• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Extra training

Mickdog

Hi all my training for next year will be the typical full body 3 days a week. I am finding though that i'm not burning the love handles off and can't continue to lift unless I keep my diet like it is. Less food means less energy to lift. I want to burn off the rest of the fat around my gut. Was thinking of adding some HIIT training in the mornings. When would this be best done? Before or after breakfast?

I go to the gym on an empty stomach in the morning.

Just have a pre workout shake with some creatine + bcaa and protein. And just have a big protein shake after as my post workout meal + breakfast.

When i've managed in the past to lose the love handles, it's been fasted cardio, although i frequently fasted until lunchtime to do it as i'm not a morning person...

I've also found including a lot of extra ordinary walking is quite beneficial to reducing bodyfat without impacting recovery.

Oh and a workout in the morning will boost up ur metabolism for the day, but it'll slow down in the evening so.just incorporate some skipping or a jog later on before bed - that'll speed it up again and help burn more calories while u sleep.

If you plan on doing it in the morning (because you train at night?) I would go with lower intensity fasted cardio. With some coffee, if you use it, as the only thing you consume prior to training.

If you have your heart set of HIIT, I'd do it later in day/night or even as a part of your full body workouts. If it is done in a fasted state then fat AND some muscle will be used to fuel your body. The reason is, thanks to the nature of HIIT it prefers to use carbohydrate as it's primary fuel source. One of the benefit's of this type of training is not what fuel you use during the activity but what happens after. EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) is through the roof and the metabolisation of fat has been shown to increase as much as 900% when compared to steady-state cardio of equivolent length.

As for diet, what does it consist of?

Is it just personal preferece to train 3 times a week?

You have a choice, continue to get stronger (heavier) or try to maintain strength as best you can while cutting fat.

I am in the same boat at the moment, noob gains are gone so trying to get stronger and lose fat at the same time is basically impossible now. Have been able to squeeze out a few kg in my upper body lifts, but have gone backwards in Squat and DL.

Weather you put yourself in a calorie deficit by adding in HIIT/cardio/whatever or by eating less calories, it will have the same impact on your ability to recover from a heavy / PB weights session.

My only comment on timing of cardio would be not to do it before weights on a lifting day. The number of calories you have over the week will have much more of an impact than choosing to do star jumps before or after your weet bix.

Don't need to do it in the morning I can simply add in sessions every week on the days I don't lift.

I can do HIIT on Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday. Might add some ab work as well to those days.

My diet is different week to week.

But roughly
Breakfast
1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1/2 cup blueberries
2 boiled eggs

Lunch
2 Palm sized Chicken/Tuna/Salmon
4 slices of bread

Dinner
1 hand size Steak/Chops/Fish/Chicken
1 hand size Pasta and sauce/mashed potato
1 hand size green vege serving

im in the same boat at the moment, i had gained 15kg on my starting weight but had put on a bit of fat around the middle at the same time so i am trying to cut some back before i start bulking again,

currently i am just eating in calorie defici,t training hard and losing around .2 of a kilo a day. it will be a slow road to get down the fat but i will hopefully lose minimal muscle along the way.
my lifts are still at the same level the were before cutting so if i can keep them there i will be happy.

from what i have read and heard hiit will be better for maintaining your muscle