• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Going back to Starting Strength as an "intermediate" lifter

Alright so i've been lifting for a year now my lifts have built up to about 10kg under intermediate status *130,170 and 80* I'm currently on a cal deficit and on 5/3/1 although I was wondering if i could still make 2.5-7.5kg linear progress weekly on SS even though my lifts have developed to almost intermediate potential? Considering i'll be on a caloric surplus while doing this would this be beneficial or would it be better to start on a new program such as PPP, stay on 5/3/1 or go onto an intermediate SS program?

I've been lifting for thirty years now, what do you think it is that keeps me coming back for more?

Also Just realized this is in the PL section, but what exactly does this have to do with rock climbing?
I think some of you blokes seem to believe that weight training not just cures: coughs, colds, sore holes and spots on your dick, but also think it makes one a better athlete?

Just further to SWH's o.p. What program would/should O.P. usually move to after S.S.
Assuming he started a basic 3 day per week full body routine like PTC beginner, then went to S.S, would a conventional 4 day split be most appropriate for him usually?

(Sorry no tips on Rock Climbing except don't fall.)

Lold at ed coan shitting all over rip saying squatting once a week is fine

Just further to SWH's o.p. What program would/should O.P. usually move to after S.S.
Assuming he started a basic 3 day per week full body routine like PTC beginner, then went to S.S, would a conventional 4 day split be most appropriate for him usually?

(Sorry no tips on Rock Climbing except don't fall.)
The normal recommendation on progression beyond SS (assuming that the goal's still the same; if not then it's a moot point) is to keep doing 3x5 on Mon and Fri with a light-squat day in the middle of the week, and when that dries up, move onto the Texas Method (5x5 Mon, recovery Wed, 1x5 PR OR dynamic effort Fri).

Wait let me guess oni you started rock climbing two weeks ago in that time you ran through a himalayan sherpa periodization prigram and just yestrerday you climbed K2 unassisted. In the mean time you have been emailing sir edmund hillary beyond the grave for some tips on the nuances of scaling vertical faces.

I don't rock climb onus but I do enjoy watching vids of the free climbers on youtube and all their upper body movements seem to mimick the chin up, ie overhand pulling.

Also joe your in brissy right? where do you go climbing I'd love to try it for real sometime instead of just playing hero on the indoor wall at burleigh.

I used to climb with the UQ and QUT rock climbing clubs at kangaroo point.. I haven't been doing it with a club for a while, just trying to get back into it with a friend (indoors, we dont have gear of our own). If I do join a club it might be with the "Brisbane rock climbing club". I feel like too much of a pedo turning up to the uni climbing clubs these days as an aging post grad.

Climbing is great fun but it's hard to find good clubs, climbers tend to be pot smokers with hippy leanings which I often don't get along with too well.

Last edited:
That feel when cannabis smoker
I have some decent climbing books that i can upload later
Strength training is not really that important for it as long as you can keep your entire body rigid

I used to climb with the UQ and QUT rock climbing clubs at kangaroo point.. I haven't been doing it with a club for a while, just trying to get back into it with a friend (indoors, we dont have gear of our own). If I do join a club it might be with the "Brisbane rock climbing club". I feel like too much of a pedo turning up to the uni climbing clubs these days as an aging post grad.

Climbing is great fun but it's hard to find good clubs, climbers tend to be pot smokers with hippy leanings which I often don't get along with too well.

Cool sounds interesting and probably warrants a thread of it's own. I enjoyed the indoor climbs I've done at burleigh but would love to try and scale something real.

Might give the uni clubs a look in I don't mind hippy chicks with smelly pits LOL.

Also wanna do keg tossing, cook haggas and dabble in under water basket weaving.
Please advise Oni
much appreciated

Also wanna do keg tossing, cook haggas and dabble in under water basket weaving.
Please advise Oni
much appreciated

I detect sarcasm Oz, are you implying Oni isn't a former national level competitive cyclist, endoctrinal/steroid expert, seasoned rock climber, with 31" legs, who can easily squat a double at 150 and reguarly catches up for friendly chats with every olympic and powerlifting expert in the know universe dead or alive.

Thats low mate, Oni is alot of things but why would he lie to us?