• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Good news mate, glad to hear you're pain free.

Gotta love hospital food - not the kind of servings for adding lean muscle mass, or adding anything for that matter.

Glad everything went well.

Funny how, when you're just about to be put under, you're panicking like a mofo about waivers you've just signed... soon as you wake up, everything's gravy and completely worth it, lol.

Hope you're up and at 'em again soon.

Pulled up sore and sorry. Had a rotten nights sleep last night back at home. But good to be out of hospital.
They took a lot of the disc out between L5 and S1, which was pretty damaged.
No sciatic pain which is unreal, but the cut and where they drilled into my back is a little tender. Just walking for now then can start swimming in two weeks...
Thanks again for all the well wishes

Hey mate can you give us a a bit of background on the injury and how bad it was to warrant surgery?

Hey mate can you give us a a bit of background on the injury and how bad it was to warrant surgery?

Rugby and judo for twenty odd years plus all the heavy lifting. My back was a mess. Then the two herniated discs which produced floating fragments which put pressure on nerves. That left me on the floor writhing with pain. Ambo called, doctors, MRI scans and a surgeon saying "oh fuck" when looking at my scans.
If I didn't have surgery, the pain going down my legs wouldn't have got any better. I couldn't drive, put my own shoes on or sit down for more than 5 mins without pain down my legs...
I needed it sorted! I am a trade and work on my feet, haven't worked in 4 weeks. Kind of hard when we have a mortgage and kids etc! Will be back at work now in two weeks, light duties I suppose!
Plus I found out afterwards, but don't remember, I woke up in the operation!! Ha!

Last edited:
I bet the surgeon and the anesthetist near shit themselves.

The anesthetist might have got a stern taking to about that - I think that's a big/bad 'woopsie'.

Haha yeh, they didn't tell me, I read it in the notes of my folder!! Ha! Thank fuck I don't remember that!!

Rugby and judo for twenty odd years plus all the heavy lifting. My back was a mess. Then the two herniated discs which produced floating fragments which put pressure on nerves. That left me on the floor writhing with pain. Ambo called, doctors, MRI scans and a surgeon saying "oh fuck" when looking at my scans.
If I didn't have surgery, the pain going down my legs wouldn't have got any better. I couldn't drive, put my own shoes on or sit down for more than 5 mins without pain down my legs...
I needed it sorted! I am a trade and work on my feet, haven't worked in 4 weeks. Kind of hard when we have a mortgage and kids etc! Will be back at work now in two weeks, light duties I suppose!
Plus I found out afterwards, but don't remember, I woke up in the operation!! Ha!

Sounds identical to me except mine was L4 L5

Should be able to remain lean easily enough with just diet. Conditioning will drop off a fair bit due to lack of intense conditioning, but will bounce back quick enough once you get the green light to push it. If you start swimming in a couple of weeks, that should help heaps.

Once I was able to walk several Km with relative ease, I then focused more on power walking all the hills I could find. It helped keep the heart rate up without increase in physical load or stress to the body/back. Walking in flat soft sand is even better for sustained heart rate.

What are your thoughts so far, with regards to maintaining conditioning, based on how your recovery is progressing so far?

Ok cool mate.
So far, to be honest, I'm shitting myself. I always eat healthy, but I love being fit as well. Walking will bore me!! Haha. I know I have to take my time and I will.
No more ice cream desserts, they were my reward for training twice a day most days!!!
Seeing my GP to check the wound this Friday!

Good luck mate, ease in to it.
I agree, walking bores me shitless too, crank up some music and give it a crack.
Would walking, fast walking stairs and shit be too much too soon? Could be a half decent way to keep some intensity up.

Woke up with decent sciatic pain this morning. I know it's only 5 days post op, but a touch worried.

Good luck mate, ease in to it.
I agree, walking bores me shitless too, crank up some music and give it a crack.
Would walking, fast walking stairs and shit be too much too soon? Could be a half decent way to keep some intensity up.

I've been listening to podcasts so far, and around maroubra there's a few hills. Not sure on stairs yet!!

Is sciatic pain for a short time normal after an op like this taurus? Did the Doc say anything about that? Or that you should anticipate that in the short term?

It could be very normal, especially given you had terrible sciatic pain prior to the op? So don't panic just yet.

I've been listening to podcasts so far, and around maroubra there's a few hills. Not sure on stairs yet!!

If its allowed... Head on down to Maroubra beach... Walk laps in the soft sand...

From memory that beach is around 1.25klms long when you walk from one end to the other up in the dry sand....

Good luck... Hope you get well soon...

Post op sciatic pain is normal as the nerve is still recovering and everything around is is still mildy inflamed - but it should only be intermittent mild pain, not constant. It can be made worse if you've been pushing it too hard but by no means should the pain be anything like it was before the op.

I know it'll be hard, but you really need to forget about maintaining your fitness in the short term and focus on getting back to full strength in the long term. It can unravel pretty quickly if you aren't careful and going back to square-one so soon just isn't worth it. Maybe look at it as a well deserved break...

Enjoy the time off while you can- before long you'll be back at work and wishing for a holiday HAHA!!!

If its allowed... Head on down to Maroubra beach... Walk laps in the soft sand...

From memory that beach is around 1.25klms long when you walk from one end to the other up in the dry sand....

Good luck... Hope you get well soon...

Thanks mate. Yeh i live in maroubra, haven't walked in sand yet!! Seeing my GP Friday, will confirm then!
Cheers mate