• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Paying someone for exercise/diet program

What about max 12 week challenge or Michelle bridges 12 challenge? They offer similar consultation to the based in the us (pimpin iron mate)

Kal, everyone is really different. And our bodies respond differently to foods & exercise.

With your stats, we're looking at a basic maintenance cal level of 1600-1700 cals a day. So if it was textbook. 1500 cals a day should see you dropping weight, roughly between 0.5-1kg per week.

It sounds like you've had 'some' fat loss over the 7 weeks but I do understand the need & desire to be impatient for tangible results.

If you're also hoping to gain LBM whilst cutting fat, thats a harder process, as any 'loss' is always comprised of fluid/muscle/fat.

To retain as much muscle as you can & hopefully gain LBM, I would raise my protein intake quite drastically & reduce refined carbs during this process.

Carb 20 / Fat 30 / Protein 50

I would up your cal intake to 1600-1700 most days & have a 'carb up re-feed' one meal over the weekend, not one whole day. Choose your poison, burger/pizza/pasta/fries - whatever & eat normally otherwise.

For cardio bang for your buck, boxing, rowing intervals, hill sprints or x-trainer intervals are your best friends.

Losing fat, ultimately is about what you stick in your mouth, exercise alone will do fuck all if you're not eating right. But hit the right balance of Fats/Carbs/Proteins for your body within the right calorie bracket and your body will become a fat burning machine. Whatever program you do, is entirely up to you. They all work, if you're doing them right.

Don't get stuck on cals. If you're training every day of the week, your body by virtue of burning energy, requires more energy to function at maintenance level. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside & feed the body to actually lose the fat?

I was stuck on cals consumed for ages, until I realised I was working out like a bitch on fire, I raised the cal intake by almost 300 a day & I'm still losing weight. I don't even count cals anymore. I don't need to. I just adjust as my body does.

But the more active you are, the more fuel your body will need. Even when you're in fat loss mode.

Up the protein. Reduce refined carbs, decide on a weights program with HIIT specific to your goals on your 'off weights days' & up the cals. Take body measurements. Play around with the carbs/fat/protein balance & give it 4 weeks.

If you haven't lost anything after diligently doing this for 4 weeks, I'll pay your first fckn month of that program myself! lol

Fat loss should be around 0.5-1kg weekly. But bare in mind you're also hoping to retain & even add LBM, so forget the scales, take measurements. Your clothes will tell the story on their own.

Save your money, for one more month & just see what you're capable of doing with some true dedication & commitment. Nothing is magic, you gotta work for it no matter which avenue you take. But I do believe you can do it by spending that $250 a month on more food, rather than a faceless online coach. Just give it a go & see?

Regardless, good luck :)

I know there are going to be some guys that come on here and go do starting strength youre weak you need to get strong. I understand the importance of strength and no matter what I do I will get stronger and I know there is a need for strength. However I have done starting strength before and I looked pretty much the same as when I started it and I know someone is going to say well you didnt do it right your lifts were shit etc etc. My lifts werent that great but they werent that shit either, I know guys that are MUCH bigger than I ever was that were MUCH weaker than I was.

Key point. You'll still get people telling you to do a starting strength type program, but listen here. I am bigger than 90% of the guys at the gym (at the expense of sounding arrogant). Some of them DL 250kg+. Some of them in a t-shirt, looked like they've never lifted a weight.

It's all about what you're after. If you're after strength, that's fantastic, train for it. But don't spout your dogma on anyone else. If you're training for mass, you'll tailor the program for mass.

Now, let me clear some things up. They're not mutually exclusive. If you lift heavy weights, you will naturally get bigger. Strength training typically involved big numbers, more rest. By the time some of the guys in the gym have finished their 4 sets of 5 @ 150kg bench press I am onto my third exercise and nearly done with it (bench 110kg 4 sets of 10, 10kg weighted pullups 4 sets of 12, dips with 30kg on my waist - 4 sets of 10). You do the math and crunch the numbers.

I am not pushing as much weight as these guys per exercise, but check out my volume, time under tension et. al.

