• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are pyramid increases needed?

Sydking

I couldnet pin point the right wording for the topic title.

But im talking when you see someone lifting program.

Eg someones squats 100kg, There program is 3x10

alot of times i see

40kg 3x10

60kg 3x10

100 3x10

I take it the lower weights are the warm up.... For me, I will warm up with body weight squats then straight into what my max lift at the time is.

Any problem in doing this. I would think there would be more benifit doing you max weight for each set then tapering up....

Pretty sure thats not 'pyramid sets'. Warmups are necessary l think for the big 4, other exercises that you do 2nd, 3rd etc not so much though.

Pyramiding = 50 x 5 - 60 x 5 - 70 x 5 - 60 x 5 - 50 x 5. just a way to get more volume in, they're not "needed" but can be good to mix things up though.

Im full retard so take that with a grain of salt.

Warming up is a personal thing...

Different strokes for different blokes...

40kg 3x10

60kg 3x10

100 3x10

^^^ I have to admit I don't remember seeing anyone warm up this way...

Generally speaking i thought it was more common to see the following...

Bar 10
40kg x 10
60kg x 10
80kg x 8
90kg x 5
100kg - 3x10

I couldnet pin point the right wording for the topic title.

But im talking when you see someone lifting program.

Eg someones squats 100kg, There program is 3x10

alot of times i see

40kg 3x10

60kg 3x10

100 3x10

I take it the lower weights are the warm up.... For me, I will warm up with body weight squats then straight into what my max lift at the time is.

Any problem in doing this. I would think there would be more benifit doing you max weight for each set then tapering up....

I do a few reps at a range of weights to my work sets to warm up and prepare my muscles... etc.. for 3x10 @ 100kg, i'd be looking at

1x10 @ say 40kg
1x5 @ 60kg
1x3 @ 80kg
3x10 @ 100kg

not enough to wear me out, but enough to ensure i'm ready and warm.

If i'm trying to get volume in, it would be more like

1x10 @ 40kg
1x10 @ 60kg
1x10 @ 80kg
3x10 @ 100kg
1x10 @ 80kg
1x10 @ 60kg

(that last 60 would feel pretty hard!)

Cheers all, I should probly do something similar when time permits, Cant to be to good just racking it straight of the bat :/

Everytime I don't do enough warm up sets I fuck up my main lift and feel real butthurt. I wouldn't do so many reps but definitely start light to get my muscles activated. Like foreplay.

Try an over warm-up. If your working sets are with 80kg, try:

50x5
60x4
70x3
80x2
90x1
80x10

And you will be able to get a lot more reps

Try an over warm-up. If your working sets are with 80kg, try:

50x5
60x4
70x3
80x2
90x1
80x10

And you will be able to get a lot more reps

I've tried that, didn't work for me with upper body stuff. Probably because of the smaller muscles being used causes fatigue sooner. Works well for squats though.

I've done it with squats and bench
I get 2-3 more reps on squats but not so many on bench. Maybe one. My bench isn't very strong though so I suspect that is the reason why. I know a lot of murican football players hit a 315lb single on the bench before doing their 225lb rep test

I've tried that, didn't work for me with upper body stuff. Probably because of the smaller muscles being used causes fatigue sooner. Works well for squats though.

What happened here?
Bazza almost agreed worth Oni.
Sorry, I must be in wrong forum.