• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscle Motion Standard or Commercial

Snoochies

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

I have recently sold my bar / pool table etc and am converting the room to a home gym. I currently use our work gym but am over the waiting periods to use the rack.

Have been reading on here trying to gather as much information as possible and it seems the Muscle Motion power rack is the most popular but others have also stated that the commercial one is obviously the best choice.

I started lifting this year and currently squat 155kg. Obviously I am looking at going heavier as it's still early days and after the sale of my bar, I have $1850 to throw at some gym equipment and am able to pay extra on top of that.

For someone like me who may never reach the 200kg squat, would it be over kill to go for the commercial or should I just stick with the standard. I may surprise myself one day though.

Cheers

I've regularly squat ~180-200 for reps out of the muscle motion basic rack, no issues.

I also use the commercial one (as the gym has both).

No issues with either really. The commercial is more solid because it weighs 200 odd kg, but there's no dramas with the regular rack. I have a powertec rack in my home gym and have not had any issues with it over a number of years of use.

Cheers,

If you had the option of going commercial would you or just go with the standard? The commercial is appealing for the fact you can stack your weights on it and save some room but with the standard I can put some money toward more rubber matting and other bits to dress up the room.

The area I am putting the gym is in a predominant part of the house so am looking for something aesthetically pleasing to the eye so to speak as I will be using it as a sports bar as well so it won't be a garage type set up.

I can spend around the 2kish mark but seriously don't want to be a tool who went above and beyond what I really needed. I will admit, the commercial does look great but I'm not the type of lifter who lifts that much to warrant such a thing.

If you had 2k to spend, where would you spend it?

Cheers

If I had to choose between the two I would probably get the standard and spend the savings on more/better equipment (eg upgrade the barbell, get more weight, get a GHR etc).

That's just me, though :D

Buy quality buy once. I would get the commercial rack if I had to do it from scratch again. I disagree with moons on the GHR. I have one and wouldn't get one again, overrated, but that's just my opinion.

I use the GHR at least twice a week atm :p

I agree with buying a quality product. I just think that 'standard' racks can be quality to.

At the end of the day, either rack will last longer than you do. If you prefer the commercial, the additional upfront cost will amount to fuck all over the course of your training lifetime.

My GHD gets used 3-5 a week
Both for glute/hams and abs

Mine got used plenty, used it every session for a long while.

Lifts didn't improve at a greater rate when I got it. When i stopped using it progress didn't slow. Just my opinion but its a overhyped bit of equipment. GMs, SLDL are better exercises. Ill still do GHRs very occasionally if I have time but even then feel my time could be used better. I would never get one if i had my time again or recommend one to people.

Again just my useless opinion.