• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Why would you choose squats for calves and deads for biceps?

Mickdog, please read the original post again and I'll afford you the chance to edit your post.

The calves are very important in the squat but deadlifts for biceps is full retard

Well, I'm just a n00b :D but I'll play along, and post what seems to work best for me, so far...

Legs: Low bar squat, if I have to pick just one for quads *and* hams, etc.
Chest: Dumbbell bench, without a doubt. But (flat) barbell is second best.
Back: Just one? Jesus. Um... barbell rows.
Calves: I don't bother :p, but I guess standing calf raises would be best...
Shoulders: BTN press or just plain old overhead press. Or both ;).
Biceps: Barbell curl.
Triceps: Dips.
Traps: Conventional deadlift (because I had to pick just one for "back".)
Forearms: Wrist roller, actually. :eek: Hey, like I said, seems to work for me.
Abs: Situps, on a decline bench, with weight.

Most of that stuff, I still do (plus some). The rest, I've tried for a while at least.

If you had to pick one weight training exercise per muscle group, what would you pick?

Legs
Chest
Back
Calves
Shoulders
Biceps
Triceps
Traps
Forearms
Abs

I'll just start with legs for now. I would never pick squats for legs. I say that seeing that this thread was posted in the bodybuilding section, indicating we're discussing muscle hypertrophy here and not something else. OK, I told you what I would not pick, now let me tell you what I would willingly and gladly pick for some incredibly muscular legs: leg press. If anyone's interested, we can discuss the reason behind my placing the leg press above the squats.

Before I delve right into this, you need to ask yourself one fundamental question, and that is: why am I squatting, or why do people perform the squat and do I need to, i.e. do I fall into that category that necessitate I perform the squat. I can think of two (maybe three) catogaries and three only.

1. The powerlifter (and he only needs the back and not the front squat)

2. The Olympic weightlifter (and he only needs the front and not the back squat)

3. The world's strongest man sport (he may need both).

The bodybuilder, and someone who's main goal is to get the most leg muscles for his exerted effort? I don't believe so. Why do I say that? But first let me make it crystal clear here, I'm not against squat if you choose them or believe they are superior to all other leg exercises, that is your prerogative and you're entitled to it. For me, and if I was to recommend one exercise and one exercise only to build leg muscles, it would have to be the leg press.

From a mechanical point of view, not everyone is well built/designed to squat with a load that is either heavy enough, or would exert enough metabolic stress onto the legs as to make it an ideal exercise to put above the leg press for muscular hypertrophy.

How about people like myself, who seem to be built for such an exercise? Even then, I am locked into one set line of power generation, my own. By that I mean my leg stance is fixed in a place where I feel most comfortable and powerful. That in itself is a major drawback as far as exercise versatility is concerned. Where I can position my feet onto the leg press plate in so many different positions, allowing for a greater coverage of my leg muscles, I (even with my better mechanical advantage in the squat) can not replicate such stances whilst squatting.

Someone might argue that one can "learn" to squat in such a different manner (say with feet close when wide is your "zone"), still that doesn't solve the problem, because after all, muscle hypertrophy when all is said and done, is about progressive overload. To the mechanically ungifted, the squat is not going to cut it. To the one who "learns" how to squat using different stance, albeit feeling unnatural whilst doing so, would be limited by his cardio-respiratory system giving in way before proper muscle tension is applied onto what he's intending to build in the first place; his legs.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but these were some quick ones off the top of my head.

Last edited: