• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Motivate the girl to gym

M husband wants to be motivated but last time we trained together he turned into a hindrance! Didn't listen to my instructions and didnt pick up a bar unless I told him to.....

Workout alone forever Crew! Lol

Think that might have something to do with gender here. Lifting is a 'manly' thing to do and when your smaller mrs is out lifting you (im assuming) he's most likely going to crack the shits / not want to do it.

^ that certainly would be de-moralising for the man

Thats what im thinking, would be similar to your mrs being able to legitimately out box you or something along those lines...

Would be hard to feel all manly and shit if that happens... You're meant to be the bigger/stronger person in the relationship and when that role gets revered even in just a weight lifting sense shit gets awkward...

You can't 'motivate' anyone. That has to come from them. If you 'suggest' fitness routines, she'll likely take it as a subliminal message that you don't think she's good enough for you.

Also remember, fitness is one thing. Bodybuilding, strength training, crossfit, zumba, pilates, yoga...are all just ways to 'workout' to get you to your desired outcome. Whatever that may be.

Why don't YOU try going on her walks with her? Start by giving, rather than having any level of expectation.

Everybody trains or 'wants' to train for a different outcome. Hers may be very different to yours, therefore working out together might be rather pointless?

Once you've been on a few walks together, invite her to the gym, organise a free pass for her & get excited about showing her those 2.5kg db's that have her name on them. lol

Show her youtube vids on female training & remain excited about the walks with her in between your own training, to show her that you're focused on cardiovascular fitness as well as the creation of muscle & the building of strength.

Encourage her.
Get excited about her achievements. No matter how small.

You can't motivate her, but you can always influence people with positivity.

And remain open minded & flexible about 'workout routines' - no one way, is right. It depends entirely on your goals.

I swim/ride/walk/box/lift weights/do yoga as well as a miriad of different HIIT routines. I aim for good cardio fitness, increase lbm, get stronger, leaner & faster.

But thats me. Maybe her only aim is to sustain cardiovascular fitness? By walking for 30 minutes 3 x a week, shes doing just that.

When I was overweight, you couldn't have paid me, to join a gym or move my fat ass. I was ashamed, embarrassed & terrified. Walking is where I started & I still walk, just to walk. Its good for you :)

Its up to YOU to begin where she has started. Walk. Make it brisk, invigorating & get excited about it.

Excitement & positivity is infectious & influential.

I have every muscle bound man I know doing yoga. It was no mean feat! Influence with enthusiasm & give them opportunity to see the benefits for themselves (i.e. get her a free gym pass, you showing her a few simple bro curls or seated calf raises) encourage her, be happy that she's there. Be patient & be positive.

If its for her, she'll at least be curious to continue. If its not? She'll still walk.

No one loses :)

Can you stop with the epic long posts. It's a message board not a blog, no one comes here to read a novel by Bella.

Cliffs on bellas post - If she doesn't want to lift weights thats fine, lifting weights isn't really popular with woman.
If your wife wanted you to do knitting or whatever the fuck woman do, you probably wouldn't do it. Unless your gay. And then your also dishonest because you married a woman while being gay.

Cliffs of my post - Let her follow her interests/hobbies, you follow your interests/hobbies.

Hmm stop for who? You? No.

I posted a response to the OP, who posed a question on a forum, which I am a member of & have every right to participate in.

Unless & until Admin tells me there's a cap on my posts, my keystrokes, or the amount of characters I'm allowed to use per post, then I will respond in the way & manner I choose to.

You shouldn't concern yourself with it so much Fluff. Like any other post on these boards, you choose to read it, or not to read it, the outcome is dependent on you.

Meh I don't want to argue with you I'm not in a ****y mood today due to it been Friday. Just saying most people will scroll past that shit cause it is to long, you could make your point in 3 or 4 lines no problem.

Ignore mode engaged.

Just saying most people will scroll past that shit cause it is to long, you could make your point in 3 or 4 lines no problem.

Ignore mode engaged.

Yep this is what i did, scroll straight past....

But in general i have given up trying to get missus to exercise, she isnt fat or anything like that, so i dont mind, but if she worked out dropped some BF and built some muscle she would have a bangin bod for sure, she just has that sort of frame.

If you push the issue she basically wont stick to it, you have to find something she enjoys doing that doesnt seem like it is working out, then if she starts seeing results she might change her tune, then again she may not....

Constantly check out fit chicks when you're with her. That should do the trick (half serious).

