• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Going back to Starting Strength as an "intermediate" lifter

SWH

Alright so i've been lifting for a year now my lifts have built up to about 10kg under intermediate status *130,170 and 80* I'm currently on a cal deficit and on 5/3/1 although I was wondering if i could still make 2.5-7.5kg linear progress weekly on SS even though my lifts have developed to almost intermediate potential? Considering i'll be on a caloric surplus while doing this would this be beneficial or would it be better to start on a new program such as PPP, stay on 5/3/1 or go onto an intermediate SS program?

Why don't you try it and see
In before the usual crowd starts discussing whether or not something will work - just try it and form your own opinion

The worst that can happen is you waste a month of your time, big deal

Do what feels good to you...

IMO Makes no difference which program you do...

More important to be motivated and training consistently...

I'm guilty of playing program ping pong. Something like 5/3/1 is a slow moving programme you need to be on it long term to reap the benefits. Consistency is the key I've had great results from 5/3/1 but only when I stuck it out.

But fuck the longer I lift the more I realise just do what you enjoy, if your having fun in the gym who gives a fuck about anyyhing else unless you want to compete or something.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of playing program ping pong. Something like 5/3/1 is a slow moving programme you need to be on it long term to reap the benefits. Consistency is the key I've had great results from 5/3/1 but only when I stuck it out.

But fuck the longer I lift the more I realise just do what you enjoy, if your having fun in the gym who gives a fuck about anyyhing else unless you want to compete or something.

I agree. Lifting is a long term thing and if you are not doing stuff you enjoy you will never stick with it.

I agree although my real question was if i was go to back to SS, does the 7.5kg squat increase etc work for someone who has already progressed to a certain degree?

I agree although my real question was if i was go to back to SS, does the 7.5kg squat increase etc work for someone who has already progressed to a certain degree?
Could do. There's seriously only one way you'll ever know. At your level you might add 20kg onto your squat PR from a couple months of SS, or you might stall flat on your face as soon is you're in new 5RM territory. Both are quite possible, and the only way you'll ever know is if you try it and see for yourself.

While we're sort of on general programming what's peoples opinions of

-west side
-smolov
-sheiko

For someone who's at 125kg bench, 100 bodyweight?

My focus's are chin up strength (4 rock climbing) and bench/military for general strength. West side looks fun to me but not sure it would be good for someone of my level.

Westside can be programmed for someone who has never lifted before if you know what you're doing
It's the type of program that if you know how and why it works, and how that applies to you then you'll make progress no matter what your status as a lifter
It's also the type of program/training method that is easy to f*ck up

While we're sort of on general programming what's peoples opinions of

-west side
-smolov
-sheiko

For someone who's at 125kg bench, 100 bodyweight?

My focus's are chin up strength (4 rock climbing) and bench/military for general strength. West side looks fun to me but not sure it would be good for someone of my level.

For the first 6 years of training, aim to increase volume. Increased volume will give consistent gains. Then keep volume the same and increase intensity.

Whatever training methodology you subscribe to, having the focus on this will nearly always give solid gains.

Also as a guy that rock climbs, I find chin-up strength to have very little carry over. Gymnastics and focusing on full body tension will give much better results

Pretty sure the chin up would have more carryover to rock clombing then snyother exercise you could do.

How long have you been rock climbing Fluffy?
The ability to keep full body tension is what keeps you on the rocks, not ability to do a pull-up

It's actually 90% finger strength (some might say 99%) and 10% chin up / back / biceps strength. Hence why I do chins for it, and the others are really just to keep things well rounded / to lift heavy shit.

Of course chins will have little carry-over to non overhung climbs.

Of course, but you still use your fingers, and they will always give in first on 99% of climbs. On some climbs you need monumental chin strength, but they're very rare.

Being a young bloke with strong islander genetics im pretty sure you are not close to reaching the end of your 'linear progression' road, however increasing by 7.5kg / week on your squat will not happen without adding muscle mass, ie: eating as per advertised in SS.

That being said, 3x5 seems like a pretty good option when in a calorie defecit since you can maintain the intensity (weight) of your workouts and maybe even continue to increase the weight a little once per week... which is exactly what I have been doing.

How long have you been rock climbing Fluffy?
The ability to keep full body tension is what keeps you on the rocks, not ability to do a pull-up

Wait let me guess oni you started rock climbing two weeks ago in that time you ran through a himalayan sherpa periodization prigram and just yestrerday you climbed K2 unassisted. In the mean time you have been emailing sir edmund hillary beyond the grave for some tips on the nuances of scaling vertical faces.

I don't rock climb onus but I do enjoy watching vids of the free climbers on youtube and all their upper body movements seem to mimick the chin up, ie overhand pulling.

Also joe your in brissy right? where do you go climbing I'd love to try it for real sometime instead of just playing hero on the indoor wall at burleigh.