• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sydney MEAT LOVERS!!!

Woolies butcher's sell meat in the cryovac. I have bought rump when it was on half price.
All woolies meat comes cryovacced.

Buy cryovac....

Generally speaking the longer you leave it in the bag the more tender it gets... Although there are limits.. you can still keep these rolls in the chiller for a couple of months provided the bags remain sealed...

Your a big eater.... So you could eat a 2.5kg scotch fillet in a week...

Is there somewhere in particular you order from? A google search for cryovac sydney wasn't very helpful.

Edit: Wait is this just a way to package the food for freezing?

Can't answer your question, I just couldn't pass up on the organic meat.

I am not a fan of organic meat. As a beef producer, we treat cattle for pests like worms, ticks and lice. We use chemicals for this purpose and we achieve both production and animal welfare outcomes by getting rid of the parasites.

Ticks and lice are both capable of killing cattle simply through the drain on their system not to mention the discomfort they cause. Lice are bad up here this year and you see cattle everywhere with patches of hair licked off their ribs where they have been trying to stop the biting.

Organic producers, can't treat for pests.

All those people who don't want chemicals used on their food animals should have an infestation of fleas put on them and then see how long they maintain their aversion to chemicals.

I have no problem with organic plants because I couldn't care less if a bug kills a plant but bugs chewing on cattle unnecessarily really annoys me.

I actually never considered things from that perspective so thank you for that! I'm looking at ways to cut out estrogen from my diet which is why I considered buying organic. Apparently a lot of the pesticides/chemicals used to treat non-organic produce/meats contain estrogen.

I probably got through a couple kgs of chicken and beef a week at least. I buy everything from pendle hill in bulk and cut it all up

All you need then is a couple of trays place a layer of meat, then a layer of freezer bags, layer of meat, layer of freezer bag, etc. Til the tray is filled up. Throw it in the freezer. With the tray in a plastic bag. Stops all freezer burn on the meat and when you need some just snap off a layer or few pieces.

Easy, cheap and I don't have to buy meat everyweek

I actually never considered things from that perspective so thank you for that! I'm looking at ways to cut out estrogen from my diet which is why I considered buying organic. Apparently a lot of the pesticides/chemicals used to treat non-organic produce/meats contain estrogen.

I'm on a similar mission, but my priority is getting rid off as much BPA as possible. I've finally found some canned tomatoes which don't contain BPA lining and I'm a big user of them.

I like the grass fed beef they have, I'm a big consumer of gravy beef for curries/stews/stroganoff/etc... at $7.99 it's a great price too... since I eat around 2-4kg of that stuff per week.

Is there somewhere in particular you order from? A google search for cryovac sydney wasn't very helpful.

Edit: Wait is this just a way to package the food for freezing?

Nah bud...

Cryovac is the vacuum pack they put the fresh killed meat in. This does not need to be frozen...

Most of the meat you eat will start off like this.

I don't freeze red meat.... When I cut open a 2.5kg roll of scotch I usually finish it over 3 or 4 nights...

Ignore the veg... This meat is in a cryovac
byruqa9u.jpg

After it comes out of the bag I wrap mine
gyne2ymu.jpg

e8e4a8av.jpg

nazy8ava.jpg

Last edited:
Nah bud...

Cryovac is the vacuum pack they put the fresh killed meat in. This does not need to be frozen...

Most of the meat you eat will start off like this.

I don't freeze red meat.... When I cut open a 2.5kg roll of scotch I usually finish it over 3 or 4 nights...

How long does it last??

I always freeze red meat. When I get beef I get it in bulk. 200kg of red meat at a time, need to freeze that. I have had plenty of fresh and frozen red meat and I can't really tell the difference, red meat freezes very well.

How long does it last??

I always freeze red meat. When I get beef I get it in bulk. 200kg of red meat at a time, need to freeze that. I have had plenty of fresh and frozen red meat and I can't really tell the difference, red meat freezes very well.

Cryovac lasts several months.... Just as long as the bag remains sealed... But these portions are tiny compared to what you get...

Meat will also tenderise in the bag... It's common practise to age the meat 30 - 60 days in the bag before opening it...

Nothing wrong with freezing meat... It's just I can eat a couple of kilos within a couple of days so I do...

Woolies butcher's sell meat in the cryovac. I have bought rump when it was on half price.
All woolies meat comes cryovacced.

There is also the matter of quality... The majority of all meat nowadays is produced and put in cryovac...

Noting that Budget meat in cryovac still tastes like leather.... So buying quality meat is still important....

