• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
Hey, thought I'd make a thread about bench press technique, specifically the arch itself.
This is not the thread to bitch and moan about safety and "health"

Anyway, since the sessions at PTC Brisbane and following Scott's advice, my bench technique has much improved. My grip is now right out and I have spent considerable time increasing my ability to arch when I set up for the bench.

Now I Google'd the fuck out of this and couldn't find any solid info on methods used to increase the bench press arch. Everything was just "lay on a PVC pipe to warm-up". Today I managed to bench laying on a 6" foam roller and this is pretty much the biggest cylinder that my short torso can fit onto. The problem for me now isn't upper back flexibility I don't think so but more my ability to get my feet back under the bench. No idea what I have to improve on to increase my arch.

When I place my feet on the floor and use the bar to pull myself in, I get a really good arch but come up onto my toes. So I know it's not the arching but getting the feet under the bench.

Here is a video of my set-up anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLmKaCob0lY]Bench setup - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe you should work on developing a strong bench before reaching for the lofty heights of the perfect arch.

:cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8y1FAVw2_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Bench Session 23/7/12 - YouTube[/ame]

plez share info tara
how do you get yourself so that you're standing over the bench like that instead of laying down

I use a variance of sizes of PVC pipe to arch over on the bench to help with the arch.

I just have a flexible back. I don't purposely train for flexibility or the arch.. I have such an epic arch just to get maximum tightness.. If I had a choice I'd probably choose to not have to arch as much, its really not all that comfortable and always generates comments on my arch rather than my lift.. Why are you on such a mission to increase yours? For decreased ROM?.. I'd just work on increasing bench strength first? :)

Edit - also I have a big butt that makes it look a lot more arched

I just have a flexible back. I don't purposely train for flexibility or the arch.. I have such an epic arch just to get maximum tightness.. If I had a choice I'd probably choose to not have to arch as much, its really not all that comfortable and always generates comments on my arch rather than my lift.. Why are you on such a mission to increase yours? For decreased ROM?.. I'd just work on increasing bench strength first? :)

Edit - also I have a big butt that makes it look a lot more arched

Ah ok. I want a bigger arch because it will allow me to press more weight. I still (obviously) do plenty of strength training for the bench. I can work on both at the same time, increasing your arch doesn't stop you from getting stronger lol

I meant independent
I can work on both strength and arching separately and they do not have an effect on each other

True but honestly I would be focusing more on the former than the latter for a while. Majoring in the minor shit and all...

You can focus on both equally
Concentrating on technique does not stop me from training hard, it does not stop me from using progressively heavier weights and it does not stop me from increasing my volume. Not sure on what point you're trying to make here. I bench 3-4x a week and get in 450-500 reps a month

You can focus on both equally
Concentrating on technique does not stop me from training hard, it does not stop me from using progressively heavier weights and it does not stop me from increasing my volume. Not sure on what point you're trying to make here. I bench 3-4x a week and get in 450-500 reps a month

What I'm suggesting is that you do the majority of your work without a comp style bench arch to develop your base strength more. I only ever crank my arch up when I'm doing my heavier triples to singles. Most volume is done with just a light arch for stability.

I drive back with my legs as I make the arch and keep driving back to maintain tension e.g.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPw5biBsZk]125kg touch and go bench press - YouTube[/ame]

I also find it helps to vibrate my left arm a lot during lock out.

>get criticized for having shitty bench
>seek advice of top strength coach in australia
>travel across country to get in a few sessions with him
>spend the majority of my time increasing all aspects of my bench, starts moving up considerably
>get told I should go back to the way I was training before

Fuck everything

I drive back with my legs as I make the arch and keep driving back to maintain tension e.g.

125kg touch and go bench press - YouTube

I also find it helps to vibrate my left arm a lot during lock out.

hahaha that's epic dude
I'll give pushing back with my feet a go, I was waiting until I was set before doing it
Any tips on getting my feet further back? I just can't get them back further and will eventually want flat feet if I am to bench in IPF

>get criticized for having shitty bench
>seek advice of top strength coach in australia
>travel across country to get in a few sessions with him
>spend the majority of my time increasing all aspects of my bench, starts moving up considerably
>get told I should go back to the way I was training before

Fuck everything

You overcomplicate everything.

Just bench and do assistance and your bench will go up.

Last edited by a moderator: