• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I think what the public is more concerned with is cheating, unfairness or the perception of it anyway. Humans have a natural aversion to it.

Those caught taking PEDs are viewed as cheating others, whereas the reality might be the others were doing the same thing, just didn't get caught.

Then it just becomes an issue of how unhealthy PEDs and Powerlifting (and Bodybuilding) is to the general public and therefore sponsors. Freaks on stage has its pros and cons.

Say the public slowly gets to know what powerlifting is and starts spectating events.

Say word gets out that the winner of an event is using gear.

Say theres a public rustling of jimmies because the guy who came 2nd supposedly says he doesnt use and humans naturally want to back the underdog that doesnt have advantages.

What does the meet director say? "Its okay guys, this event is untested"

Just my 2c.

All of the most popular mainstream sports are drug-tested, no matter how effective it actually is. For PL to be truly accepted in the mainstream and by governing bodies it would have to follow suit. In this regard the IPF and its affiliates are pretty much the only horse in the race and as such they are taking steps to gain IOC recognition to further enhance the profile of the sport.

No matter how much of a public splash GPC have and will make they will eventually hit a wall with their untested stance.

Solid point.

Strongman is televised on ESPN, undoubtably the most watched strength sport, no testing....

I dissagree, at least in Australia anyway.

Time will tell I guess.

I think there are 2 types of sports.

Mainstream sports.

Spectacle sports.

Mainstream tend to have to adhere to a stricter set of guidelines to maintain their public acceptance and popularity. Parents let their kids play these sports.

Spectacle sports are all about the spectacle but always have to be verging on the extreme to maintain popularity. Wrestling, BBing and Strongman are included in this list and to some extent so is Powerlifting. These are sports competed in by big men who are commonly accepted to be juiced to the gills by anybody with a brain and ignorantly debated and defended to the death as natural by adoring morons.

For Powerlifting to become a mainstream sport it will have to accept mainstream terms. The public do not like steroids whether it be due to media influence, ignorance or legitimate fair-play or health concerns. As the sport becomes more popular the questions will be asked. "Are they natural?" "Is he on steroids?" Etc, etc. Ignoring the questions won't work nor will brushing them off with a scoff.

Say the public slowly gets to know what powerlifting is and starts spectating events.

Say word gets out that the winner of an event is using gear.

Say theres a public rustling of jimmies because the guy who came 2nd supposedly says he doesnt use and humans naturally want to back the underdog that doesnt have advantages.

What does the meet director say? "Its okay guys, this event is untested"

You're assuming public rustling of jimmies.. where what might happen is actually media rustling of jimmies as they try to tell us what we think...

I actually don't know the answer to these.

Are the crossfit games tested?

Strongman?

Solid point.

Strongman is televised on ESPN, undoubtably the most watched strength sport, no testing....

See my point above.

The only strongman we see is the heavyweights. Lightweights and women are given no recognition whatsoever. PL is more than just heavyweights and always has been whereas strongman started as the biggest of the big competing against each other and the lighter divisions came later.

Crossfit is a cult of retards fucking a doorknob and I say this while holding strong respect for a few CFers. First and foremost Crossfit is popular amongst its own members whos numbers swell daily with its cultish propaganda. Secondly few crossfitters look like they use steroids anyway.

But children don't powerlift...

And what about WSM? It's bigger and more popular than all strength sports...

Sub-junior and teen divisions. Highschool bench comps.

Kids powerlift.

See my comments on spectacle sports. Its not mainstream acceptance like football or cricket.

What about O lifting. Tested and in the Olympics. I don't know the figures but I bet the are more powerlifters in untested powerlifting Feds than Olympic lifting. Probably the only thing keeping o lifting going in Aus is government funding.

What about O lifting. Tested and in the Olympics. I don't know the figures but I bet the are more powerlifters in untested powerlifting Feds than Olympic lifting. Probably the only thing keeping o lifting going in Aus is government funding.

Oly lifting in Australia is a joke and a victim of its own politics but it is mainstream accepted because its in the Olympics.

Point taken.

This entire thread was pointless anyway. Von is calling out GPC for being the biggest growing federation, and not being tested.

GPC can't be tested, so nothing (as far as im aware) can be done.
GPC has now over 160 members Australia wide, with a large footing in every state and territory with the exception of SA and Tas.

Media coverage for our competitions and competitors had been awesome, and the amount of spectators at GPC meets is 2nd to none.

I guess time will tell how things will pan out.

I do think however Vons opinion of the public turning on untested Feds is far from correct. You can not compare Armstrong to powerlifting.

Irrelevant.
The out come was the same, but has no bearing on untested powerlifting.

There are no cheats at GPC or CAPO