• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on my beginners workout

zan777

Setting myself some goals to try and build some strength/size/power for afl season starting around march/april.

The program is built around Squats, Bench, and Deadlift/Power Cleans.

From there i have some somewhat core barbell exercises that i vary on a day to day cycle (T-bar row, chins, presses, and torosonator twists for core)

if you don't know what i mean by torsonator twists have a look here: Torsonator For Building Ultimate Abs - YouTube

Wednesday is just to mix things up aswell by still keeping squat, bench and dead but making things different.

What do you think of reps, sets and exercise order?

Also would you recomend 1 extra rest day or do you think i will be fine?

cheers

Sunday
Power Clean 3x5
Bench 3x6
Squat 3x8
Torsonator Twist 3x30:30
Chin Ups 3x max

Monday
rest

Tuesday
Power Cleans 3x5
Bench Press 3x6
Squat 3x8
Overhead Press 3x6
T-Bar Row 3x6

Wednesday

Wednesday
Front Squat 3x8
Incline Bench 3x6
SLDL 3x5
Torsonator Twist 3x30:30
Bicep Curls 3x6

Thursday
Power Cleans 3x5
Bench Press 3x6
Squat 3x8
Chin ups 3x max
Overhead Press 3x6

Friday
Speed/Plyometrics/Agility

Saturday
Squat 3x8
Bench 3x6
Deadlift 3x5
T-Bar Row 3x6
Bicep Curl 3x6

Attachments

• workout.jpg
    workout.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Not too keen on the torsinator thingo

Template looks alright, make sure you progress, if that stalls drop the Friday shit.

Is there a reason you're building your own program rather than following a ready-to-roll one?

You better being eating huge amounts of food and sleeping every spare minute u get. Squatting 5 times a week n pressing five times a week will burn you out in no time. When doing full body workouts generally 3 days a week is plenty. Eg train mon,wed,fri. You can do conditioning on off days

Thats a very big program for a begginer, What are your main lifts atm?\

I never touched a weight untill a a year and a half ago, Pretty much started on the Begginer BB program, when in consitanst, Progress is great, allows time for recovery, and allows time for sport specific training aswell. Combined with a solid diet you cant go wrong mate.

P.s If your putting 100% into your lifts and going heavy, you will not be ssquatting 2 days in a row. Nor anything for two days in a row, Unles like said as above, Eat and sleep right through till your next session you might be able to recover :)

You better being eating huge amounts of food and sleeping every spare minute u get. Squatting 5 times a week n pressing five times a week will burn you out in no time. When doing full body workouts generally 3 days a week is plenty. Eg train mon,wed,fri. You can do conditioning on off days

gotta agree with this guy here, that's alot of volume and those are generally very taxing movements, your CNS needs time to recover too and 3 times per week will be plenty especially if you are only trying to get in shape for footy

gotta agree with this guy here, that would be a lot of volume for me and those are generally very taxing movements.

My CNS appears to need time to recover too and 3 times per week would be plenty especially if I was only trying to get in shape for footy

Fixed.

What are your lifts currently at?

If i was prepping for afl id be piling on the strength work 3 days a week with one day of conditioning. Then at the start of next year work on your endurance and just maintain strength.

Footy players run like 14km a game. You only have a limited window for the strenth component, make the most of it. Working 5 days a week is not how you maximise gains.

What are your lifts currently at?

If i was prepping for afl id be piling on the strength work 3 days a week with one day of conditioning. Then at the start of next year work on your endurance and just maintain strength.

Footy players run like 14km a game. You only have a limited window for the strenth component, make the most of it. Working 5 days a week is not how you maximise gains.

I agree full body 3 times a week is the best place to start. Don't bother with powercleans unless technique is good.

Unless at a very high level of strength currently, you can easily gain strength throughout the Pre season and even into the season.

It seems a little crazy but wouldn't be impossibly if handled right. I'd suggest an extra rest day and this could be done by reducing one of the weights days to just squat and a press then tacking your plyo work in afterwards.

And just for the sake of your shoulders and tris you could maybe alternate bench press and overhead press through the program rather than doubling up on them all the time.

Might be a bit too much volume, not enough time for recovery if you ask me, thats a lot of squatting i'm all for volume but maybe you should tone it down a little, squats mon-fri, moderately light front squats on wed, same with bench. i'd only bench 3x max if i were you, keep incline as an assistance don't go too hard with it, keep it simple if you have only just started you will see results don't over do it