• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
why would you train a strength program if your only concerned with bodybuilding?

If your concerned with bodybuilding, you would be more concerned with doing the exercise correctly and getting the proper contraction of the muscle. It's not lifting the heaviest amount of weight, but you will be getting stronger over time. Not as strong if you were to only be focused on strength training. You would get to a point where you can be called strong.

What I am saying is that bodybuilding training is essentially the same as powerlifting training. You're just trying to increase your strength over a different rep range.
Yes, making the muscle do work is important as well, but it's pushing your weights up that gives the gains

Volume is important also, but you can't increase volume exponentially - just as you can't exponentially increase your ability make the muscle work. Once you have everything in check then there is only ONE thing that drives progress and that is the weight on the bar

Hey oni your relatively strong but small..................

Mind blown.

Just saying no offence intended, kinda fucks up your theory.

20 Rep Squats - Starting Strength Wiki

"back in the golden age of bodybuilding, before expensive supplements and better living through chemistry, this is how the old school weight lifters got BIG"

Behind-the-Neck Press: 3x12
Squat: 1x20
Pull-Overs: 1x20
Bench Press: 3x12
Bent-over Rows: 3x15
Stiff-legged Deadlift: 1x15
Shrug: 1x15
Pull-Overs: 1x20

Progress is made by starting light and adding weight to the bar (you got it) every session

Hey oni your relatively strong but small..................

Mind blown.

Just saying no offence intended, kinda fucks up your theory.

No it doesn't, you're not reading what I am saying correctly.
Powerlifters train to increase 1RM
Bodybuilders train to increase 8RM, 10RM, 20RM or any other rep range above a 5RM. You increase your bench to 20x140kg, you're a big motherfucker. Even powerlifters that achieve this are HUGE. Just look at Ryan Kenelly who benches 405lb for 20 reps

Other than that, the programming is essentially the same. You hit the main exercise hard then go down into assistance. For example a common chest day:

Bench: few sets of 8
Incline db bench: few sets of 10-12
flies: few sets of 10-15

Then a 5/3/1 bench day:
Bench: 5/3/1
Bench: 5x10
Arms: whatever

Ryan_Kennelly_Double_Biceps.jpg

rk1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually agree with you oni, I'm just been a ****. Last post pretty much summed it up perfectly.

How the hell is the muscle going to get bigger without you staring at it and focussing on the contraction, and WILLING IT TO GROW??

Wow. Just wow. This thread went from retarded in the first place to fucked up beyond all belief.

And I'm loving it how once again most of the main antagonists have next to no training experience under their belt.

Ya'll need to shut the fuck up and train.

Bodybuilders do not train to increase their 8rm, 10rm or 20rm... They train for big muscles.

How hard is it...?

Yes their lifts will in time increase, but that is not the goal.

Get it?

Bodybuilders do not train to increase their 8rm, 10rm or 20rm... They train for big muscles.

How hard is it...?

Yes their lifts will in time increase, but that is not the goal.

Get it?

Hi, hope you can help. My chest SUCKS. I need my chest to increase in size... I bench roughly 80kg and have done a tng 77.5kg and a paused 75kg.

What do you recommend? Answer seriously and carefully - thanks

Hi, hope you can help. My chest SUCKS. I need my chest to increase in size... I bench roughly 80kg and have done a tng 77.5kg and a paused 75kg.

What do you recommend? Answer seriously and carefully - thanks

get your bench up to 160kg tng :cool:

You should have a decent chest being able to bench 80 for reps. How about not using your lats when you bench as someone said earlier.

Tng is touch n go

Last edited:
0ni, I will keep this short. minimal weight and try to lift with only your pecs, lots of exercises lots of volume. Keep going until your boobies can't handle any more then do a couple more sets. Oh. And eat.

0ni, I will keep this short. minimal weight and try to lift with only your pecs, lots of exercises lots of volume. Keep going until your boobies can't handle any more then do a couple more sets. Oh. And eat.

BRB, having massive pecs from lifting heavy weight often and always with a goal of having larger pecs and a larger bench. Exercise selection being 50% flat bench and a few other flat bench variations.

Oh, and using my lats, shoulders and tris to lift too!

BRB, having massive pecs from lifting heavy weight often and always with a goal of having larger pecs and a larger bench. Exercise selection being 50% flat bench and a few other flat bench variations.

Oh, and using my lats, shoulders and tris to lift too!

Hey El Freako, what are your thoughts on a good BB type program? Would be interested in what a few more experienced lifters recommend for hypertrophy, powerlifters or not, right down to the exercises themselves.

Hey El Freako, what are your thoughts on a good BB type program? Would be interested in what a few more experienced lifters recommend for hypertrophy, powerlifters or not, right down to the exercises themselves.

What level of trainee are we talking about? Training experience? Lifts? Stats? Development?

What level of trainee are we talking about? Training experience? Lifts? Stats? Development?

I'm going out on a limb here by saying a "good" routine is the one the trainee believes in.

The bodybiulder is is going to look good in spite go the program rather than because of it.

The bodybiulder is just 1% of the population, then there is the rest of us.

I think you just answered my question in regards to myself. Stick to a compound beginner program until lifts reach an intermediate level.

But say an intermediate lifter who can hit the numbers suggested by Markos, has been training at least 2 years consistently and who's primary concern is to build muscle, would they then be looking at a body part split?