• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

martz

So basically I'm new to bodybuilding and just wondering what the general consensus is with the EZ Curl bar, is it for pussies? If so then I won't get one and stick with the barbell :)

At my local gym my trainer made me use a thick foamy thing on my upper back for squatting, but after i read that it's for pussies i immediately stopped using it and am squatting fine without it and no pain after I got used to it.

Some people find barbell curls to be hard on the wrist and/or forearm and the hand positioning on an ez curl bar sometimes alleviates this. If you don't have a problem with barbell then it is fine to stick with that

Any other advantages to ez curl?

No curl bars do have a use. Curling decent weights with a straight bar is very hard on the wrists unless you have quite a wide grip. They are also awesome for close grip bench for the same reason. There is no point damaging your wrists just to be a hard bastard.

Yeah what bigd said, ez bar is fine if you have specific problems which result from using a straight bar, don't think it the same as using the pad for sqatting though...

Curling on an straight bar rapes my elbows. Ez bar is the goods.

Wouldn't even consider skulls with the 7ft oly bar.

With my piss-poor flexibility and constant tricep tendonitis I can only use an ez bar for bis and tris. Man up as much as you can for the big lifts as they deliver the most gains but try not to overthink assistance work. That's why its only assistance work.

sounds all good, do you guys use the short or long one? I've never used one before and have nfi what to get as to what's best for me. I'm buying from ABC.

My thoughts on the curl is that you don't need much, you don't need to do set upon set.

Placing the hand at the angle that the ez curl bar creates and over doing the exercise is going to ruin your elbow, hello arthritis.

Sets of two done with very heavy weight on a standard bar is all is needed for most.
IMO

Personally I like a wider bar in my hands (cooer missus) and prefer the workout in my wrists of the oly during curls or crushers.

I can totally see how bad wrists could ruin your day on it though.

So basically I'm new to bodybuilding and just wondering what the general consensus is with the EZ Curl bar, is it for pussies? If so then I won't get one and stick with the barbell :)

At my local gym my trainer made me use a thick foamy thing on my upper back for squatting, but after i read that it's for pussies i immediately stopped using it and am squatting fine without it and no pain after I got used to it.

EZ Curl Bar was designed to make curling easier on the wrists. You will activate more major bicep work with a straight bar using a narrow grip. When you use the ez bar you are activating your brachialis muscle which lies underneath the biceps, so the biceps get less work with the ez bar.

I used to squat with a rubber foam thing as well, nowadays i don't go near it cause i want to feel the bar on my back and my back muscles are big so the bar doesn't hurt at all, sits there and i can't feel a thing.

Some people find barbell curls to be hard on the wrist and/or forearm and the hand positioning on an ez curl bar sometimes alleviates this. If you don't have a problem with barbell then it is fine to stick with that

Any other advantages to ez curl?

EZ Bar can be used for Skull Crushers, works great for this exercise.