• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on this program for very tall bloke

Strict... I bench 120x1 (110x5) so thats less than 60% of my bench.. But thats still pretty novice, i could OHP 50 for reps the first time i ever tried it and bench about 80.

Not tooting my horn though, just saying for a bigger guy, a 60ish OHP isn't too unusual?
I've found that as you get more experienced then the greater the percentage difference will be between the bench press and overhead press.
Someone new may be able to overhead press say 80% of his bench, while with someone more experience will be able to overhead press say 60% of his bench press.

Last edited:
I've found that as you get more experienced then the greater the percentage difference will be between the bench press and overhead press.

I also don't think it is fair to use a weight as an arbitrary number people would be better off looking a their lifts in terms of a ratio of bodyweight.

1.5 x bw bench, bw strict press, 2 x bw squat, 2.5 x bw dead is pretty fucking strong numbers to be moving.

I also don't think it is fair to use a weight as an arbitrary number people would be better off looking a their lifts in terms of a ratio of bodyweight........
I agree Fluff, which is why this number of 140/100/190 or what ever it is that's been thrown around so often is a wank.

Both have their flaws. The BW ratios favour the little guys massively.

Benni did his WR 460kg deadlift at something like 180kg bodyweight. Just over 2.5 times BW. Going on BW ratios Oni is more advanced and should be giving him deadlift tips.

El Freako- That's why i was posted up my program to ask about flaws etc...My main aim is to get strong and grow a big back and arms. i will have a look at doing more 'pulling' cheers..

Bazza/Darkoz-I started lifting properly essentially january this year for about 6 weeks then injured my hands and pretty much started up again around when i posted this...

Goosey-Doing a split as i have the chance/opportunity to train pretty much as many days as i want and looking at doing sort of a 'powerbuilding' program. All the isolation work i do is based around the compound which i definitely care about the most. I'm not pretending to be an expert, i put that program up so i could get help tweaking it.

iBug- Cheers mate, never done any leg work in my life so slowly increasing reps as i go

D1cko- Just wondering about being tall, just in case there was something i didn't know...you never know

Fluffy- Jut put the numbers up as you know if i didn't someone would have asked me what they were anyway...

Someone new may be able to overhead press say 80% of his bench, while with someone more experience will be able to overhead press say 60% of his bench press.

My 2c on what you just pointed out
1c. More room for technical advancements on bench than overhead
2c. More room for development in the muscles that make up a bench press (lats, delts, pecs and tris) than in overhead press (delts, tris)

Before I hurt my shoulder my overhead was 77% of my bench, since my surgery overhead is down, bench is up. Percentage is now more like 65%

spending a shitload of time contemplating your exercise selection, workload, or choosing between the programs du jour generally does far more harm than good

Hmm pretty low volume and probably needs a little more balance.

I would focus most of the workout on big compounds. There's nothing wrong with adding in accessory work, and also nothing wrong with changing rep ranges. If you're training solely for strength, then you'd gear your program in that way - squats, deads, presses and basically do these split throughout the week.

If you want a little more variety in your training, then you can certainly add in accessory/isolation work, but the focus should always be on compounds.

Just make sure you balance the push & pull;

ie;

BB Bench
Pullups
Dips
Chinups
{accessory work if you desire, curls/lying tri extensions etc)

and if you're 'powerbuilding' and not 'powerlifting' then this is all OK. If you were solely intersted in powerlifting & numbers your whole approach would be altered

The term powerbuilding always makes me fucking lol
Do you really need your own term to describe what every fucking strength athlete and bodybuilder does already?

I also don't think it is fair to use a weight as an arbitrary number people would be better off looking a their lifts in terms of a ratio of bodyweight.

1.5 x bw bench, bw strict press, 2 x bw squat, 2.5 x bw dead is pretty fucking strong numbers to be moving.

I'd be happy with that ..

that would be around 165 bench, 110 strict press, 220 squat and 275 deadlift.. that would be fairly nice!

good forum this. Someone asks for a bit of help and most of you experts just criticise without contributing fuck all. I've been training for less than 2 months, that's why i'm asking......

My questions are:
1. Does this program suit someone of my height who is trying to get stronger and gain muscle?

Possibly. All programs work, find one that is safe and productive that will garner results over a long time...for you.

2. Is there anything i should change/add/remove?

Refer to your question 1.

3. Is scivation extend intraworkout worth it?

No.
4. Do CLA tablets work?

Work for what?

5 Any tips etc?

Refer to the first question.

6. Am I being kunty and such?

Yes you are.

Mate a few people have offered what advice they could... There's a good quote which was written by Stuart McRobert a fairly well known writer on bodybuilding (a bit controversial) but it was to the tune of 'If you're doing something and getting stronger keep doing it. Don't overanalyse, would you rather be strong or know more?'. Which is why I thought keep doing what you're doing, your lifts aren't too shabby.

Otherwise an Ed Coan type periodisation program is damn good. It's what I swapped to when I was at your level and I've made good progress (tho I changed a lot of shit). I am your height too (tho this is pretty irrelevant). I believe you can adapt the Coan program to suit all your lifts. Try the following link and enter your bench (in pounds, multiply by 2.2) to see what it could be in 3 months:
Powerlifting Heads-Up

El Freako set out a good beginner routine in another thread, not sure it would suit you as you're decently strong already -
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/21141-16-year-old-wanting-change-5.html

Last edited:
good forum this. Someone asks for a bit of help and most of you experts just criticise without contributing fuck all. I've been training for less than 2 months, that's why i'm asking......