I'd not necessarily pay anyone just yet. Test your body. See what you respond to. Eat well. Train with vigor. Don't rest longer than 90 seconds between sets, preferably ~60 works well. If you're coming off injury, get your body right. This is all advice which may or may not work for you. I'd suggest you trial and error it. You can be told x and y, but your body might be z.

Let's not kid around - you still need to push around serious weight and be dedicated.

I continue to overhear the squats and milk brigade at the gym doing 5x5 programs. Great numbers, I tip my hat to them. I actually train strength throughout the year, as a personal goal in between my other programs. It is admirable, and hard work building up those numbers, let's not take anything away from that.

But these guys sit at 18% or more bodyfat with a gut and a bit of thickness/width and try give advice to aspiring bodybuilders and younger kids. Some of it right, some of it personal agenda and bias.

So I can totally attest to where you're coming from and why you feel somewhat apprehensive. You're worried people here are going to tell you squats and milk. I won't. However, squats, deads, presses, cleans, rows, chins & dips should be part of your routine irrespective of what your goals - all you need to do is alter a few variables and see how you go. By what you've said, the strength gig did not work for you and your goals, so time to change it up perhaps.

Let me just clarify that there are some powerlifters and strong men with incredible physiques. There's the nutrition and genetic component as well, the latter which you work with as best you can.

It took me a long fckn time to tap that out on my godamn phone too :(

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure there is some good info in that post but 99% the forum will just scroll straight past it cause it is so long.

I guess its mainly because I personally cant actually see any change, Im also looking at it over the 7 weeks since Ive been back training.

This is your problem you want results in weeks when really you need to be thinking much more long term. Think in years.

If you are progressing in your training over time you will be growing muscle. If you want to get lean look at diet.

If bodybuilding/working out is something that interests you and have a passion for, then i say get a coach/trainer. Ive been training for 3 years, in that time ive had a few injuries and had stints off from training and felt i wasnt getting anywhere > Bodybuilding/fitness is something i want to become *good at* i badly want a pysique people envy and i dont want to waste anymore time gambling on programs that may or may not work, thats why i invested in a coach. 1500 dollars deposit straight up and then 100 a month after that.............. people will think its a waste of money and not worth it, but i believe it is money well spent.

Im not the richest person, probly make 500-600 a week...... so 100 a month isnt all that bad, considering people spend few hundred dollars a month on shitty supplements that do fuck all for them, when they could be using that money on a very very good coach like i did............. if you have the money then go for it mate (depending on who the coach is).

He takes the guess work out of everything, and all i have to do is follow the plans he has in place, and i know in a few years time if i stick to the plans he has in place for me, i will achieve my goals.

So basically if bodybuilding/training is something ur passionate about and serious about getting into, then a high quality coach is definately worth 100-200 a month, but if u just do it as a hobby and cant take shit like diet and training serious then its not worth it.

Last edited:
Key point. You'll still get people telling you to do a starting strength type program, but listen here. I am bigger than 90% of the guys at the gym (at the expense of sounding arrogant). Some of them DL 250kg+. Some of them in a t-shirt, looked like they've never lifted a weight.

It's all about what you're after. If you're after strength, that's fantastic, train for it. But don't spout your dogma on anyone else. If you're training for mass, you'll tailor the program for mass.

Now, let me clear some things up. They're not mutually exclusive. If you lift heavy weights, you will naturally get bigger. Strength training typically involved big numbers, more rest. By the time some of the guys in the gym have finished their 4 sets of 5 @ 150kg bench press I am onto my third exercise and nearly done with it (bench 110kg 4 sets of 10, 10kg weighted pullups 4 sets of 12, dips with 30kg on my waist - 4 sets of 10). You do the math and crunch the numbers.

I am not pushing as much weight as these guys per exercise, but check out my volume, time under tension et. al.

I'd not necessarily pay anyone just yet. Test your body. See what you respond to. Eat well. Train with vigor. Don't rest longer than 90 seconds between sets, preferably ~60 works well. If you're coming off injury, get your body right. This is all advice which may or may not work for you. I'd suggest you trial and error it. You can be told x and y, but your body might be z.

