• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
i wonder why there is very few bodybuilders on here

Because there were never any here to begin with. BB'ers gravitate to sites full of other BB'ers. This site is pretty much made up of your basic gym rats and a few competitive PL'er now.

i wonder why there is very few bodybuilders on here

There isn't a lot of respect for bodybuilders and the way they train on this forum. Anytime anyone asks a genuine question about bodybuilding it gets shot down and mocked by those with a PL bias. And I'm not talking troll threads about mixing chicken and beef that probably deserve to be mocked.

Personally I respect both PL and BB'ers and the methods used. You got to respect the strength of a powerlifter and the hours of heavy lifting / training that went into... And the hours of training and careful dieting that goes into building a competitive physique for a BB comp should be equally respected in my opinion.

There isn't a lot of respect for bodybuilders and the way they train on this forum. Anytime anyone asks a genuine question about bodybuilding it gets shot down and mocked by those with a PL bias. And I'm not talking troll threads about mixing chicken and beef that probably deserve to be mocked.

Personally I respect both PL and BB'ers and the methods used. You got to respect the strength of a powerlifter and the hours of heavy lifting / training that went into... And the hours of training and careful dieting that goes into building a competitive physique for a BB comp should be equally respected in my opinion.

Is there even a bodybuilding sub section mod?
In the bodybuilding section bodybuilders can be called pussies/gay by powerlifters.

I wonder what would happen if it was the other way around.

I just cant decide which is more interesting, comical or whatever.

Standing on a Dias in a pair of sluggos in front of a crowd of screaming men

Or

Standing on a Dias in a jump suit with belt, elbow wraps, knee wraps in front of a crowd of screaming men

I could go on but I think we need to focus on the fact that we lift shit which is not too common.

:)

You're a clever man Andy lol

Whats with the PL'ers vs BB'ers attitude on here??? Fark its becoming like the Gaza Strip! lol

Peace people. Peace.

They are similar, yet very different disciplines. Both respectable, both get you 'stronger', both are admirable, in very different ways. In both camps, people can & do take drugs, use steroids & peps, for largely different reasons, which end up being very much the same in the end.

AND....almost every single person on these boards, uses a hybrid approach to their lifting & training that borrows the best from both BB'ing & PL'ing.

So settle down lads.

I see a BB'er on stage, I used to watch my Uncles compete as a little girl & all I see is the tremendous amount of hard work & discipline they've put in to acquire their physique.

A PL'er gets on stage & all I see is the tremendous amount of effort & tenacity they have used to get them stronger.

Both are incredibly admirable disciplines.

BB'ers just often 'look' better, because developing the muscles of the physique is their primary focus.

But suffice to say, most of us, including me, use schools of thought & training techniques from both camps. It doesn't mean you have to, no one way is 'right' or 'better'.

There are 1001 ways to build, shape & condition a body. There are 1001 ways to get strong.

Sometimes, its our differences, in the end, that are the very things that make us so similar?

Destinations are often very much the same, however, different roads can be travelled. The important thing, is that we all arrive where WE each are going.

Now hug it out already! :p

Saw sonny schmidt do a 270kg squat for a single at Findlays once.

In power lifting terms, does not sound much. But, if we take form into account, and i do, Sonny's squat was huge as it was very strict and upright like an olympic lifting squat.

As for bench, the best i saw him doe was 166kg, same as me at time; only difference was his chest was twice as big as mine.

Yup.

The irony of course is that PLs view BBers as vain for trying to build a muscular body (that they believe contains no functional strength), whereas PLs try to lift ridiculous weights essentially for the same reason (vanity). And of course, being able to deadlift 300kgs or squat 200kgs is not really functional anyway. When are you ever going to need to deadlift 300kgs or squat 200kgs?

Like Franco above, I have respect for both. But I think PL and BB have much more in common than the PLs who mock BBs would like to acknowledge.

Yup.

The irony of course is that PLs view BBers as vain for trying to build a muscular body (that they believe contains no functional strength), whereas PLs try to lift ridiculous weights essentially for the same reason (vanity). And of course, being able to deadlift 300kgs or squat 200kgs is not really functional anyway. When are you ever going to need to deadlift 300kgs or squat 200kgs?

Like Franco above, I have respect for both. But I think PL and BB have much more in common than the PLs who mock BBs would like to acknowledge.
Very good pistachio

Oh yay, its the PL vs BB thing again. Lame.

I'd like to point out a few things here before it gets any worse.

You won't find many real powerlifters here bagging out bodybuilding. If you do see it then its usually a wannabe strength zealot making a dick of themselves. Once you get into to actual competitive level you don't see much rivalry at all, and only light-hearted ribbing where it does exist.

None of you are bodybuilders so stop trying to act like you're being victimised by powerlifters when all that's happening is a lot of immature arguing by gym rats and wannabes.

Is there even a bodybuilding sub section mod?
In the bodybuilding section bodybuilders can be called pussies/gay by powerlifters.

