• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift comp prep

Okay so I'm thinking this way:

1st attempt 225kg
2nd attempt 245kg
3rd attempt 260kg

I'm thinking a PR of 260kg because I will be using the texas deadlift bar which is supposed to increase the lifts by 5kg or so

All these guys/girls have said open with a weight you can do for 2-3 reps. That with a little basic gym math is 225kg. Not close to your all time best.

Get COMFORTABLE
Get CONFIDENT
Get COCKY

1st attempt 225kg
2nd attempt 240-245kg
3rd attempt go for a PR

If you haven't used a DL bar before get into the warmup room and have a play to get used to it. Grip wise it shouldn't be a problem.

I like Brandon Lilly's approach*
1st attempt - get a lift in, probably 90-94% of your max
2nd attempt - go for a pb, doesn't have to be a huge one, 2.5kg is enough
3rd attempt - 105-115% depending on how the 3rd felt

*going off his meet results/attempts that I've seen over the last 12 months this isn't exactly always how he takes attempts, but he's quoted as saying it is what he "likes to do"

As for comp tapering etc.
Leading into ProRaw, Emma took he 3 deadlift attempts off mats about 6 weeks out, then just did doubles and triples with 50-60%, with the final training session being 7 days out and hit a 17.5kg comp PB.
Squat went heavy 14 days out, 60-70% for doubles 7 days out which resulted in a 10kg PB

Like the others have said though, 99% of the hard work is done 4+ weeks out. The last month is more about how you feel you need to get ready for competition.

Last edited:
Opener should be something you can double/triple.
Why are you increasing weight by 2.5kg? Waste of energy. Minimums of 5 or 10kg increases.

I'm glad that someone else thinks like this lol
I used the 1.25kg plates all the time then thought "what the fuck am I fucking doing"
Don't get me started on microloading

Yeah man, it's just an opener
No one remembers your opener ever, unless you miss it. Trust me everyone remembers the guy that bombed out, or puts up shitty numbers the entire meet because the opening squat was a grinder and they missed their last two attempts

I'm glad that someone else thinks like this lol
I used the 1.25kg plates all the time then thought "what the fuck am I fucking doing"
Don't get me started on microloading

It has it's place Oni, try upping the weight by 5 or 10 kilos a week in 20 years time.

It has it's place Oni, try upping the weight by 5 or 10 kilos a week in 20 years time.

You don't need to add weight linearly to make progress
Just rack up a shitload of stress with a healthy diet of reps, hit some big singles, doubles and triples 5-6 weeks out then deload and you're stronger, just like magic lol

You don't need to add weight linearly to make progress
Just rack up a shitload of stress with a healthy diet of reps, hit some big singles, doubles and triples 5-6 weeks out then deload and you're stronger, just like magic lol

I was thinking more in the general scheme of things goober

I dunno what point you're trying to make
In a meet it's fine but I can't be assed with those communist 1.25s in training