• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym Direct

So you want a quality rack but your gonna buy a budget barbell.

I'd save the dough on the rack and get a decent bar.

It is pretty pricey though, personally I'd rather get the MMPR (or similar) then put more money into better quality bar or higher quantity plates.

I rather do both. Get the commercial rack, the better bar and more plates.

Isn't the non commercial rack rated to 700lb. I would prefer more than that and not have to upgrade later on.

I rather do both. Get the commercial rack, the better bar and more plates.

Isn't the non commercial rack rated to 700lb. I would prefer more than that and not have to upgrade later on.

That's 320kg. I'm not going to count deadlifts since they'll be off the ground. By time my squat gets to 320kg it'd be time to consider upgrading/replacing rack either way, no?

That's 320kg. I'm not going to count deadlifts since they'll be off the ground. By time my squat gets to 320kg it'd be time to consider upgrading/replacing rack either way, no?

First thing, I dont want to ever have to replace my rack, buy quality and buy once. I hate replacing shit.

Second, you use your rack for more than just squats. Things like power shrugs, rack pulls, pin squats can easily get over 320kg pretty quick.

Why not just buy exclusively eleiko then, why fuck around with muscle motion just re-mortgage your house and buy quality the first time.

Why not just buy exclusively eleiko then, why fuck around with muscle motion just re-mortgage your house and buy quality the first time.

Because you don't need to get to eleiko standard to find stuff you will never need to replace for a home gym.

The commercial mm rack will handle more than anyone will lift. I can get a Texas power bar or ABC for shit load less than an eleiko and I don't need eleiko plates.

But a non commercial 700lb rated rack will be at or over it's limits if you get serious about strength training for a number of years and need to be replaced.

Because you don't need to get to eleiko standard to find stuff you will never need to replace for a home gym.

The commercial mm rack will handle more than anyone will lift. I can get a Texas power bar or ABC for shit load less than an eleiko and I don't need eleiko plates.

But a non commercial 700lb rated rack will be at or over it's limits if you get serious about strength training for a number of years and need to be replaced.

Speaking of ABC bars, why don't they have prices on their website? Makes me sad. Thats probably what I'll get.

Speaking of ABC bars, why don't they have prices on their website? Makes me sad. Thats probably what I'll get.
The standard BOP220 should be less than $500 delivered. I got mine for around $470-$480 a few months back... I agree it is annoying that they don't have the pricing info for anything on their site though, would make making a decision a lot easier

Ive used a texas power bar once and an ABC custom bar, never a pendlay though.

And you still rate the gym direct bar??

I haven't used that bar before but read a few reviews sledging the knurl and spin on the bearings.

I've used the 600kg thrust bearing bars and the one i used was very shit. Bent, very whippy and shit knurling.

The 1500lb bar is thick and crap knurling but at least it's strong. Good bar for rack pulls.

Texas powerbars are very nice. Very rough knurling. I really like mine. Would get one again.

Pendlay bar is good for O lifts and passable for deadlifts. Nice bit of whip for O lifting and deads but while the knurling is nice for O lifting its too fine for very heavy deads.

And you still rate the gym direct bar??

I haven't used that bar before but read a few reviews sledging the knurl and spin on the bearings.

Yeah I still rate it, personally I wasnt a fan of the couple of ABC bars I used.

I was also taking into account the the person that made the post was looking for a cheaper bar and didnt want to spend $500is.

I agree that the knurling on it could be a little better but I like the whip I guess youd call it when doing oly lifts with the bar, I also have no problem with the spin I find its actually pretty good.

Like Bazza said the knurl on the texas bar is a monster, its the main thing that stood out to me. To be fair though it was a long time ago and I only used it once, nice bar though.

Last edited:
i don't mind about $. just don't wanna spend $500 on a bar that lasts 5 years instead of $200 on a bar that lasts 3.

at the moment i'm going with a quote i got from ABC on a BO22OBN or should i get the BOP220? also, their olympic rubber grip plates. worth it or should i just pick up some from local orbit for half price?

i don't mind about $. just don't wanna spend $500 on a bar that lasts 5 years instead of $200 on a bar that lasts 3.

at the moment i'm going with a quote i got from ABC on a BO22OBN or should i get the BOP220? also, their olympic rubber grip plates. worth it or should i just pick up some from local orbit for half price?

I've got the BOP220, you will not be disappointed.. Best bar I've ever layed my hands on..

Plates are plates I suppose, If you have the money the ABC rubber plates are nice..

Going with bop220 and blue rubber grips from Gymcare (located in perth) they deal with ABC. also gonna check out their hammer strength half rack. o_O i'm thinkin it's gonna be about 3g's though.