Let's not kid around - you still need to push around serious weight and be dedicated.

I continue to overhear the squats and milk brigade at the gym doing 5x5 programs. Great numbers, I tip my hat to them. I actually train strength throughout the year, as a personal goal in between my other programs. It is admirable, and hard work building up those numbers, let's not take anything away from that.

But these guys sit at 18% or more bodyfat with a gut and a bit of thickness/width and try give advice to aspiring bodybuilders and younger kids. Some of it right, some of it personal agenda and bias.

So I can totally attest to where you're coming from and why you feel somewhat apprehensive. You're worried people here are going to tell you squats and milk. I won't. However, squats, deads, presses, cleans, rows, chins & dips should be part of your routine irrespective of what your goals - all you need to do is alter a few variables and see how you go. By what you've said, the strength gig did not work for you and your goals, so time to change it up perhaps.

Let me just clarify that there are some powerlifters and strong men with incredible physiques. There's the nutrition and genetic component as well, the latter which you work with as best you can.

Thanks, yeah I was concerned I was going to get the ss and milk deal but its actually been good.

I will always squat,dead, press etc, favourite exercises. I guess I could just try upping the volume from what Im currently doing.

This is your problem you want results in weeks when really you need to be thinking much more long term. Think in years.

If you are progressing in your training over time you will be growing muscle. If you want to get lean look at diet.

You might be partly right, I wasnt expecting to get ripped or anything in 7 weeks, I was expecting more but youre probably right to some extent about my level of patience.

Wow $1500 straight up plus $100 per month:eek:you handed over that cash and you only earn $500-600 per week.....I honestly can't get my head around that.

I am definitely in the wrong business. How did you find this guy??? What makes you think he is giving you the program that will work for you???

I am seriously thinking of coaching some people now, and giving away work to train and sit on the beach. Just need to find out how I can find suckers....em...errrr I mean clients that will hand me their money.

A quote comes to mind here 'a fool and his money are easily parted'

Last edited:
I dont know progress I can see?

Just as an aside note, I hate how tall you are.

Looks change slowly due to weight loss and very slowly due to muscle gain. 7 weeks is a ridiculously short time frame for visual muscle gain...

I think you are not being patient, but more importantly, you're not being realistic with your time frame and expectations, so you're getting depressed and this is dissuading you from training. As such you won't see any results-IF you let it get the better of you.

Weigh yourself every day to monitor your weight loss. If you see progress week by week stick to what you're doing. Don't expect more than 1kg/week of loss. 0.5kg/week is fine. There are other threads on weight loss and how to do this - basically just count calories, eat below what you require, you WILL lose weight, it's impossible not to. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day, look for a gradual trend downwards, don't worry about going up and down day to day.

For muscle gain just try to get 1 more rep or lift a little bit more weight for the same number of reps every session.... You should focus on being stronger than you were 1 month ago. There are training programs on here, I'd recommend hitting the same compound movement twice to three times a week (three max), and focus on the big exercises. Rep range determines whether you're a 'bodybuilder' or 'power lifter', but the aim is the same, get stronger, by lifting more weight or doing more reps. Once you are noticeably stronger you will be bigger.....

Starting strength btw - isn't that a 1 compound movement per week deal? I would not do that, seems far too infrequent for a beginner, but everyone's different.

It's a long journey... I lost 55kg in 1 year, and then improved my strength from a 60kg bench to 120kg (hopefully 130kg+ by 2013) since April. My goals are all long term... 150kg bench by this time next year... And to do that I need to do 122.5kg first... Small steps, small goals, gradual progress.

Last edited:
Kal, everyone is really different. And our bodies respond differently to foods & exercise.

With your stats, we're looking at a basic maintenance cal level of 1600-1700 cals a day. So if it was textbook. 1500 cals a day should see you dropping weight, roughly between 0.5-1kg per week.

It sounds like you've had 'some' fat loss over the 7 weeks but I do understand the need & desire to be impatient for tangible results.

If you're also hoping to gain LBM whilst cutting fat, thats a harder process, as any 'loss' is always comprised of fluid/muscle/fat.

