• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Mate u said ur oppinion and thats cool, i dont wanna argue with you, this thread will probly be shutdown like last one. Just let people read the info.

Lol. You really don't get it do you. What ever method you use, high reps, super slow reps ect you need to progress with it in some way. This does not necissairily mean more weight, which you seem to be getting confused on, but you have to get stronger in some way. No one gets bigger by not progressing or going backwards unless they up the drugs.

Lol. You really don't get it do you. What ever method you use, high reps, super slow reps ect you need to progress with it in some way. This does not necissairily mean more weight, which you seem to be getting confused on, but you have to get stronger in some way. No one gets bigger by not progressing or going backwards unless they up the drugs.

Yer ur 100% right, U have to progress, which means more weight, higher reps, less rest between sets. If your getting weaker, chances are your losing muscle, but like i said training with high intensity doesnt mean ur lifting *light* it just means ur training way harder.

Like he said train for development and str will come, he mentioned somewhere that most pro bodybuilders didnt write down what they lifted in a workout, they didnt give a fuck.......... as other people write down every set and reps they do for how much weight and then next week try and improve on that > that is training for str. which means there testing there str in the workout, as with high intensity training u dont even think about the weight or how much ur lifting, ur only goal is to go in the gym and demolish ur muscles and walk out.> not( im gonna try and lift more then last week)

AGAIN hes talking about what is the best motor unit recruitment to breakdown muscle fibres and that is training lighter with more reps and shorter breaks is much better for physique enhancement then heavier loads with longer breaks.

Last edited:
Nice article, well written. Basically he is just saying that one way is more effective when the goal is muscle size, not that training for strength is not effective at all, just not as much.

I still think there is plenty of value to writing down your session lifts, if only to remember what body groups / exercises I am up to.

Nice article, well written. Basically he is just saying that one way is more effective when the goal is muscle size, not that training for strength is not effective at all, just not as much.

I still think there is plenty of value to writing down your session lifts, if only to remember what body groups / exercises I am up to.

Thanx mate, glad you actually understand what the article is telling us.

I love how someone can have virtually zero actual experience but pay for some Internet coaching and in a couple weeks be an expert on all things training and diet by just requrgitating a few articles.

What pro BBs do is of little relevance to how most of us beginner to intermediate trainers should train. Saying someone new to build muscle should be training with advanced techniques like the pros do is just as stupid as having a beginner copy an elite powerlifter and a couple sessions in be doing reverse band benching to boards.

I love how someone can have virtually zero actual experience but pay for some Internet coaching and in a couple weeks be an expert on all things training and diet by just requrgitating a few articles.

What pro BBs do is of little relevance to how most of us beginner to intermediate trainers should train. Saying someone new to build muscle should be training with advanced techniques like the pros do is just as stupid as having a beginner copy an elite powerlifter and a couple sessions in be doing reverse band benching to boards.

Lol dude im not calling myself an expert, i just posted the article up for people to read. Nor am i forcing people they should employ these methods> i Have just posted the article as people might find this a good read, also if u read part 2 he (scott abel) has tons of studies to back his theories up. If the way u train works for you bazza, then by all means keep doing what ur doin buddy :).
But if u disagree with scotts methods, thats fine.. it doesnt change the fact that he has trained tons of champions using these methods and turned average people into people with ripped to the shithouse pysiques.

Last edited:
Anecdotally... i've found over 15 years of training off and on... i respond much better to higher volume at moderate weight than low volume at near my maxes (in terms of changing my physique)

(of course, when you stop for a year ever 6 months and eat chinese every night, none of that matters :) ... but i do find, for me, Volume is important. (of course, lifting weights i can do 30 reps of doesn't seem to do much of anything other than help with fat loss)

I'm talking rank amateur here of course, but after my own experiences, i just don't know that rippletoe has all the answers if the goal is muscle rather than strength. (particularly for those such as me starting from 'big and fat' rather than skinny)

Success leaves clues mate, seriouslly how many bodybuilders train heavy as in, do 5 reps to failure then rest 3 minutes then do 5 reps again...... probly 5% out of the 100% bodybuilding population and they are genetic freaks like ronnie coleman which scott explained lol.

