• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Half way mark between protein and steroids

While any form of lifting, and most rep ranges are going to have a positive influence - the last study I read from the NSCA stipulated 8-12 reps with a reduction in rest period between sets has the most positive influence on testosterone/GH levels.

I am sure 20 rep squats would be working wonders for those who are doing them.

how old is that study. I was hearing as late as early this year that max compound lifts no higher than 5 reps is best for Test levels. Whilst GH responds best to as you've said 8-12 reps.

Train lagging body part first then legs HARD to increase test was the subject of a uni study?

How did the study define lagging?
How did the study define HARD leg training?
Did the study measure test levels before and after? What other variables that affect test such as stress, bodyfat, recent sex, etc were controlled?
from what I've known for years Squats are the best for producing Test level increases. Also heard that GH levels are increased best when doing heavy compound upper body exercises - not sure how true that one is. Also heard that overeating produces a GH response.

how old is that study. I was hearing as late as early this year that max compound lifts no higher than 5 reps is best for Test levels. Whilst GH responds best to as you've said 8-12 reps.

from what I've known for years Squats are the best for producing Test level increases. Also heard that GH levels are increased best when doing heavy compound upper body exercises - not sure how true that one is. Also heard that overeating produces a GH response.

The book was released 2010 and from memory the references were 2009 or so.

I am now curious, and if I get some time will scour pubmed, and the American College of Sports medicine for some answers.

I know in myself personally, when I do compounds as heavy as I can for 8-12 reps, my body composition is at it's best. This is while maintaining variables like diet etc - but there's quite a few things at play that can confound this anecdote, such as amount of work done in the session etc. Hardly scientific!

It's not all about science
If it was just science then everyone would follow the law and be huge futhermuckers, all doing the exact same workout.

Last edited:
Train lagging body part first then legs HARD to increase test was the subject of a uni study?

How did the study define lagging?
How did the study define HARD leg training?
Did the study measure test levels before and after? What other variables that affect test such as stress, bodyfat, recent sex, etc were controlled?

For stronger biceps, train your legs
The effect of short-term strength tra... [Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

while no %1rm is suggested for the 6 sets of 10 reps, any considerable weight at this volume would be hard work for someone untrained.

also, to back up heavy lifting an test level increases:
Power sports increase testosterone production by forty percent
Variations in urine excretion of steroid hormones after an acute session and after a 4-week programme of strength training - Springer

while i am far from being an experienced lifter or having a high level of knowledge about endocrinology/training/etc, i do try to do a little research from reliable sources before i post about something :)

I just want to say if you look back to my great grandads generation
where horse and cart was the go some farmers had huge muscle..
why? cause of hard work and not cause of some supplements
to get muscle requires hard work.

Look up the ultimate stack on www.onlinenutrition.com.au 5 different supplements, you have to take res100, tococaps, zma, d.a.a and 50ml+ olive oil a day. Boosts testostrone pritty high. But honestly hard work and diet come first, get a real good trainign program, get ur diet sorted out properly and then think about supplementation.

i don't thing steroids is the good idea.There is a legal injectable supplement that isn't a steroid and will get you huge real quick. Its called synthol, all the pros are on it, instant results, cheap, you don't even have to lift anymore.

i don't thing steroids is the good idea.There is a legal injectable supplement that isn't a steroid and will get you huge real quick. Its called synthol, all the pros are on it, instant results, cheap, you don't even have to lift anymore.

Great advice.