• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

McKwl

Overloaded Member
I'd like to give stiff-leg deads a go. Where would I find solid info on form for that lift?

Being trained is just not an option where I am: internet tutorials and shit like that is what I've got to go on. So they've gotta be good! :)

1. Feet shoulder width apart
2. Legs stiff, with a *slight bend
3. Bend over at the hip whilst maintaining the backs natural curvature
This is a hamstring and glute strengthening exercise.

*a slight bend in the knee maybe required if you are unable to maintain point three.
Start light, perfect form, and improve ROM.

If you are bending at the spine you are not using your hamstring group.

1. Feet shoulder width apart
2. Legs stiff, with a *slight bend
3. Bend over at the hip whilst maintaining the backs natural curvature
This is a hamstring and glute strengthening exercise.

*a slight bend in the knee maybe required if you are unable to maintain point three.
Start light, perfect form, and improve ROM.

If you are bending at the spine you are not using your hamstring group.

Aren't you meant to keep your chest up and stick your ass back as far as you can as well to help maintain the hammy/glute "recruitment"

It's really hard to self-teach. I would definitely go to a powerlifting gym even if it's once all my form and lifts are so much better and I owe it to strength training that's it

Thanks, Goosey.

As for PL gyms, nope. No can do. Like I said, basically. Fuck it. :(

I taught myself every other lift so far, with a bit of help from the webs and a PDF or two. Apparently, my form is fine for deads, squats, bench, OHP and rows. Power cleans are... sorta like the real thing, heh. :p Though I did screw up and hurt my shoulders when I switched to low bar squatting (had the bar too low, duh). Healed a while back, and hasn't been an issue since. That's the only time I've managed to hurt myself lifting, more seriously than a some intense strain, or insane DOMS.

Yeah, if there was a PTC anything like nearby, I'd be there. Sounds like a great environment to learn, and get really strong. But I'll make do. :) Getting hella close to the 140/100/180 marks now, so I guess it's working out okay.

I just push my ass back as far as possible and that is it
I need to use the 10kg plates though to get the full benefit so they don't touch the ground

I just push my ass back as far as possible and that is it
I need to use the 10kg plates though to get the full benefit so they don't touch the ground
i stand on 2 25kg bumpers..... still fucking hit the ground hahaha

dat burn

im really liking them at the moment as I can do reps without killing myself

There's a million videos on YouTube, it's not that difficult
Awesome. There's also a metric arseton of shite there, and I wouldn't necessarily know what the best example or best advice is, just by looking at it.

I know, things are never entirely a safe bet online, but I'd prefer to get some pointers directly from experienced lifters (some of them on here even compete) where possible.

Not that I even ask that many questions about lifts, if it matters. But I'm still a noob really, and when I'm not sure, I figure it won't hurt to start a thread. Or maybe hijack one, haha. :D

Gooseys first post was SPOT ON for a SLDL, and I know this is knit pickey but the other guys are describing RDL's.

Its a hip hinge pattern. Pushing the hips as far as you can back as you can without losing balance is the main goal with RDL's and GM's.

Oni and Callan, if you guys have great ROM even while maintaining neutral or even arched lower back try putting some 5kg plates underneath the balls of your feet (opposite of what you do with squatting). This will pre stretch the hamstring/gastroc and restict the movement. If that isn't enough to limit your ROM film your form and throw up a link.

Awesome. There's also a metric arseton of shite there, and I wouldn't necessarily know what the best example or best advice is, just by looking at it.

I know, things are never entirely a safe bet online, but I'd prefer to get some pointers directly from experienced lifters (some of them on here even compete) where possible.

Not that I even ask that many questions about lifts, if it matters. But I'm still a noob really, and when I'm not sure, I figure it won't hurt to start a thread. Or maybe hijack one, haha. :D

I think you misunderstood me, there are a lot of good vids on YouTube these days as it's much easier to learn an exercise by actually watching how it's done comparecd to someone trying to explain it.
The sldl is a simple exercise as long as you keep your back out of it

[ame="http://youtu.be/BuHEVzq0ibA"]Constant Tension RDL - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/PnBREGM7pE0"]Romanian Deadlift form tutorial RDL - YouTube[/ame]

Smart move. Better to ask for direction, than to ask the Physio how long will I be off work for lol.

There should be some movement or extension/flexion of the low back.

even better if one is standing on blocks to further the extension (forward bending)

Ehh well i like to do this exercise a lot and i try to keep my back as straight as possible which means bending at the hips, but that's as much 'back movement' i do.
- Keep the head up so you are looking at a single point on the wall in the distance
- Keep the bar as close to your legs as possible
- Start out slow
- Control your breathing
- Stick your ass out
- Maintain balance

Pretty straight forward

Maintain a neutral spine e.g. your natural lordotic spinal curve, keep your head neutral which means at the bottom of the movement you will be looking at the ground. If you maintain focus on a point in front of you you will change the curve of your back as you bend over as your head will essentially be in the same position as if you were to look straight up now. push your hips back to load the hamstrings, keep your lats tight. Some softening of the knees may be appropriate. There is no magic ROM. Go as low as is comfortable, this will vary from person to person and depend on the weight you are using. Once you feel your lower back trying to enter flexion that is far enough, especially if you are using heavy weight.