• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I'm confused.:confused:
He said to do this:
Pick your true 5RM, subtract 15.5kg and begin day 1 at that weight. Add 2.5kg every session until you get to week 6 day 3... you'll be squattning 20 with your previous 5RM max.
If you subtract 15.5kg from your 5RM and begin day 1 of a 20rep squat program, adding 2.5kg every session 3 days a week, you'll be at your old 5RM in 2 weeks, not 6.

6x3 = 18. 18x2.5 = 45kg. Slightly more than 15.5kg. I like the plan of hitting a previous 5RM for 20 reps, but the numbers stated aren't adding up.

That was long winded way of working it out, try this:
15.5 / 2.5 = 6 sessions

So perhaps he meant 2.5 a week instead of per session?

People are overthinking this
Yes I am going to start calling people out on this now

Just pick a weight that you can do for 20 reps. Beat it next time. Use small jumps

So what is the idea behind busting your guts cranking out high rep sets? Conditioning? Hypertrophy? Not for strength I presume, as that belongs in the 5 rep range.. or is it?

Why not have both, strength AND muscle

Ps, under 10 reps is not high reps

Last edited:

Just pick a weight that you can do for 20 reps. Beat it next time. Use small jumps

For a true 20 rapper, pick a weight that you normally do for 10 reps

Love and hate 20 reppers...I don't care what they are good for, but for outright willpower and mental strength they are great.

I would only ever do more than 10 reps on an exercise like bench because you get to lay down before, during and after.

Before I was broken, I liked to chuck in some 20 rep squats at the start of each month, just add 5kg each month.

Irs good just to shake thing up occasionally

Tbh the fact that people debate the efficaciousness of 20 rep anything astounds me

Actually agree 100% and do this myself.

I was only pointing out there is a 20-rep style program that goes for 6 weeks thats designed to get you to a 20RM ar your previous 5Rm or 10RM weight.

Agree completely though just add 2.5kg a week and keep going.

I first read about 20 rep squat through Dr Ken.
He'd done them all his training life.
Peary Rader would write about them often.

Notice the comments about his level of steroid usage.....

What does that have to do with anything there is nothing undoable about the programme in the link. Nothing beyond the work capacity of a natty, sure you aren't gonna turn into Serge after a couple months but most people natty or juiced seriously underestimate their capacity for volume.