• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Getting in on the current sidetracking of this thread, I'm terrible at reps. My first 20-rep squat was at 50% 1RM. Back when I was doing Starting Strength I was even worse -- I got so accustomed to 3x5 that to even approach a 6th rep in my working sets meant a significant reduction in weight, and after an injury I found myself doing 3x10 at 30% and being thoroughly gassed, as well as very sore afterwards.

Over the last 8 weeks I've been focusing on 10 reps per set with squats, starting with 5x10, and then diealing it down to 3x10. On Monday I aim to hit 10 reps at 100kg (when I started at 5x10 I was doing 60kg), and then taper off with probably some doubles and triples before trying to hit that magical 3 plate 1RM in the second week of November.

Back to the original question, I wouldn't do 20-reppers with deadlifts, but I might do it with RDLs. I would do it with bench press, overhead press and rows.

I remember watching a video of a guy from PTC Frankston doing 130 squat reps@60kgs.

I guess at lower percentage 1RM's it's worth throwing a few in to relieve program "boredom" and too see what affect it has on my lifts.

Stickys 160 x 20 was an impressive bloody effort I have to say. He certainly made it look easy too.
Personally I loathe high rep stuff, I love the 3's and 5's but do chuck in the occasional higher rep stuff occasionally and surprised myself with 150 x 10 not too long ago. Personal best on widowmakers is 115 x 20 ages ago and my heart felt like it was about to punch through my chest, could punch out a bit more now I think.
Back to the original question, I think the odd high rep set is a good shock to the system but you need to work out what works for you and whether you have the commitment to bang out proper 20 rep sets.

If you follow a true 20-rep squat program you WILL talk to god at some point - its ugly.

6 weeks - 3 days a week

Pick your true 5RM, subtract 15.5kg and begin day 1 at that weight. Add 2.5kg every session until you get to week 6 day 3... you'll be squattning 20 with your previous 5RM max.

If thats way too gruelling, do it with your 10RM.

... eat LOTS of food and drink lots of milk.

Amen.

lol a few weeks ago I planned to just stick 60kg on the bar and just do rep until a song had finished
I got to like 7 reps before getting bored lmao

So what is the idea behind busting your guts cranking out high rep sets? Conditioning? Hypertrophy? Not for strength I presume, as that belongs in the 5 rep range.. or is it?

“Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in.”- Mark Rippetoe.

If you follow a true 20-rep squat program you WILL talk to god at some point - its ugly.

6 weeks - 3 days a week

Pick your true 5RM, subtract 15.5kg and begin day 1 at that weight. Add 2.5kg every session until you get to week 6 day 3... you'll be squattning 20 with your previous 5RM max.

Amen.

Fucking hell, that hurt just to read it...:eek:

Amusing that people consider anything above 5 reps to be high reps.

Really depends on the exercise / movement being discussed doesnt it?

Eg 20 curls and 20 squats, both at the same % of your respective 1rm's would have you feeling different afterwards, no?

6 weeks - 3 days a week

Amen.

Going by either of those plans I couldn't even complete the first session.

6 weeks - 3 days a week

Amen.
6x3 = 18. 18x2.5 = 45kg. Slightly more than 15.5kg. I like the plan of hitting a previous 5RM for 20 reps, but the numbers stated aren't adding up.