• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New rubber weights smell

Jimmy123

Hi everyone,

Been reading for a while and just bought and assembled some equipment for home including a bunch of rubber weights.

Thing is I'm in my spare room and the weights reek, they also seem to have a coating of oil on them, I presume to stop rust.

My question is should I rub the oil off, should I use a chemical or something, just put them outside or just wait and it will evaporate or something??

Thanks for any answers.

Put them outside or a well-aired room. The smell eventually goes.

If they are in a small room, watch out, the smell gets in the walls!

wipe them over with a rag to remove any oily residue. then leave them in a well ventilated environment as suggested. never use a chemical for that sort of thing

Ok great, thanks.

Last thing - where can you buy a decent mirror? I checked Bunnings and big w but no good, only tiny ones!

You can stick them under a layer or two of sand, and that usually does the trick.

For some reason that tends to eke out whatever makes them stink. Just make sure you wipe the oil off first, or you'll be finding sand everywhere for the rest of your days.

Put them in a small room over night. Then sit in that room for a few hours.

May as well get all you can form them.

yeah over time it dissipates but even with a ventilated room if it's small it lingers around a bit..wipe 'em down they should be sweet after a while