• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tennis Elbow

Brick

So all the pressing I have been doing has lead to a dose of tennis elbow.

This cropped it's ugly head up two workouts ago. I iced woke up fine the next day and worked out that evening as soon as I pressed again it came back. It's fucking painful too.

I'm gonna take the rest of the week off any pressing/chinning/curling etc basically do nothing but squat.

My question is aside from rest I see alot of stuff online about using a strap on the forearm below the elbow to help alleviate it. Does anyone have any experience with this. I usually don't believe in using a support to treat an injury but there is ALOT of info out there that says strap it.

Golfers, tennis players anyone else afflicted by this come at me with your info.

Strapping worked well for me. Took a month or so for it to go away.

Daily stretching as recommended by the physio resolved the issue for me.

Don't strap it.
Just do what you intend to do, it will go away on its own.

You can be a cryptic bastard at times Goose.

Are you saying just rest till it passes?

Problem is it feels like it's not there now but a sooon as I grab a bar it will come back.

I think you should not only take one but two weeks off of any pressing, pushing and the biggest culprit, chinning.

The second week of your rest period I'd introduce some grip work and forearm work, farmers walks are good.

But I think you're smart resting the the forearm and elbow.

I don't believe fish oils, icing, stretching and strapping is the answer.

The answer is strengthening the muscle supporting and crossing over the joint.
That's of course after you've rested the afflicted area and all swelling has completely gone.

I hope that makes sense to you, to many it doesn't

I think you should not only take one but two weeks off of any pressing, pushing and the biggest culprit, chinning.

The second week of your rest period I'd introduce some grip work and forearm work, farmers walks are good.

But I think you're smart resting the the forearm and elbow.

I don't believe fish oils, icing, stretching and strapping is the answer.

The answer is strengthening the muscle supporting and crossing over the joint.
That's of course after you've rested the afflicted area and all swelling has completely gone.

I hope that makes sense to you, to many it doesn't

Makes perfect sense thanks. Luckily I just scored some scrap to build a set of farmers walk handles over the weekend. So looks like I'll be blazing a trail through the oval behind my house doing farmers walks for fortnight.

I'm beginning to think the only exercise you can do more then once a week with any kind of intensity is squatting.

Would not be pushing through pain. Usually it will subside with a bit of massage and 1-2 weeks rest. If it persists after 2 weeks, definitely see a physio

Goosey is spot on here. I had knee pains every time I ran so I saw a physio and basically said the same thing, strengthening the supporting muscles around it and stretching. haven't had a problem since

Also try squatting with cambered or safety bars. Depending on your grip/width you may also be loading up your arms gripping onto a straight squat bar. Going through similar issues. I am also not 20 or 30 something anymore.

Slow eccentric work on the wrist extensors will help in the long run, but straps will help alleviate symptoms by distributing the load.

Slow eccentric work on the wrist extensors will help in the long run, but straps will help alleviate symptoms by distributing the load.

Hear that Fluffy SLOW eccentric work on the wrist extensors and none of this quick shit either that or get the missus to give you a "hand".

Yep i had pretty bad tennis elbow for a while there, got it badly from squats since i use such a narrow grip and i tend to grip real tight, didn't do any good. Fortunately it managed to just go away but it lingered for a while especially while doing dips, squats and bench. I kinda felt that not fully locking out while doing dips and bench lessened the pain a little but that was just me. I think the less attention you put onto it the quicker it will go away

Yep i had pretty bad tennis elbow for a while there, got it badly from squats since i use such a narrow grip and i tend to grip real tight, didn't do any good. Fortunately it managed to just go away but it lingered for a while especially while doing dips, squats and bench. I kinda felt that not fully locking out while doing dips and bench lessened the pain a little but that was just me. I think the less attention you put onto it the quicker it will go away

Not locking out "the joint" in any exercise is a good thing, for the joint.

Some good stuff on forearm/elblow work about 2/3 through this vid. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oylx0Up7nG8&feature=g-hist]Episode 66: wrist mobility in the front rack & TL Junction Love - YouTube[/ame]

I've had a little bit of tennis elbow in the left lately which seems to get worse when I squat regularly low bar. Have now been incorporating more elbow mobility work and it feels a bit better.

The other good one I do (which I can't remember where I got) is get a long resistance band and wrap it around your elbow. (arm straight) Bend wrist back and push into something (fingers facing down) and then use you're other hand to twist the elbow joint a bit. It will feel a good stretch depending on which way you turn it. Then I do a bit of soft tissue massage through the band. Take the band off and the mobility is always a lot better.

Goosey: neutral grip chins are better than supinated grip chins right?

Some good stuff on forearm/elblow work about 2/3 through this vid. Episode 66: wrist mobility in the front rack & TL Junction Love - YouTube

I've had a little bit of tennis elbow in the left lately which seems to get worse when I squat regularly low bar. Have now been incorporating more elbow mobility work and it feels a bit better.

The other good one I do (which I can't remember where I got) is get a long resistance band and wrap it around your elbow. (arm straight) Bend wrist back and push into something (fingers facing down) and then use you're other hand to twist the elbow joint a bit. It will feel a good stretch depending on which way you turn it. Then I do a bit of soft tissue massage through the band. Take the band off and the mobility is always a lot better.

Goosey: neutral grip chins are better than supinated grip chins right?

That's an excellent video, now all I've to do is apply it to my broken and torn wrists and elbows.

Thanks :) So that's why they have those 45deg bars on the power racks. Mine only has neutral and regular :( I find that nuetral is better for my shoulders which tends to be easier on the elbows but the actual exercise is a lot harder that way.