I wonder what would happen if it was the other way around.

Wingers is the only one that calls anyone gay and he isn't a powerlifter. He just likes to follow them around and carry stuff for them.

Bazza pokes a bit of shit but at least he knows enough about what he's saying to make sense most of the time.

You won't find many real powerlifters here bagging out bodybuilding. If you do see it then its usually a wannabe strength zealot making a dick of themselves. Once you get into to actual competitive level you don't see much rivalry at all, and only light-hearted ribbing where it does exist.

None of you are bodybuilders so stop trying to act like you're being victimised by powerlifters when all that's happening is a lot of immature arguing by gym rats and wannabes.

that.

SO your saying just because someone has never jumped on stage and competed they are not a bodybuilder, what if they are planning on competing and building the body ready to jump on stage does this still not qualify them as a bodybuilder?

And wouldnt this be the same as a PL who loves to lift heavy things BUT has never competed in a PL comp????

I agree with you in principle, but there is still one point in your post that is a subtle dig at BBers. And this is what Neddy has mentioned.

It's how you define BBers. To you, BBers are only BBers if they step on stage and compete. Yet any person who enters a PLing comp is a 'competitive PLer', despite the fact that I could lift more than many of them.

I don't feel victimised by anyone on here, or insulted or anything else.

But there is definitely a distinct sense of eliticism from PLers on here. As a PLer, you can enter a comp every weekend if you really wanted to. As a BBer, entering just ONE comp is a massive journey.

I'd call myself a BBer, but I don't know if I'd ever compete. I'd never call myself a PLer, but I might very well enter a comp at some point.

SO your saying just because someone has never jumped on stage and competed they are not a bodybuilder, what if they are planning on competing and building the body ready to jump on stage does this still not qualify them as a bodybuilder?

And wouldnt this be the same as a PL who loves to lift heavy things BUT has never competed in a PL comp????

Yes. If you haven't competed you are not a PL'er/BB'er. You train that way but do not actually do IT as training is only part of the parcel. Competing is a whole different level.

Planning to be a bb'er does not make you a bb'er. Bulking, cutting, tanning, prepping and posing makes you a bb'er.

I'm in the "why can't we all get along" bandwagon....Always been a fan of Arnie back in the day, and just starting to truley appreciate powerlifting now

I agree with Pistachio, PL & BB are pretty close. Guys like Bazza, Pistachio, Sticky...have all posted pics of their physique's...they all squat and deadlift.
Haven't seen any impressive pics of someone who doesn't do them....

Yes. If you haven't competed you are not a PL'er/BB'er. You train that way but do not actually do IT as training is only part of the parcel. Competing is a whole different level.

Planning to be a bb'er does not make you a bb'er. Bulking, cutting, tanning, prepping and posing makes you a bb'er.

See my post above.

I agree with you in principle, but there is still one point in your post that is a subtle dig at BBers. And this is what Neddy has mentioned.

It's how you define BBers. To you, BBers are only BBers if they step on stage and compete. Yet any person who enters a PLing comp is a 'competitive PLer', despite the fact that I could lift more than many of them.

I don't feel victimised by anyone on here, or insulted or anything else.

But there is definitely a distinct sense of eliticism from PLers on here. As a PLer, you can enter a comp every weekend if you really wanted to. As a BBer, entering just ONE comp is a massive journey.

I'd call myself a BBer, but I don't know if I'd ever compete. I'd never call myself a PLer, but I might very well enter a comp at some point.

Fuck me. Here we go.

Let me make one thing clear first. Before I was even a wannabe PL'er I was a wannabe BB'er. I spent 18 months bulking in prep for a comp but ended up bailing due to an injury and some life changes. I am still an avid BB fan and spend every year waiting for the Arnold and Olympia to come around so I can cheer for Phil Heath and boo Jay Cutler.

Anybody can enter a BB comp as well as a PL comp but in both cases if they haven't put themselves through months of comp prep they will more than likely get owned. Don't try calling BB'ing more special or more arduous. Ask any elite level PL'er what they put themselves throught for comps and its just as big of a journey as a BB'er.

And I stand by the competition requirement for the title. I don't care if you're stronger or bigger than everybody else, having the balls to get on the platform/stage is where you earn the title.

"Haven't seen any impressive pics of someone who doesn't do them...."

Look up a guy called Gary Luer, sure he did a few squats but never saw him do deadlifts.

I asked him once has he always trained relatively light, focusing on feel and form, and he said yes in terms of most of his improvement.

There are other huge bb's in the US who trained almost exclusively on machines. When i trained in LA for six weeks, i saw not one person doing deadlifts.

Never saw Sonny Schmidt do dead lifts ever, and he came 6th in Mr Olympia.

Exactly, your not a BB or PL unless you compete and calling yourself one is disrespectful to those who actually put in the hard work and get up on stage.

Just because you train like a BB/PL doesnt make you one.