• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Standard bar - Max load?

U

Upper dorsimus

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with standard Barbells (pauls warehouse or Rebel) bending or snapping?

Deadlifting 170kg with no problems at the moment but just wanted to see if anyone has bent or broken one before and if so at what weight?

I deadlifted 200 with my standard ABC bar and it was fine. Squatting considerably less bent the shit out of it though. Just keep going till its fucked.

I deadlift 180kg with a $55 no name made in China bar, no issues yet, also squat 154kg with a 20 year old home made bar, with no knurling what so ever, and it seems to be fine. They are not huge weights but the bars show no signs of stress.

I think $500 plus bar are nice to have if you have the $$$ spare, or if you are lifting huge weights, but I have not found the need to own one in 25 years of home training.

Leaving a bar loaded and not properly supported for long periods of time will bend it - it happens with both cheap and expensive bars. Dropping a loaded bar on a bench so the middle of the bar hits the bench or a block will instantly wreck it. (fitness first knob alert - stiff leg deads standing on the bench)

i had 40kg on a clip together hollow bar that came with my ebay bench set for $50.

Have now upgraded toa whole bunch of no name bars think i got 5 for about $10 each. Love the deep knurling on some

Not a problem yet. Mind you no spatic weight. But no sign of shitting them self at all.

I'm chasing a standard plate collection. My gym is too small to keep maneuvering the Olympic bar out for assistance exercises.

Standard bars and weights have thier place in the gym.

Places like Big W want $3 per kg for standard plates or sell a shitty 50kg plastic pack for $50.

I'm chasing a standard plate collection. My gym is too small to keep maneuvering the Olympic bar out for assistance exercises.

Standard bars and weights have thier place in the gym.

Places like Big W want $3 per kg for standard plates or sell a shitty 50kg plastic pack for $50.

Heaps of standard plates for sale on gumtree and ebay, all the peeps that clean out the garage and their just happy to see em gone.

Heaps of standard plates for sale on gumtree and ebay, all the peeps that clean out the garage and their just happy to see em gone.

Thanks fluffmeister. I watch them on eBay but have very little time to pick things up. However I Never pass up a genuine bargain!:cool:

I want a better standard bar. Mine has screw on thingos