To retain as much muscle as you can & hopefully gain LBM, I would raise my protein intake quite drastically & reduce refined carbs during this process.

Carb 20 / Fat 30 / Protein 50

I would up your cal intake to 1600-1700 most days & have a 'carb up re-feed' one meal over the weekend, not one whole day. Choose your poison, burger/pizza/pasta/fries - whatever & eat normally otherwise.

For cardio bang for your buck, boxing, rowing intervals, hill sprints or x-trainer intervals are your best friends.

Losing fat, ultimately is about what you stick in your mouth, exercise alone will do fuck all if you're not eating right. But hit the right balance of Fats/Carbs/Proteins for your body within the right calorie bracket and your body will become a fat burning machine. Whatever program you do, is entirely up to you. They all work, if you're doing them right.

Don't get stuck on cals. If you're training every day of the week, your body by virtue of burning energy, requires more energy to function at maintenance level. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside & feed the body to actually lose the fat?

I was stuck on cals consumed for ages, until I realised I was working out like a bitch on fire, I raised the cal intake by almost 300 a day & I'm still losing weight. I don't even count cals anymore. I don't need to. I just adjust as my body does.

But the more active you are, the more fuel your body will need. Even when you're in fat loss mode.

Up the protein. Reduce refined carbs, decide on a weights program with HIIT specific to your goals on your 'off weights days' & up the cals. Take body measurements. Play around with the carbs/fat/protein balance & give it 4 weeks.

If you haven't lost anything after diligently doing this for 4 weeks, I'll pay your first fckn month of that program myself! lol

Fat loss should be around 0.5-1kg weekly. But bare in mind you're also hoping to retain & even add LBM, so forget the scales, take measurements. Your clothes will tell the story on their own.

Save your money, for one more month & just see what you're capable of doing with some true dedication & commitment. Nothing is magic, you gotta work for it no matter which avenue you take. But I do believe you can do it by spending that $250 a month on more food, rather than a faceless online coach. Just give it a go & see?

Regardless, good luck :)

It was a long post :p appreciated though.

Close to what Im doing, no junk during the week, pretty low carb and I carb up one night a week which is the 2000 cal night.

It was a long post :p appreciated though.

Close to what Im doing, no junk during the week, pretty low carb and I carb up one night a week which is the 2000 cal night.

No junk during the week but undo your progress on the weekends? Hmm.... Get strict.

Wow $1500 straight up plus $100 per month:eek:you handed over that cash and you only earn $500-600 per week.....I honestly can't get my head around that.

I am definitely in the wrong business. How did you find this guy??? What makes you think he is giving you the program that will work for you???

I am seriously thinking of coaching some people now, and giving away work to train and sit on the beach. Just need to find out how I can find suckers....em...errrr I mean clients that will hand me their money.

A quote comes to mind here 'a fool and his money are easily parted'

Well mate he was reccomended by a very good mate of mine whos brother went from a 60kg scrawny bloke to 90k ripped and ripped to the shithouse in 3 years, so i said ok ill check it out. Looked at the guys website, noticed he had trained 1000s of people achieve there dreams, he has his own forums where he gives advice out. Ontop of that he has his own youtube channel explaining how to do a ton of exercises/tons of bodybuilding knowledge >and has shitloads of written articles all over bodybuilding websites like the big ones T-nation and bodybuilding.com. So yer i think hes the real deal trainer................... Unless you have all that shit i dont think anyone is gonna take you serious as a online trainer.

p.s You cant get your head around, why i would spend 1/20 of what i am making a month to go towards something i am very passionate about? when people spend 100s a month on supplements, or alcos spending 100s a month on booze............ Surely ur not serious?

Last edited:
He is actually saving me money on food, i shop at aldis and my diet of scott consists of eggs,tuna,chicken, vegetables, rice,oats,patatoes and dead set i only spend 150 dollars a fortnight on food and the only supplements i take are whey protein isolate and creatine + res 100. which consts fuck all. Before scott was training me i was spending over 100 a week on food and i was still shopping at aldis.