country, holding the best events, in the best venues, and are only looking to go bigger and better on the coming years.

The support we have gotten from powerlifters across the country, and the world.... Not to mention that of the public, means every body is very happy with how thing are going.

Al Capone was happy with the way things were going and no doubt he felt infallible. A simple thing called tax evasion was his undoing.

The demise of an orgainisation can come in many forms. Who will foot the bill in the case of a catastrophic event when the insurance company decides the conduct, practices and policies of the organisation or the organizers is inappropriate. Insurance is only one area of the weak underbelly.

Policies on PED may fail in terms of the outcomes they deliver, but at least they serve to protect the relevant stakeholders.

And when the last of the dinosaurs has raged his last roid rage, there is a policy framework for adaptation and a chance to emerge as a better organisation.

Laugh out loud to that. Times are a changin' and the agents for change are perhaps a little stronger than someone's three lift total.

lol who even cares, PEDS are a huge part of the sport and paying lip service to testing like every other fed does is pointless because all testing is monumentally flawed even when there is a huge amount spent on it. Besides its not like its a mainstream sport with mainstream sponsors that care about that sort of "clean" image stuff anyway and attempting to change the sport into a "cleaner" one, to find those sort of mainstream sponsors isn't going to happen.

It's not a mainstream sport. But the GPC movement has been enormously successful. It could gain mainstream sponsorship and also do more to protect its future. One day the barriers between the various lifting federations might even be broken.

Von, you seem to post a lot about the "public", an what they "expect".

I think what you are doing here is pushing your own ignorant views.

How do you know what the public want? I think spectator/competitor numbers is the best indicator mate..... And I can tell you GPC does pretty well on that front.

I'll say this first and foremost, I do not condone the abuse of prescribed medications for sporting advantages.

You brought up the cost. Do you know how much it costs to test? And do you also know the annual turnover of PA compared to GPC or CAPO?
What about how much funding PA get from the government for testing? I can tell you GPC and CAPO get zero, and will need get any.

I think you need to educate yourself further before posting rants again.

I would lol hard if vonfram got busted for PED use
Not accusing anyone of anything but it would be lolworthy

I have never used gear and don't intend to. One day I want to compete in powerlifting. I would like to have a crack at PA one day but there is a lot of bullshit looking from outside that would stop me.

No 1. You can't compete anywhere else if you want to lift at PA. What the fuck is up with that. Can you catch roids of people.

I hate the attitude that people at PA seem to have that everyone lifting elsewhere is drugged out and they are all perfect little angels.

As for testing in other Feds. Isn't PA testing subsidised by the government.

The high and mighty attitude from PA gets very irritating.