Hahaha, this IS what i do, and she even checks out fit chicks and comments on their bodies, to which i generally reply that she could look as good if not better with a little consistancy, dedication and commitment to diet and exercise.

If she is not interested it does not matter what you do, she will not do it full stop.

My missus refuses to exercise no matter what, she will come up with the most random excuses to not do it, as soon as the time to exercise comes around she will start washing up, vacuuming, making beds, dusting, pretend to be sick, have a head ache, start cleaning the kids rooms, sorting out socks, do ironing etc etc you name it and she will come up with it.

It annoys the crap out of me but nothing I can do, we have had countless arguments about this, and I have a feeling if it continues it might just be our (her) undoing in the next few years.:cool:

So I suggest if it annoys you as much as it annoys me move on now and get a partner that shares your interests.

What the others have said. You can't push anyone into lifting weights. They either won't do it at all or do it and hate it and not stick to it.

My missus likes exercising but not that much lifting weights. She does want me to get a leg press for my gym because I think she isn't that confident with squatting. I would use a leg press but its not at the top of my wish list.

Cliffs on bellas post - If she doesn't want to lift weights thats fine, lifting weights isn't really popular with woman.
If your wife wanted you to do knitting or whatever the fuck woman do, you probably wouldn't do it. Unless your gay. And then your also dishonest because you married a woman while being gay.

Cliffs of my post - Let her follow her interests/hobbies, you follow your interests/hobbies.

thanks for giving the cliffs on wall-o-texts post/life story

i agree with the guys who check out fit chicks, as in jealousy is a big motivator

If she is not interested it does not matter what you do, she will not do it full stop.

My missus refuses to exercise no matter what, she will come up with the most random excuses to not do it, as soon as the time to exercise comes around she will start washing up, vacuuming, making beds, dusting, pretend to be sick, have a head ache, start cleaning the kids rooms, sorting out socks, do ironing etc etc you name it and she will come up with it.

It annoys the crap out of me but nothing I can do, we have had countless arguments about this, and I have a feeling if it continues it might just be our (her) undoing in the next few years.:cool:

So I suggest if it annoys you as much as it annoys me move on now and get a partner that shares your interests.

My missus is the same, wont fukin exercise at all, once or twice a year she will have a crack at a diet for a week or 2 and do some bullshit like the wii fit or use this useless ab swing fukin thing she got from her mum that is wasting space in my garage (until next council hard waste day :eek:)
I always try and get her to come for a walk but I am pushing shit uphill, at least the boy comes with me and likes getting amongst it.

i agree with the guys who check out fit chicks, as in jealousy is a big motivator

jealousy is a great foundation for a relationship that will last about 3 weeks...lol.

mix in a bit of spite, anger, revenge and random and mix into a cake. Will leave you with cramps in the guts and a severe case of the shits....:D

jealousy is a great foundation for a relationship that will last about 3 weeks...lol.

mix in a bit of spite, anger, revenge and random and mix into a cake. Will leave you with cramps in the guts and a severe case of the shits....:D

*note this will only work with a well established relationship*

obviously it cant be extreme, can just be as simple as having a few pics of different strong people in your home gym

I'm lucky with regards to this, I guess. My girl decided to take an interest in free weights (and chinups, etc.), after seeing what it was doing for me, as well as finding out about what it can do for women.

She's quite happy with the results, so far, and isn't likely to stop any time soon. Squats, deadlifts, bench, ohp, rows and chins - and not much else, lol. Not knowing what the hell I was doing as a PT, I thought I'd start her off with stuff similar to my own routine. Almost the same, actually.

Seems to be working. :cool:

Start off gentle, and encouraging, is my advice. Light weights, comfortable form, different lift variants (dumbbell squats, say, and dumbbell bench - whatever is more appealing).

Well, good luck. Definitely, she could check out some of those websites/images. Jesus, there's some impressive transformations out there! :eek: And on here, for that matter.

My take on it is, the human body is meant to "move loaded". It's natural, healthy (scientifically proven to be so!)*, makes you feel good, and yes, makes you look better. Your true shape can actually come out and be seen. Like chipping away at a sculpture-to-be, and revealing it. Or something, heh. :p

Okay, I suck at this motivational crap. :)

* For example, it strengthens da bones, and so on.

Last edited:
Wow, this sparked a big reply Haha.. I'm gonna join a mixed oz tag team and see if she wants to play. If she does its start. Thanks for the replys. Positive and negative Haha..

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2