• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
0ni if I remember I will upload and post the bench setup I learnt off Minh. Its like doing limbo on a bench. Epic arch. Epic discomfort.

Thank you, I do appreciate it.
I kinda know the technique involved but I just find it impossibru to get into position

In any case, a lack of progress is most surely not due to his technique....

I've only recently improved on technique and U have noticed improvement (improvement after improving form not a before/after of technique so legit strengthening)
Here is a video from before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXI4DBtU1M]2nd attempt bench - 75kg - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, I'll be deloading to test maxes in 4 weeks and I predict good results

Form does definitely help you engage the most muscle and lift most efficiently and it's a complex thing. For strength though what's helped me has been upping my volume (I used to do too many triples/doubles/singles in my programming). I like most of my workouts to be 5x5 @ 80% of my 1rm.

If your 1rm is 75kg try 5 sets of 5 of 60kg, with 4-6 minute rests. I'd also try working up to: 4x70kg, 3x72.5kg, 2x77.5kg, 5 sets of each, 6-7 sets of the heavier ones, over the next 1-2 months. This is what I do anyway. Always leaves me sore and has been adding 1kg to my bench per week.

The biggest thing I got out of technique was less shoulder pain... In fact none, now (big change).

Last edited:
Form does definitely help you engage the most muscle and lift most efficiently and it's a complex thing. For strength though what's helped me has been upping my volume (I used to do too many triples/doubles/singles in my programming). I like most of my workouts to be 5x5 @ 80% of my 1rm.

If your 1rm is 75kg try 5 sets of 5 of 60kg, with 4-6 minute rests. I'd also try working up to: 4x70kg, 3x72.5kg, 2x77.5kg, 5 sets of each, 6-7 sets of the heavier ones, over the next 1-2 months. This is what I do anyway. Always leaves me sore and has been adding 1kg to my bench per week.

Pretty much exactly my philosophy on strength training! Increasing volume at 70-80%
Here is the cycle I am on at the moment if you want to look at it:
EXCEL  Sheiko_all_programs
It's number 39 in any of those spreadsheets. It pretty much contains everything you've said lol.

The weights it gives me for #39 when I plug in my max look too light :p

e.g. week 1 tells me:
5 reps of 63kg (joke)
2 sets of 4 reps of 73kg (joke)
2 sets of 3 reps of 88kg (warm up)
5 sets of 3 reps of 94kg (slightly difficult)

Next week I intend to try 5x5 @ 100kg, 80% of 125kg far scarier to me :p

Last edited:
Sheiko does look light on paper, and you're a more advanced lifter than I
You'd be more suited to number 30

Looks like loads of volume at sub-maximal weights. I would try something that pushed me more each set if I were you.

I will definitely give Smolov and Sheiko a try but only once I've stalled with simple sets of 5s, 3s, 2s and singles (one rep scheme per week). Otherwise when I hit a bench plateau in a years time at 180kg (ahem) what will I have to throw at my muscles? :p

I've had some good trainers give me this same advice too. And by their standards advanced and me should never come into the same sentence. I've been training for 6-8 months (I forget now)

Boy, what a thread derail....

Whatever you're doing now obviously works for you, I'd continue doing it as long as it's working
Sheiko doesn't have you max out at all until you're a more advanced lifter and it obviously works, but so does 5x5, westside, smolov, bulgarian method, RPT and a million other things. It's just what I subscribe to

Fucking hell Oni you look tiny in that video. I really don't mean to be offensive there either. I'm amazed that the person I see in that video can deadlift 190kg. How about you try and build some muscle! Follow a bench program with lots of assistance and eat your way to at least 75kg and then see where your bench is.

Fucking hell Oni you look tiny in that video. I really don't mean to be offensive there either. I'm amazed that the person I see in that video can deadlift 190kg. How about you try and build some muscle! Follow a bench program with lots of assistance and eat your way to at least 75kg and then see where your bench is.
I'm pretty sure everyone on the internet has told oni to build more muscle at least once.

My two comp bench setups including the Minh Special.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuG9gnMy8L0]Bench Arch - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe he's maintaining his weight so he can continue to compete in a lower weight class? His lifts are pretty strong for the 65 class!