Woolies has MSA graded meat nowadays...I find my local woolies meat to be pretty good.

Incidently if you aim for an MSA graded meat you will improve your chances of getting quality cuts of meat...

Grading | Meat & Livestock Australia

It will depend on the abbatoir that the meat comes from as some are more stringent in there approach then others ( Alot of it is self regulated)

Then again there is always a cow that slips through with meat that is less then spectacular...

Mate, I have no idea about estrogen in pest control chemicals, I know it hides in a lot of places but it is definitely in hormonal growth promotants.

Funny thing is I don't think it is an issue. I have google trying to find the details now.

Ok There are basically 2 types of HGPs. Some are only estrogen and some have tren acetate and estrogen. They are used for slightly different things but you only give one pellet per animal for a growing season. The pellet looks like a bit of silastic, it is a cylinder of flexible sylicone about 20ml by 3ml.

The longest acting estrogen only pellet has 43.9mg of oestradiol. That's not a typo, 44mg will add 30kg bodyweight over a year in decent growing conditions. Now assuming that all of that hormone remains in the meat (I have no idea if this is the case) you have 44mg distributed throughout about 200kg of beef. Your 500g rump has about .11mg of that chemical.

The quick acting pellets have 60mg of tren acetate and 12 mg of oestradiol.

I'm interested in this subject, obviously. How much do you beef eaters concentrate on this eating quality issue? I know it is being force marketed as though it's important but what does the consumer really think?

We kill our own beef and it goes straight in the freezer. Nothing is hung or aged at all and we have predominantly brahman cattle so they are supposed to be tough. Having said that we have only had one that was hard to eat in the last 4 years.

Because we eat the entire beast, we get a good idea of which cuts are better than others and there is quite a bit of variance but one of my favourite cuts is also one of the toughest. Chuck can be chewy but it has a beautiful flavour that makes it well worth exercising the jaw muscles for. I think people who prioritise tenderness might be missing some of the best bits.

The problem is that no-one tells you that. They are telling you that you want soft meat and they seem to have lost flavour as a quality altogether.

I'm interested in this subject, obviously. How much do you beef eaters concentrate on this eating quality issue? I know it is being force marketed as though it's important but what does the consumer really think?

We kill our own beef and it goes straight in the freezer. Nothing is hung or aged at all and we have predominantly brahman cattle so they are supposed to be tough. Having said that we have only had one that was hard to eat in the last 4 years.

Because we eat the entire beast, we get a good idea of which cuts are better than others and there is quite a bit of variance but one of my favourite cuts is also one of the toughest. Chuck can be chewy but it has a beautiful flavour that makes it well worth exercising the jaw muscles for. I think people who prioritise tenderness might be missing some of the best bits.

The problem is that no-one tells you that. They are telling you that you want soft meat and they seem to have lost flavour as a quality altogether.

I agree the tender cuts often have the least flavor. Eye fillet is the most tender but not my favorite. I like porterhouse or even rump better.

Also get the tougher cuts of meat and slow cook it. Then you get tender, great flavor meat.

I like the tough cuts too, lots of flavour. I like gravy and chuck cuts. I pressure cook it. 15min in pressure cooker and it's super tender, the flavour is unbelievable too...

Yeah I dont have the benefit of fresh off the farm.... Everything I see is cryovac...

IMO the MSA just offers some consistency to a product that can vary in so many different ways...

I usually go with the 100 day grain fed Cube roll... The one I get is usually marked for export to Japan... This stuff is EPIC!!!

Wagyu is the most expensive... Im not a fan! Would much a rather a decent T bone or rump...

Having said that we have only had one that was hard to eat in the last 4 years

MSA avoids this^^^... The last thing a woolies or coles wants is this type of PR...

Yeah I dont have the benefit of fresh off the farm.... Everything I see is cryovac...

IMO the MSA just offers some consistency to a product that can vary in so many different ways...

I usually go with the 100 day grain fed Cube roll... The one I get is usually marked for export to Japan... This stuff is EPIC!!!

Wagyu is the most expensive... Im not a fan! Would much a rather a decent T bone or rump...

MSA avoids this^^^... The last thing a woolies or coles wants is this type of PR...

I had wagyu for the first time a couple months ago. Best steak i have ever had by a mile. So now I've got about 10 wagyu steers 8-10 months old. Plan on eating a couple myself.

So now I've got about 10 wagyu steers 8-10 months old. Plan on eating a couple myself.

Interesting... Although I suspect your not going to be giving the beer and regular massaging... Also they grain feed em for the last 3 or 4 hundred days?

I know very little about cows?