• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ideal form on a DeadLift for Hamstring development

Matt

I recently read Lyle McDonald's basic bulking program and in it he suggests the use of stiff-leg deadlifts for the development of hams. I've read that sldl can be quite bad for your back, so I've been doing romanian dl instead, but i only really feel it in my lower back and not my legs. can anyone suggest an "ideal" form for this so I can hit my legs better?
I also feel like I'm grip-strength-limited a lot of the time, any suggestions on how to improve this?
I usually do my dl in the squat rack (if nobody is around wanting to use it) starting at the top, then lowering to a support bar about 30cm off the floor, then back up.

I know there are many lover of the DL here, so I thought this would be a great place to ask :)

Tell me if you think this is good or bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQkOLWZ0fM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Todd Jewell - 495 lb. stiff-leg dead lift 11-12-09 - YouTube[/ame]

Learn to set (brace) your mid section especially your lower back and sldl should never hurt anyone.make sure u gettin a stretch in the hams

What Ben is trying to say, is SLDL'S are fantastic for your hammies and not damaging to your back at all, if like with any lift, you utilize the proper form and technique..

A lot of people try to put the weight up and down on the floor, and just keep their legs straight.. Unless you're super flexible you probably won't reach that far when doing them correctly.. I find it easiest to have a slight bend in the knee.. Aim to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible on the descent.. And it's about sticking your bum out to get the bar lower as opposed to bending at the hips to get the bar lower.. Like there's a ledge behind you that you're not sure exactly where it is so you stick your butt out to try find it?..

(wow, I feel sorry for those I coach with these explanations, hahaha).. Hope this makes some sort of sense?? :p

What Ben is trying to say, is SLDL'S are fantastic for your hammies and not damaging to your back at all, if like with any lift, you utilize the proper form and technique..

A lot of people try to put the weight up and down on the floor, and just keep their legs straight.. Unless you're super flexible you probably won't reach that far when doing them correctly.. I find it easiest to have a slight bend in the knee.. Aim to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible on the descent.. And it's about sticking your bum out to get the bar lower as opposed to bending at the hips to get the bar lower.. Like there's a ledge behind you that you're not sure exactly where it is so you stick your butt out to try find it?..

(wow, I feel sorry for those I coach with these explanations, hahaha).. Hope this makes some sort of sense?? :p

yep, also keep a slight bend and never lock out the knees totally, bum out.

Yeah, that's a much politer way of saying what I meant... :p

Looked fine to me.

I like to do them a bit different.

Start on the floor
Bar away from body
Slight bend to knees.
Tighten everything up
Pull bar up but keep knees with same slight bend
keep bar away from body until past the knees.
Do controlled touch and go reps.

May not be how others do them but this seems to work for me.

Looked fine to me.

I like to do them a bit different.

Start on the floor
Bar away from body
Slight bend to knees.
Tighten everything up
Pull bar up but keep knees with same slight bend
keep bar away from body until past the knees.
Do controlled touch and go reps.

May not be how others do them but this seems to work for me.

Precise as usual.

Where is the bar placed in your hand?

I also like powerbarbies description.

I don't know who that bloke is but I like the fact that throughout the movement he maintains the spines natural curvature, I prefer to pick up from the floor and re-set.

You'll notice the hip is a hinge, have a gander at this, hamstring - Google Search

The hamstring insert into the hip

Damn good exercise

Precise as usual.

Where is the bar placed in your hand?

I also like powerbarbies description.

Bar in my hand. More in my fingers than hand I suppose. I use straps for reps because i use hook grip and reps tend to shred my thumbs.

I like the other description as well. Bar close to the body and push your arse right back romanian deadlift style.

Both can work.

SLDLs are a great exercise. When you go back to normal deads it feels so much easier because you can put the quads into the start of the lift

cheers, this was pretty much the sort of info i was looking for. i guess they're only bad if done with incorrect form, but that's kinda true for most things.
i'll watch the vid a few more times then give them a go on my next leg day :D

The deadlift is a poor hamstrings exercise due to the knee extension involved. Because of this the hamstrings stop being the main movers and instead become a dynamic stabiliser - one side shortens while the other end lengthens. This is why you need to RDL/SLDL or even hamstring curls and is why extra hamstring work is incredibly important if all you really do is squat/deadlift

I also feel like I'm grip-strength-limited a lot of the time, any suggestions on how to improve this?

if you work in an office you should have an unlimited supply of these to use

9505208-bulldog-paper-clip.jpg

I agree if you are not competing just use straps. If you really want to build the grip just load the bar up in a power rack and do timed holds.

Last edited: