• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pain in knees

Styon

Everytime after I leg press or squat a a half decent weight I have pains directly above my knees when walking.

What is causing this and how do I overcome it?

Apart from just toughening the fuck up and pushing through hahaha

Probably a form issue, post video of your squat.

Do you go beneath parallel? Do your knees track your toes? Is you weight NOT on your toes?

Good to note that you should learn to recognize & describe different types of pains. Depending on the type of pain, you should know when it's safe to push through it and when it's a form issue (like overactivation of the quads that'll typically go away once you've rested up) or another issue like an underlying injury (like tendonitis).

Aches/burns are generally a "tough it out" type pain (although tendonitis can present as a burning/pulling sensation). Anything that feels sharp or prolonged normally means you should stop for a while, even if it's after your workout.

In this case, if it's happening after leg presses & not just squats, I'd imagine it's an over-involvement of the quads (feet too low on the plate for the weight, poor squat form in general). Have someone reliable check your form, or post a video as has been suggested.

Try not to do anything ballistic for a while and see if it improves. This means not bouncing out of the bottom position and avoiding hyper flexion of the knee joint. Get a good magnesium supplement.

Try not to do anything ballistic for a while and see if it improves. This means not bouncing out of the bottom position and avoiding hyper flexion of the knee joint. Get a good magnesium supplement.

Gidday Von,

I notice you have mentioned magnesium a couple of times... Is it for the joints or some other reason?

Cheers...

Most likely it's your form when you do it, my guess is that your knees go in instead of staying outside over your toes on the way up (and possibly down). Usually thanks to weak VM.

Gidday Von,

I notice you have mentioned magnesium a couple of times... Is it for the joints or some other reason?

Cheers...

I'm not going to pretend to understand the physiological reason nor consult the oracle of the worldwide web on this one. My physio put me onto it and I experience less DOMS and believe it has helped recovery from recent connective tissue injury. The brand I advertised is water soluble and pleasant to drink during training.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the physiological reason nor consult the oracle of the worldwide web on this one. My physio put me onto it and I experience less DOMS and believe it has helped recovery from recent connective tissue injury. The brand I advertised is water soluble and pleasant to drink during training.

Thanks bud...

Everytime after I leg press or squat a a half decent weight I have pains directly above my knees when walking.

What is causing this and how do I overcome it?

Apart from just toughening the fuck up and pushing through hahaha

hey Styon. i myself suffered a meniscus tear in april and had surgery in July, and have had all kinds of knee issues since.

i think its important to note that knee problems are caused by issues at the ankles/ or the hips.

if you're someone who sits at a desk for 8-10 hours a day, you've probably got some really tight hips and some weak glutes. first things first, stretch your hips out (mWOD has some good hip stretches) and do glute activation work (i.e. glute bridges, GHRS).

Basically, this imbalance in your hip is most likely causing your feet to be all out of whack which in turn puts your knees in a compromised position.

I myself, at the moment, have patella tracking in both of my knees (caused by weakness in my legs and shitty walking patterns post surgery).
tightness in my hip/ IT BAND is causing my patella to track outwards, which is causing all kindza grinding and weird sensations/pain in my knees.

i've been working really hard on rolling out my hips/ IT band, activating my VMO and other shit like that.. and my knees have been feeling much better. on the road to recovery indeed:)

hope this post helps you somehow. good luck