• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bulgarian method article on t-nation

Both methods work perfectly well
Which one you choose is merely personal choice

I accidentally did something along the lines of the Bulgarian method for a few months - I say accidentally, because I came from doing generic bb'ing stuff and had no concept of programming for strength and just kinda made it up.

For me in that situation, it worked fucking well - healthy gains in strength, despite the fact I was dieting down at the time and dropped ~6kg. But I should add I also do intermittent fasting.

Working up to handling maximal weights ~6 days a week did wonders for my confidence and technique. And once adapted honestly it felt less taxing than 531 is for me now, which has me often feeling a bit 'beat-up' and far less confident handling near-maximal weights.

After another few cycles of 531 (with a bit of modification), I intend on doing the Bulgarian method for a 6-week block, and then evaluate what to do after that.

6 weeks is a bit of a funny time frame if you ask me.
I would do it for 10-12 weeks as a adaptation block or for 3-4 weeks as an intensification block. 6 weeks is kinda odd as it's too long to peak in strength but not really long enough to gain any serious strength and keep it

Yes, i agree both systems worked well. Many world and olympic champions for both Bulgaria and Soviets.

On T NATION the question is asked and a reply is given as follows:
What is the Bulgarian Method?

The Bulgarian method is a high intensity, high frequency system ...

And I can assure you that the reason it can work is due to one essential factor being missing from the equation, that factor is one word? Volume!

Not even a superman on steroids can survive an everyday (or nearly an everyday) training whereby the three type of methods are utilised at the same time namely:

a) High intensity
b) High frequency
c) High volume

Fadi.

Nobody said it was high volume Fadi
I also have a copy of some training cycles done by andrey belyaev. They are astounding to say the least. Yes he is very clearly the exception but I disagree with your statement. Lots of people will be able to adapt to that sort of training (survive it), the real problem is making progress on it

6 weeks is a bit of a funny time frame if you ask me.
I would do it for 10-12 weeks as a adaptation block or for 3-4 weeks as an intensification block. 6 weeks is kinda odd as it's too long to peak in strength but not really long enough to gain any serious strength and keep it

I agree. The 6 weeks is because I will have 6 weeks off work coming up (high school teacher), and have no major travelling plans this time, so it seems like good timing. If after 6 weeks I feel it's going well, it will continue on it for a prolonged block when I'm back to work - a bit more challenging, but manageable from past experience.

Looking forward to it. 11 weeks in I feel like this 531 shit is working ok, regularly getting quality rep work and constant PBs. Speed work on 'off' days is keeping my technique/speed up, but fuck the maximal stuff has taken a hit, - 130 Oly squat for a single felt slower than 140 when I ended the 'accidental' Bulgarian training.

Last edited:
...but I disagree with your statement. Lots of people will be able to adapt to that sort of training (survive it), the real problem is making progress on it
In the world of bodybuilding and strength / power training, the meaning of the term: "to adapt".. (according to my knowledge and experience) is as follows:

For a muscle to adapt is to:

a) Improves its function
b) Makes progress
c) Overcomes a plateau

So for someone to say (in the same sentence) that a lifter is able to adapt, yet turn around and say that they (that lifter) cannot make progress is to my mind and my way of thinking and understanding things, a contradiction in terms. I say please take your pick, choose between the two (opposing terns), as it is a case of either / or (but definitely not both).

I could be wrong of course, but am very much willing to be corrected and persuaded otherwise. Thank you.

Fadi.

Last edited:
oh ok cool
I know several people that do 5/3/1 and westside in 3 week cycles each
I think that might work doing 5/3/1 and the bulgarian method in 3 week cycles each. Volume followed by intensity in 3 week blocks works really well and is how I programmed my deadlift for a long time

In the world of bodybuilding and strength / power training, the meaning of the term: "to adapt".. (according to my knowledge and experience) is as follows:

For a muscle to adapt is to:

a) Improves its function
b) Makes progress
c) Overcomes a plateau

So for someone to say (in the same sentence) that a lifter is able to adapt, yet turn around and say that they (that lifter) cannot make progress is to my mind and my way of thinking and understanding things, a contradiction in terms. I say please take your pick, choose between the two (opposing terns), as it is a case of either / or (but definitely not both).

I could be wrong of course, but am very much willing to be corrected and persuaded otherwise. Thank you.