Last edited:
Anecdotally... i've found over 15 years of training off and on... i respond much better to higher volume at moderate weight than low volume at near my maxes (in terms of changing my physique)

(of course, when you stop for a year ever 6 months and eat chinese every night, none of that matters :) ... but i do find, for me, Volume is important. (of course, lifting weights i can do 30 reps of doesn't seem to do much of anything other than help with fat loss)

I'm talking rank amateur here of course, but after my own experiences, i just don't know that rippletoe has all the answers if the goal is muscle rather than strength. (particularly for those such as me starting from 'big and fat' rather than skinny)

Thank you mate, im glad you to understand.

Success leaves clues mate, seriouslly how many bodybuilders train heavy as in, do 5 reps to failure then rest 3 minutes then do 5 reps again...... probly 5% out of the 100% bodybuilding population and they are genetic freaks like ronnie coleman which scott explained lol.

to be honest... I'd rather see studies based on the guy at the gym who has 10kg more muscle than me rather than genetic freaks (of any description) that i wouldn't even _want_ to look like!

Some much material on the internet seems to be either aimed at couch potatoes for whom a 3km walk a day is a big step up, or 'pro' powerlifters/body builders... I'd rather see a lot more realistic material aimed at ordinary blokes (and not all for skinny guys starting at 60kg's!)

Fuck me, that proves it. You did not read or cannot comprehend my posts at all and then just post any random shit that I wasn't even saying.

When did I mention 1 thing about doing 5 rep set with 3 minutes rests. Or mention anything about low rep high rest sets.

I never said you need to do low reps high rest. I never said its is the only or best way.

I sad you need to get stronger IN SOME WAY. No doubt you will miss this again. Getting stronger IN SOME WAY could mean, more reps, more sets, less rest more volume, slower reps ect. I have said this the whole way along but somehow you miss this over and over and don't ask me how you got back to your 5 rep argument, which I wasn't even remotely even talking about.

I sad you need to get stronger IN SOME WAY. No doubt you will miss this again. Getting stronger IN SOME WAY could mean, more reps, more sets, less rest more volume, slower reps ect. I have said this the whole way along but somehow you miss this over and over and don't ask me how you got back to your 5 rep argument, which I wasn't even remotely even talking about.

I'm not sure there is an argument here, the article is saying however that 'traditionally measured strength' (to paraphrase) in terms of 1RM's don't neccessarily need to increase dramatically for size gains. Maintaining intensity would require increasing 'something' due to the training effect, so you seem to be agreeing with the argument Bazza...

Fuck me, that proves it. You did not read or cannot comprehend my posts at all and then just post any random shit that I wasn't even saying.

When did I mention 1 thing about doing 5 rep set with 3 minutes rests. Or mention anything about low rep high rest sets.

I never said you need to do low reps high rest. I never said its is the only or best way.

Yes mate and i agreed with you, but the fact that ur saying scott abel is full of shit has me confused, which is why i have to keep explaining the same shit to you over and over.

Yes mate and i agreed with you, but the fact that ur saying scott abel is full of shit has me confused, which is why i have to keep explaining the same shit to you over and over.

Your not explaining anything to me, your just saying shit that I wasn't even talking about.

I agree that there are other ways to build strength than low rep training, I never said otherwise. Low rep training can and does work for gaining muscle for many people but its not the only way and i never said it was. To say weight on the bar or strength doesn't matter is just bullshit. Which ever method you use you need to get steonger. If you are lifting the same weight the same way as you are now in 2 year time good luck growing any muscle unless you just keep upping the gear you smash into your arse.

you don't even think about how much your lifting, do you blindfold yourself and just pick up two dumbells from the rack? doesn't matter what weight as long as you demolish them?
Still not sure why shorter breaks will lead to more muscle hypertrophy. Conditioning yes, hypertrophy, dunno.

why is every "bodybuilder" so scared to be strong?

Arguably shorter breaks help because it's an aid to assist in raising the intensity and thus causing more muscle trauma as many people struggle to maximize their intensity ?

image001.png

image004.jpg

I'm sure this has been posted here before but the guy above was an decent powerlifter who went on a cut there is an article about it on Tnation.

I'm not saying its the only way to train, but one way or another you have to be getting stronger to get bigger whether thats more reps at a lower weight or more weight at the same rep range, if your not progressing upwards somehow your not getting bigger simple.

Alot of what he said in the second article about lifting for longevity has plenty of merit. Any training method works but heavy compound has to be the most efficent way to train.

Pumpin I'm not disagreeing with what this guy says rather saying there is many ways to get swole