• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tonight, world record freefall from the edge of space

But once you hit a certain point, you fall at the same speed all the way down.

..... you fall faster in thinner atmosphere, and then decelerate as you hit thicker air, Terminal velocity depends on altitude... but near the end of his freefall, he would have been at a similar speed to kettinger. He definitely covered a larger distance in freefall than kettinger.

..... you fall faster in thinner atmosphere, and then decelerate as you hit thicker air, Terminal velocity depends on altitude... but near the end of his freefall, he would have been at a similar speed to kettinger. He definitely covered a larger distance in freefall than kettinger.

Either you've confused me now, or I've gone and confused myself :p

I thought once he hit the trophosphere his speed would level out until he was intentionally slowing down, in preparation for opening his parachute.

He opened the chute early because his viser iced over & he couldn't see anything. If you watch the footage, he is saying that all the way down, but they couldn't understand him. His viser had issues on the way up, it wasn't heating properly & in his after-jump interview he said he almost aborted the mission because of it. He's a brave man thats for sure.

Also, at his fastest, as he broke the speed of sound, he was traveling at almost twice the speed Kittenger did in 1960, but as he hit thicker air he began to slow down again (relevent to the speed of Kittenger back in 1960)

He failed to break the longest freefall record by a matter of seconds, because he had to pull the chute, he couldn't see anything, which must have been terrifying for him.

I <3 Felix. Imma gonna get me a shirt with that on it lol

Best vid I've seen of it on youtube to date, when he's going through the final checks & sitting in that window with his legs dangling out & you can see the curvature of the earth, urgh it makes me feel faint lol

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1DhcQg0Os]YouTube - Felix Jumps At 128k feet! Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space[/ame]

Yep, they would have bought the capsule down. The balloon had weights on the bottom, they let a few go though to make his ascent faster, so I don't know how they would have done it on a technical level.

But of course there has to be a way to get him down, what if his spacesuit had torn? Or was malfunctioning? Or something occurred that would ensure he'd die if he jumped? There had to have been a way for them to return him to a lower altitude so he could at least jump safely.

Theres even a part in the final checks where they ask him to bring the seat back & sit forward so they could check that his chute hadn't prematurely deployed :eek: lolol

I literally LOL'd when they told him his chute was ok, visibly looking at it IS NOT ENOUGH haha but he has been skydiving since he was 16 so I guess he wasn't worried lol.

That was the precise moment I clapped my hand over my mouth :eek: fckn lol

'Chute has not deployed, I repeat, chute looks ok' dafuq?!

And then when he stood up & detatched the helmet tube & Kittenger said 'There ya go, our guardian angel is looking after you' & Felix was saying how small he was & what a long way up it was & finally 'I'm going home now'

And then just steps off....just like that! :eek:

My hand was still over my mouth, pretty sure I was holding my breath & for some reason I got tears in my eyes? lol

Amazing bravery. No way in hell there's enough love or money on all of the planets combined to make me do that lol

He's famous now, funny he's been this daredevil for so long & I've really only heard of him now. Saw his story on all of the American & UK shows though & he's top trending topic on talkback & social media. He be famous, for plumetting to earth lol

That was the precise moment I clapped my hand over my mouth :eek: fckn lol

'Chute has not deployed, I repeat, chute looks ok' dafuq?!

And then when he stood up & detatched the helmet tube & Kittenger said 'There ya go, our guardian angel is looking after you' & Felix was saying how small he was & what a long way up it was & finally 'I'm going home now'

And then just steps off....just like that! :eek:

My hand was still over my mouth, pretty sure I was holding my breath & for some reason I got tears in my eyes? lol

Amazing bravery. No way in hell there's enough love or money on all of the planets combined to make me do that lol

He's famous now, funny he's been this daredevil for so long & I've really only heard of him now. Saw his story on all of the American & UK shows though & he's top trending topic on talkback & social media. He be famous, for plumetting to earth lol

Guarantee you'd jump for your daughter lol. Yeh the vid posted a couple pages back of his top 5 stunts is quite impressive and quite illegal at the same time, now he is going to be able to go what ever the hell he wants lol.

found this, helmet cam during the jump, gives you a bit of an idea what it was like for him when he started spinning/tumbling.......

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=3065fe960dab" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd have had a heart attack and died. Lol.

I mean, I know as an astronaut you undergo these tests to make sure you can cope with this stuff, physically, but mentally how on EARTH do you prepare for that?

Super dude.