Fadi.

You used the wording "survive" which is a bit ambiguous. I would never try to increase all 3 ways of manipulating training volume at once though. I agree that if you send one or two variables into the extremes, the last will have to suffer - at least in the short term.

For example in Medvedyevs method, you use high volume and frequency, build up the volume for 6 years then slowly build up the intensity over the years. In Abadjiev's method you use high intensity and frequency, build up the frequency over the years then increase the volume. The end result is the same - you get to the point where increasing any of the 3 variables no longer works for you and you're pretty near what you can handle genetically. Which for people like andrey belyaev is pretty insane. If you're interested I can post up the training cycles. They are in Russian but easily translated

I was quoting Fadi

How do you not know what frequency, volume and intensity are Darkoz?
If you know what they are then I have no idea why you're finding it hard to follow

>Fadi is saying you can't have high frequency, volume and intensity and make decent progress
>I am saying you can adapt to it over 10+ years, you just need to start with one or two variables and increase the third slowly over many years

I was quoting Fadi

How do you not know what frequency, volume and intensity are Darkoz?
If you know what they are then I have no idea why you're finding it hard to follow

>Fadi is saying you can't have high frequency, volume and intensity and make decent progress
>I am saying you can adapt to it over 10+ years, you just need to start with one or two variables and increase the third slowly over many years

Yeah what would I know Oni, I'm confuzzled and have no idea about such things and apparently neither does Fadi.

Everyone, calm your jimmies, I'm pretty sure you're all misreading each other.
Nobody said it was high volume Fadi
I also have a copy of some training cycles done by andrey belyaev. They are astounding to say the least. Yes he is very clearly the exception but I disagree with your statement. Lots of people will be able to adapt to that sort of training (survive it), the real problem is making progress on it
I think Fadi was saying that it doesn't have high volume, although at first glance I did read it as him saying that it's a high volume program. So I understand the confusion.

Darkoz, Fadi did say 'survive' first, in the post immediately above Oni saying it.

Fadi, when Oni talks about adapting to the Bulgarian method but not necessarily progressing, I think he's talking about making the adaptations required to be able to do that style of training without destroying your body, without making the adaptations required to see your numbers increase. So, it's making some adaptations, just not all of the desired adaptations.

Tangentially, it grates my nerves when people talk about adaptation to training as if it's a bad thing. Adaptation is the general process(es) that makes you stronger, more muscular, etc (or, in the case of Oni's post, just protect you from being a cripple). You should be seeking to adapt, not saying: "Oh, I've adapted, so now I'm not going to make any more gains on this exercise/program." If you hit a plateau, it's not because you've adapted, it's because you've stopped adapting.

OK, my apologies then Oni, it's just that the post you quoted wasn't Fadi's post where he used the word 'survive'

It's all to hard, I'm going to bed

Well I started Bulgarian Method adapted to PLing this week.

Olympic back squats, front squats, power cleans and bench press will be the bulk of my volume. "secondary' movements will be snatch, ohp, DL, sumo DL, low bar squat, which are mainly for the sake of variety/skill.

Bulk volume in triples working up to doubles and singles. At a minimum both squat and press 4 x per week, in the gym minimum 5 days per week. Twice a day training when I feel like it/have the time. Minimal accessory work, just a few sets of rows, curls and calf raises here or there.

I intend to stick with it for at least a 10 week block, then evaluate. Now 3kg heavier after 16 weeks of 531, looking forward to setting new PBs.

Last edited:
Squat: Low bar squat, front squats, jump squats and paused variations
Press: Bench press, incline press, strict press, push press, behind the neck push press
Pull: Deadlifts, box deadlifts, RDL

Get at least two of these in each session but sometimes only one. Back is bodybuilt twice a week with very high volume rest/pause. Train every day

Pretty much.

Prefer oly squat over low-bar for now. Will probably have to switch at some point.

Not convinced in lots of DLing, John Broz reckons speed pulls twice a week max and only exceeding 80% on the rare occasion testing max.

Historically, DL is my best lift but hardest to recover from, and does not seem to respond well to frequency with higher % or volume. Not quite sure how I'm gonna program in the DLing, at some point will have a go at doing it again with frequency/volume for a decent block, just so if nothing else I can cross off that I've tried.