• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Going back to Starting Strength as an "intermediate" lifter

I detect sarcasm Oz, are you implying Oni isn't a former national level competitive cyclist, endoctrinal/steroid expert, seasoned rock climber, with 31" legs, who can easily squat a double at 150 and reguarly catches up for friendly chats with every olympic and powerlifting expert in the know universe dead or alive.

Thats low mate, Oni is alot of things but why would he lie to us?
0ni eats porky pie

0ni eats porky pie

I think oni is chisolm. There i've said it cat is out of the bag. They always start of disagreeing and in a few posts Oni has brought him around with google evidence and they agree and the thread takes a pro 0ni tone.

Chew on that Ausbb conspiracy.

I'm just butthurt cause oni is smarter then me although oddly despite having no consistency in my training and been a lazy fuck generally I manage to be 20kg heavier and stronger, go figure aye.

Can the mods please take ther last couple pages and put in the thread I started.

Last edited:
I think oni is chisolm. There i've said it cat is out of the bag. They always start of disagreeing and in a few posts Oni has brought him around with google evidence and they agree and the thread takes a pro 0ni tone.

Chew on that Ausbb conspiracy.

Shit you could be onto something, how convenient we are both shit at pressing and anorexic in size (or maybe we are just smarter in not getting fat?)

Listen people, Here's how it is:

- 531 is better than PPP or SSS because Wendler has a sick beard. Do 531
- You will stall sooner or later on a linear progression if you are not at least in a moderate calorie surplus some of the time, newbs excluded.
- Rock climbing is for fags
- Shredded 6-pack for the girls, and curls for the girls.
- 0ni/Chisholm is always right.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I don't think it matters, just pick any of the well-established programs. Train hard, eat well, get sleep consistently and who gives a fuck what program you're on. However, in my 13th week of 531, I'll share my thoughts on it so far:

- Going from a general unstructured training, 531 was pretty tough to adjust to, initially I saw a drop in performance and felt quite 'beat up'.

- Despite quite moderate weight gain/calorie surplus ~2kg over 12 weeks, I'm consistently setting rep PRs, so that's indicative of general strength development.

- I feel speed work is important, so I get some in as warmups, sometimes on 'rest or plenty during de-load week. Fast triples up to ~80%.

- Doing DLs for reps seems to work poorly for me, so instead on that do I do some kind of squat and some kind of oly stuff. Recently DL'd the first time in 2 months for an easy PB 180 x 3 @ 77.5kg 5"11.

- I don't believe a full de-load week every 4 is necessary or productive at my level, I use it to work on speed, oly stuff for fun, and work up to a few heavyish singles.

- 531 is not great for maximal strength/confidnce/technique because you rarely handle near-maximal weights, I see it as 'off season' powerlifting for putting on general size/strength. For this reason I'm going to switch to a block of Bulgarian Method or something along those lines closer to comp time.

Last edited:
To go back to the original post, I have a template of PPP which i've been saving for when i'm back on a calorie surplus so thats also an option...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik]Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube[/ame]

Choose a program and stick to it.

I wouldn't recommned SS. Its a beginner program for beginner gains.

I rate 5/3/1. Its a good solid program that can be easily manipulated to fit a variety of goals. If you're just training to get stronger at an activity it will probably work well. I have no experience with PPP.