• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on this program for very tall bloke

ropeadope

Hi all,

So i've done some training here and there but for the most part of the last 2 years i've been travelling and have not done much at all. I'm at the end of my 3rd week of a program that i've developed just by searching the web etc..

I've also changed my diet a lot too. Upping my protein with max's superwhey and about 12 eggs and a litre of milk a day (just to name some of the stuff).

I'm 197cm tall and have a wingspan of 215cm
I'm a 103kg and am looking to put on more size but also get stronger on my lifts.

Each day of my program always starts with a compund exercise that i'll hit 3 x 5 (except deadlifts where i'll throw some max reps in) then move up to higher reps for the next sets of exercises. For example

Chest and triceps
Bench 3x5
incline bench 3x10-12
decline bench 3x10-12
fly's 3x10-12
+ all your normal tri exercises.

Shoulders and bi's

SOHP 3x5
dumbell press 3x10-12
side raises 3x10-12
front raises 3x10-12
+ all your normal bi exercise

Legs
Squat 3x5
hamstring curls 3x10-12
leg extension 3x10-12
calf raises 4x10-12

Back
Deadlift 1x5, 1x1, 1x5
lat pulldown 3x10-12
T-bar row 3x10-12
1 arm row 3x10-12

My current best lifts are:
Bench: 100x3
SOHP: 65x5
Dead:210x1
squat:100x6

I haven't strickly stuck to this exactly, sometime i'll throw a few things extra or change up. But for the most part this is it!

My questions are:
1. Does this program suit someone of my height who is trying to get stronger and gain muscle?
2. Is there anything i should change/add/remove?
3. Is scivation extend intraworkout worth it?
4. Do CLA tablets work?
5 Any tips etc?

I look forward to reading responses.

xo

More volume than what I do (although u do higher reps) but if it works continue I guess...

I'm tall too (194cm) but not sure why that should affect your exercise choice.

No idea what CLA is... most supps are snake oil though.

I do chest, shoulders and triceps on one day, back & biceps on another, cause chins work biceps and chest exercises work shoulders and triceps. I've seen others do it differently as you have and still make gains. I'm not sure one is better than the other.

Last edited:
Ey big fella... nice program youve put together...

Couple of tips...

Up your reps for most sets to between 6-8... this will give you enuf pump to put on mass but allow you to lift heavier for some strength gains as well...

Being that your only just getting back into the weights you will notice some good strength gains quickly as you condition your muscles again...

Also for most exercises up your number of sets to 5 per exercise... except decline chest... IMO decline doesnt need too much work as flat bench will take care of it essesentially... you dont want to develope a bottom heavy chest...

Other than that just stick to your simple compound movements for starters, keep same regeme for few months, record your lifts and aim to push more every week...

Eat, train, sleep, repeat...

Keep us posted bro...

The program sucks IMO.

Not enough frequency.
Too much upper body compared to lower body.
Too much pushing, not enough pushing.
Too much bullshit. Stick to mainly the compounds.

I'm not going to try and write a new program for you because I can't be arsed but use these guidelines.
1. Hit your main bodyparts/lifts 2-3 times per week.
2. Balance upper vs lower and push vs pull volume.
3. Stick to mainly compound lifts with only a smattering of isolation.

Way to encourage the bloke Freako... Outstanding... The guy is pretty much just starting out... why r you telling him to up his intensity so much straight away... not good advice... :(

Way to encourage the bloke Freako... Outstanding... The guy is pretty much just starting out... why r you telling him to up his intensity so much straight away... not good advice... :(

Where does he say to up his intensity? I can't see it.

Also the guy is hardly just starting out he is deadlifting over 200.

Hi all,

So i've done some training here and there but for the most part of the last 2 years i've been travelling and have not done much at all. I'm at the end of my 3rd week of a program that i've developed just by searching the web etc..

I've also changed my diet a lot too. Upping my protein with max's superwhey and about 12 eggs and a litre of milk a day (just to name some of the stuff).

I'm 197cm tall and have a wingspan of 215cm
I'm a 103kg and am looking to put on more size but also get stronger on my lifts.

Each day of my program always starts with a compund exercise that i'll hit 3 x 5 (except deadlifts where i'll throw some max reps in) then move up to higher reps for the next sets of exercises. For example

Chest and triceps
Bench 3x5
incline bench 3x10-12
decline bench 3x10-12
fly's 3x10-12
+ all your normal tri exercises.

Shoulders and bi's

SOHP 3x5
dumbell press 3x10-12
side raises 3x10-12
front raises 3x10-12
+ all your normal bi exercise

Legs
Squat 3x5
hamstring curls 3x10-12
leg extension 3x10-12
calf raises 4x10-12

Back
Deadlift 1x5, 1x1, 1x5
lat pulldown 3x10-12
T-bar row 3x10-12
1 arm row 3x10-12

My current best lifts are:
Bench: 100x3
SOHP: 65x5
Dead:210x1
squat:100x6

I haven't strickly stuck to this exactly, sometime i'll throw a few things extra or change up. But for the most part this is it!

My questions are:
1. Does this program suit someone of my height who is trying to get stronger and gain muscle?
2. Is there anything i should change/add/remove?
3. Is scivation extend intraworkout worth it?
4. Do CLA tablets work?
5 Any tips etc?

I look forward to reading responses.

xo

Why are you doing a split program?

Maybe some more info, have you had much previous experience prior the past couple of years or just starting out, how many days a week are you working out ?

I am a tall guy too (189cm) and looking at your workout its seems fine. Leg day is too light in my opinion

My leg days looks like this:

Squats: Barx12, 40x12, 60x10, 80x6, 100x4, 120x2
Leg Press (Incline): 125x12, 135x10, 145x6
Leg Extensions: 54x12, 61x12, 68 til Failure

Calf Raises (Incline press): 150x15, 160x12, 165x10
Standing Calf Raises: 25x15, 30x12, 35 til Failure

Leg Curls: Forgot weight, but 3 heavy sets til failure on last set

Pretty heavy day, wouldn't advise doing it then planning on doing a heavy walk or any running the next day.

Wait... wat?

Do you have the faintest clue what you're talking about? I was even being nice by giving him the benefit of the doubt that he had some training experience and not directly telling him to go full-body like Goosey did.

What does being tall have to do with it? I'm 194cm and I'm pretty sure Bazza is tall too...Just wondering?

Fucking strong newbie who can OHP 65kg 5 times with massively long arms.

I am with Freako on the lower body issue. You only squat 100 for 6 reps. If you are going to go lower frequency you have to at least up the volume for those days. Your volume looks like something I would consider doing twice a week.

I would probably listen to Freako if I was starting out again.... you train people right? how is your road to the 200kg bench going?

65kgx5 OHP or 60kgx5 OHP is not novice nightfalltech.. It may be normal to someone large (eg me) with a few months of training. When I could 65kgx5 I could bench press 120kg so it's not really 'new'. Took me ~8 months as 194cm medium build guy, maybe it would take a 140kg 5'8 samoan a month/3 weeks.

Wait... wat?

Do you have the faintest clue what you're talking about? I was even being nice by giving him the benefit of the doubt that he had some training experience and not directly telling him to go full-body like Goosey did.

I never told him to, I was asking why the fuck is he doing a split.

I'm curious.
And interested.

Strict or with leg drive? Bit of body english makes it an easy lift

Strict... I bench 120x1 (110x5) so thats less than 60% of my bench.. But thats still pretty novice, i could OHP 50 for reps the first time i ever tried it and bench about 80.

Not tooting my horn though, just saying for a bigger guy, a 60ish OHP isn't too unusual?