There is some good fucking answers in the beginning of this thread.

If you can't handle it maybe been large and in charge just isn't for ya. We can't all go through life been alpha as fuck. You can just continue to hang out in the periphery of the gene pool feeding off my seconds, it's been good enough up until this point. Why initiate a change? There is always a place in the world for weak people, bullies still need someone to pick on, so on and so forth.

Hi all,

So i've done some training here and there but for the most part of the last 2 years i've been travelling and have not done much at all. I'm at the end of my 3rd week of a program that i've developed just by searching the web etc..

I've also changed my diet a lot too. Upping my protein with max's superwhey and about 12 eggs and a litre of milk a day (just to name some of the stuff). I'd skip the Max's stuff and use a cheaper alternative, ie why isolate from bulk nutrients PLUS oats. The cheaper it is, the more you can eat/drink.

I'm 197cm tall and have a wingspan of 215cm
I'm a 103kg and am looking to put on more size but also get stronger on my lifts.

Each day of my program always starts with a compund exercise that i'll hit 3 x 5 (except deadlifts where i'll throw some max reps in) then move up to higher reps for the next sets of exercises. For example

Chest and triceps
Bench 3x5
incline bench 3x10-12
decline bench 3x10-12
fly's 3x10-12
+ all your normal tri exercises. Only suggestion I have here is consider making incline your primary movement, or at least do it first

Shoulders and bi's

SOHP 3x5
dumbell press 3x10-12
side raises 3x10-12
front raises 3x10-12
+ all your normal bi exercise Monitor how your elbow/shoulder joints feel with 6 sets of pressing - I've recently been doing something similar, except I do the dumbbell presses, supersetted with the side raises so that it's not a second heavy lot of pressing. Also, I wouldn't bother with front raises - benching gives you plenty of front delt work and you may find you start to get niggling shoulder problems with all that front delt work. I would consider swapping front raises for rear raises or rear rows.

Legs
Squat 3x5
hamstring curls 3x10-12
leg extension 3x10-12
calf raises 4x10-12 You may find you get better results with sets of 10 on squats, otherwise, this is pretty standard. The volume is kind of low on the quads, often another exercise for 3 sets is included eg leg press or lunges

Back
Deadlift 1x5, 1x1, 1x5
lat pulldown 3x10-12
T-bar row 3x10-12
1 arm row 3x10-12 Honestly, the only change I would make here is that if you are able to do pull ups or chin ups, which may be difficult given your height and weight, I would try swap them for lat pulldown. This workout is roughly what I've been doing since I started training. Honestly, incorporating pullups has suddenly added width to my lats in a matter of months.

My current best lifts are:
Bench: 100x3
SOHP: 65x5
Dead:210x1
squat:100x6 With the exception of squats, which personally I've never gotten that high, due to broken toes/injuries over the last few years, I think you're doing well. That's awesome for the SOHP/Deads.

I haven't strickly stuck to this exactly, sometime i'll throw a few things extra or change up. But for the most part this is it!

My questions are:
1. Does this program suit someone of my height who is trying to get stronger and gain muscle? There seems to be a lot of talk on these forums about size vs strength blah blah. If you do this program and consistently progress either by more reps, more weight, less rest then provided you are eating in a calorie surplus your strength and size should increase - I have been one of the biggest culprits of constantly switching programs. I think if you can find a program you like and enjoy and stick with it consistently, that's what will produce the results.
2. Is there anything i should change/add/remove? See comments above. Summary being: pullups (if possible), maybe more quad volume, consider how useful decline bench is.
3. Is scivation extend intraworkout worth it? It depends on your budget :p Unless you're struggling with energy, I wouldn't bother with supps during your workout. I used to take purple wraath for BCAA's before my workout because they would kill your appetite and gave me a bit extra energy beforehand, so I would say unless you are struggling with your workouts, I wouldn't waste your money. Generally, I think protein + fish oil + glutamine are your key supplements - creatine works, but if you already put pressure on your internal organs eg through medicine, then maybe consider whether it's worth the risks.
4. Do CLA tablets work? Not sure about this one.
5 Any tips etc? Hopefully this doesn't mean that you ignore my advice, but I've been training since I was 19 and I'm now 25. I'm ~185cm and I've gone from 62kg to 90kg earlier this year and I'm now at 80kg. That's my background - if I could wind back the clock a few years, I really would just have picked a 4 day a week upper/lower split program and just stuck with it for at least a year and really tried to progressively increase my lifts, then when I stalled, deload for a few weeks and continue to progress. Also, in the earlier days I would have eaten alot more. Otherwise, enjoy it :D

I look forward to reading responses.

xo

Hey mate - I threw in my 2c above in red, hopefully that helps. What you're doing looks like the typical 3-5 day split. Have a go at it for a decent period. If you're not getting the results you are after, either try some of the basic workouts suggested on this thread or google lyle mcdonald's generic bulking routine for a solid 4 day split program.

Cheers

There is some good fucking answers in the beginning of this thread.

If you can't handle it maybe been large and in charge just isn't for ya. We can't all go through life been alpha as fuck. You can just continue to hang out in the periphery of the gene pool feeding off my seconds, it's been good enough up until this point. Why initiate a change? There is always a place in the world for weak people, bullies still need someone to pick on, so on and so forth.

i said most...i appreciate some of the shit was said. Just looking to talk shit about getting big